Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Definition of WTF.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #4532
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Has anyone experianced a loud wrenching sound when on start up? It does it occasionly while cranking over more so when cold,Im belive its coming from the starter? Any help appreciated
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #4533
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbowling View Post
Has anyone experianced a loud wrenching sound when on start up? It does it occasionly while cranking over more so when cold,Im belive its coming from the starter? Any help appreciated

What year bike? I know the 08(maybe all gen 2 models) have the so called deep hole problem.

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #4534
Kbowling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Its a 09,I gotta ask whats the deep hole problem
Kbowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #4535
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbowling View Post
Its a 09,I gotta ask whats the deep hole problem
Goggle KLR650 deep hole.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #4536
globalklr650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
KLR650 travel advice for mexico and south

Hi,
I am traveling around the world on a 2011 KLR650 with my girlfriend. I have just completed Canada, Alaska and the USA 16,000 miles.
In the next few weeks I will be entering Mexico down baja and then traveling down central America to Argentina.
I know the bike will be getting old as we travel so can I buy KLR650 parts in these countries? Can I get tires like the trailmaster and anakee2? What work would I do before I leave even though I am on a low budget? I was thinking my dohicky from eagle mike and maybe the subframe bolt because we are overloading the bike (200 to 300lb of max vehicle weight).
If I am unable to get parts I will have to ship them to a post office but I am worried about shipping times.
Any other travel advice would also be great.
My girlfriend and I are also Canadain and we were hoping to go to Cuba from Mexico by boat for a few months. This could be with our without the bike. Any advice?

Thanks
Alex

http://www.facebook.com/theperfectworld2012
globalklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #4537
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 3,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
What year bike? I know the 08(maybe all gen 2 models) have the so called deep hole problem.
All 2008 models and 2009 models with vin 20800 or below.
Check the last 5 numbers on your vin for the 2009.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #4538
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalklr650 View Post
Hi,
I am traveling around the world on a 2011 KLR650 with my girlfriend. I have just completed Canada, Alaska and the USA 16,000 miles.
In the next few weeks I will be entering Mexico down baja and then traveling down central America to Argentina.
I know the bike will be getting old as we travel so can I buy KLR650 parts in these countries? Can I get tires like the trailmaster and anakee2? What work would I do before I leave even though I am on a low budget? I was thinking my dohicky from eagle mike and maybe the subframe bolt because we are overloading the bike (200 to 300lb of max vehicle weight).
If I am unable to get parts I will have to ship them to a post office but I am worried about shipping times.
My girlfriend and I are also Canadain and we were hoping to go to Cuba from Mexico by boat for a few months. This could be with our without the bike. Any advice?

Thanks
Alex

Might want to post this in trip planning.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #4539
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
First I must say you are lucky. Secondly, your facebook link doesn't seem to be working. I have only had a KLR since Monday but some guys here should be able to give great advice.
Good luck!!!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #4540
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Alex
Check your valve clearance , make sure its good.

From what i hear, tires can be found. The 17" might be a bit more scarce, but there will be some.

Cuba: google Stahlratte boat. They just sailed from Panama to Columbia last trip across Darien til March, but they do go to Cuba and Isla de Mujeres in Mexico. Maybe you can catch the Mexico boat to Cuba,,,,check the sailing schedule on thier website.

this question belongs in trip planning(except the KLR maintenance eh?)
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #4541
serangelc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Alex
In Colombia, there should not be no problem about getting 'usual' spare parts within cities like Medellín or Bogotá... I live in Medellín, if you want to contact me before getting to Colombia. I will be glad to help, if you need.

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
serangelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #4542
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
How much can those little wires take? I think my max would be electric vest, GPS or phone, and heated grips??
The "City light" that those wires are intended for is 4 Watts, or 0.33 Amps. They're pretty small wires, but I don't know the gauge.

I used the city lights wires for only a relay. I ran two 10G wires (fused) to the front of my bike and branch it there to run the clock/volt/temperature display, the GPS, and my jacket. A smaller wire would do OK, but would give low voltage readings when the 90W jacket is on.

You don't tell the ratings for your grips or vest, so I'll guess 20W grips and 40W vest for 60W or 5A. That'd be fine IF that wire is 14G, but I doubt that it's that large. 16G would just pass. Looking at the outside of the insulation I'd expect it to be 1mm or about 18G. JUST GUESSING.

There are threads about ONLY the city lights wires, and you can use Goog or Bing to search
Code:
"city lights" site:www.advrider.com
to read many more guesses by other guessers.

EDIT: Even 18G will safely carry 5A for your devices. The problem with 18G wires going more than a few feet is that pushing 5A of 12V through that small wire causes the voltage to drop. When the voltage drops your resistance devices (vest and grips) pass less current and don't heat up as much. If it IS 18G it'll be safe for 16 Amps, but the voltage will be low.

Grinnin screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 05:51 PM
Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #4543
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
D606 vs Mefo stone master

Looking at putting on new tires on my 2011 KLR. I can get the Dunlop D606's and the Mefo stone masters for the same price, $90 something, special on the Mefo's. Which one should I get?

D606 Mefo

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #4544
GreatWhiteNorth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,792
"City Lights"

Personally I wouldn't run anything with a greater load than some LED auxiliary lighting. I'm using these same two extra connectors to power a relay for an aux halogen light (the actual power running the light taken off the positive terminal of the starter relay), and LED aux lights. I like to see & be seen.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #4545
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,132
I've figured the KLR can handle at least 2 amps of extra current..

Time to switch over to LED lights all over if you want to save on power consumption, open up a bit of breathing room for some aux components.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote