Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #1141
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
Dude. You poked the bear. Don't poke the bear.
my bad. way too many beers while posting.
i need to watch out doing that & step back.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps

eakins screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 12:46 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #1142
thisflatearth
Pro-Commuter

Oddometer: 929
Big difference between the 2011 TE630 and a new Terra?

There is a 2011 TE630 for $5799 with 215 miles on it at a local dealer compared to the new Terra price?

If anyone is interested in the TE630 its here in Jersey
http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/3475526657.html
thisflatearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #1143
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I test drove a Terra today...drove a couple hundred miles to a dealer with the intent of buying but didn't. To me, the bike is just too heavy. Anywhere but the smoothest fireroads or trails and you are asking for a broken leg - even with off-road tires. Where I ride I have to expect to occasionally come across deep ruts and rocks and this bike won't cut it. In all fairness, the engine seemed great, the brakes worked well, but slow-speed maneuvering, which you will need to do when off of pavement was difficult due to the weight and perhaps a street-biased geometry.

And what is with that automatic-up kickstand and the below-frame brake pedal? How could any company do such things?

Add to that the need to take the bike in for code reading (my WR250R provides the codes so you don't need a reader) and I couldn't justify the bike, for what I do.

This may fill a niche for adventure riding, but will not replace the outdated XR or DR japanese bikes for a lot of people, IMO.

Tom
I agree, I was kinda excited about the terra at first, but once I read the specs and saw the 408lb weight, I realized it was just another heavy beemer disguised as a husky dual sport
Except for KTM it appears, everybody else seems to be making their dual sports heavier and heavier. I think they're heading away from the "dual" in dual sport......maybe they should start calling them "street-sports"
Old 12-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #1144
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I agree, I was kinda excited about the terra at first, but once I read the specs and saw the 408lb weight, I realized it was just another heavy beemer disguised as a husky dual sport
Except for KTM it appears, everybody else seems to be making their dual sports heavier and heavier. I think they're heading away from the "dual" in dual sport......maybe they should start calling them "street-sports"
I don't have shares in husky, but this is not a KTM. It's not as light, it's missing a few ponies and its not as good in the trails.
But what it is, 33% cheaper priced, smother motor, more comfortable seat and probably a better range. It's no rally bike.
This bike is virtually the same curb weight as KLR. Looks like Husky has its sights on Kawasaki and not KTM.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #1145
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
I don't have shares in husky, but this is not a KTM. It's not as light, it's missing a few ponies and its not as good in the trails.
But what it is, 33% cheaper priced, smother motor, more comfortable seat and probably a better range. It's no rally bike.
This bike is virtually the same curb weight as KLR. Looks like Husky has its sights on Kawasaki and not KTM.

Cheers
I agree. I have a plated Beta 400RR and Kawasaki Versys. The Beta is basically a street legal dirt bike and will handle gnarly single track with the best of them but it's not good on the asphalt. The Versys is great on the asphalt and I have done a lot of long distance touring on it travelling 500 to 700 miles in a day but it sucks when the pavement ends. I was hoping the Versy would be at least adequate on gravel roads but it's not so I'm gonna trade it in on a Terra because I want a bike that is competent on the asphalt and still be able to handle off road duties up to two track jeep trails, and I think the Terra will be ideal for that. If you pay attention to what the bike was actually designed to do (be as good on and off pavement as it can be) it looks like Husky pretty much got it right. Of course the Terra is too heavy to be a good dirt bike, but the weight that works against you on the trails makes the bike stable on the asphalt and contributes to it being a good hwy bike. All those people who are critical of the Terra because it's not ideal for the dirt are overlooking the fact that the bikes they favor are inferior to it when it comes to riding on the hwy. It just depends what you want, and if you want a bike that you can ride a couple of hundred miles of asphalt and a hundred miles of FSRs in a day then I think it'd be hard to find a bike better than the Terra, and I'm really looking forward to finding out first hand.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #1146
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
I agree. I have a plated Beta 400RR and Kawasaki Versys. The Beta is basically a street legal dirt bike and will handle gnarly single track with the best of them but it's not good on the asphalt. The Versys is great on the asphalt and I have done a lot of long distance touring on it travelling 500 to 700 miles in a day but it sucks when the pavement ends. I was hoping the Versy would be at least adequate on gravel roads but it's not so I'm gonna trade it in on a Terra because I want a bike that is competent on the asphalt and still be able to handle off road duties up to two track jeep trails, and I think the Terra will be ideal for that. If you pay attention to what the bike was actually designed to do (be as good on and off pavement as it can be) it looks like Husky pretty much got it right. Of course the Terra is too heavy to be a good dirt bike, but the weight that works against you on the trails makes the bike stable on the asphalt and contributes to it being a good hwy bike. All those people who are critical of the Terra because it's not ideal for the dirt are overlooking the fact that the bikes they favor are inferior to it when it comes to riding on the hwy. It just depends what you want, and if you want a bike that you can ride a couple of hundred miles of asphalt and a hundred miles of FSRs in a day then I think it'd be hard to find a bike better than the Terra, and I'm really looking forward to finding out first hand.

John
Good points guys....I guess I was just hoping it would be more dirt oriented, being a husky and all. One thing I will say is I think its going to be a great bike for its purpose
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #1147
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonpilot View Post
of course the day after I bought it, we had a low of 9 degrees and a few inches of snow covering tracks. I will get some miles on it when it aint quite as cold. Maybe by the weekend it will get a little more mild.

Skid plate, Skid plate, Skid plate.... Mandatory if you plan to venture off the beaten path.

Did I mention a skid plate??
Hey! Where did you get yours? I'm waiting for one to show up in Montrose......let me know how you are still liking it!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #1148
wagonpilot
Freeeeze

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
Hey! Where did you get yours? I'm waiting for one to show up in Montrose......let me know how you are still liking it!
Got it from the dealer in Montrose. It was the first one they got in. It was only there for a couple days. They say they ordered six in all.

I have only dabbled around the neighborhood since after the snow. It looks like it will snow again this weekend too. i may sneak it out again if there are some dry spots.

It does neighborhood dabbling just fine!!
wagonpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #1149
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport View Post
This sucks? WTF?
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #1150
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post

John
All true, but I suppose if we are after a 80/20% road/dirt bike, we should just buy the Strada. That's what I don't quite get. The 16Xkg is ok if it means it can carry a load, but I can't get past the sub-200mm travel. Given we have the Strada for road performance, I think the Terra should at least match the KLR's travel. Hopefully for Mark 2?..
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #1151
Jao
rider

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I test drove a Terra today...drove a couple hundred miles to a dealer with the intent of buying but didn't. To me, the bike is just too heavy. Anywhere but the smoothest fireroads or trails and you are asking for a broken leg - even with off-road tires. Where I ride I have to expect to occasionally come across deep ruts and rocks and this bike won't cut it. In all fairness, the engine seemed great, the brakes worked well, but slow-speed maneuvering, which you will need to do when off of pavement was difficult due to the weight and perhaps a street-biased geometry.

And what is with that automatic-up kickstand and the below-frame brake pedal? How could any company do such things?

Add to that the need to take the bike in for code reading (my WR250R provides the codes so you don't need a reader) and I couldn't justify the bike, for what I do.

This may fill a niche for adventure riding, but will not replace the outdated XR or DR japanese bikes for a lot of people, IMO.

Tom
Haven't ridden a Terra yet but that was my guess. BUT on paper that engine looks like the right stuff meaning a WHOLE LOTTA mods could make it a decent adv machine. Or pop the engine into a (modded) XChallenge. Or, heck, just get, as you say, an "outdated XR or DR."
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #1152
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
What bugs me is that I'm starting to get old - I don't want to have to lift up a 400+ lb bike when I'm out alone and just had a get-off out in nowhere land (perhaps injured). Right now my ride is a WR250R, which has a good suspension (shock modified) good range (aftermarket tank) and weighs in at about 300 lbs wet. It is good on the road and the trail - full confidence in that bike handling-wise - but it's under 30 hp. I would love a 45 HP version to be able to pass on the hiway, roost up some hill, have a bit more fun, etc.
Why are you telling me this, you ask? Because even though the WR250R is fairly heavy, most of the weight is well thought out...heavier brake rotors than the off-road version, a heavy-duty sub-frame yet aluminum hubs and wheels that are shared with the off-road bikes, aluminum USD's that are virtually the same as the off-road bike, a hybrid aluminum-steel frame, aluminum swingarm, alum brake pedal, etc.
Now dammit, why didn't the Husky use some aluminum too? I bet this bike could have dropped 30 or more lbs using $50 worth of aluminum.
There is no good reason that this bike wouldn't have worked for a broader spectrum of riders with a little more design effort - for little additional cost.

I'm not bashing the bike, I'm just frustrated with the industry - but maybe riders like me aren't of sufficient quantity to matter.

edit: The thing is; the WR does work well-off road - yet is reliable, holds a lot of oil, has a fan, 15K mile valve adjustments etc... It CAN be done!

Get this: a 1996 KLX650 dual sport has an advertised dry weight of 319 +/- and a wet weight of 353 lbs. We are going backwards!!

kawagumby screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 12:32 PM Reason: more whining
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 AM   #1153
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
I think the Terra should at least match the KLR's travel.
Kawasaki 2013 KLR650 Front 7.9" Rear 7.3"
Husqvarna 2013 TR650 Front 7.5" Rear 7.5"

Does anyone know just how accurate these mfg. specs are?
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #1154
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Good points guys....I guess I was just hoping it would be more dirt oriented, being a husky and all. One thing I will say is I think its going to be a great bike for its purpose
Why not shop for aTE630 then?
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #1155
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
Quote:
, smother motor
dont know about that, 690 is one smooth motor especially mid/high rpm
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote