Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 155 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #3976
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I'm really impressed with your sculpting.

Even with an original right in front of me, I wouldn't know where to begin.
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #3977
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
I'm really impressed with your sculpting.

Even with an original right in front of me, I wouldn't know where to begin.

Thanks. I think I need to do more of this, as this was my entry into three-dimensional carving. All I had was that one museum picture to go off of, and while there are stark differences, I think the part near the blade, and the eagle's head, are just about as good as can be, given the reference. I didn't know I could carve like that before I did this one, and maybe it's beginner's luck.

We shall see.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #3978
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Thanks. I think I need to do more of this, as this was my entry into three-dimensional carving. All I had was that one museum picture to go off of, and while there are stark differences, I think the part near the blade, and the eagle's head, are just about as good as can be, given the reference. I didn't know I could carve like that before I did this one, and maybe it's beginner's luck.

We shall see.
Hurry!

Quit while you're ahead!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #3979
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Those always look upside down to me. As do all wharncliff blades.

OK, knife people... talk me out of making knives for people for christmas...
You are pretty good if you can whip one out that fast - took me several months to make a handful of Christmas knives - kitchen and belt.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #3980
lilsmokey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Home-made steel:
Trying to replicate this for a customer (original Roman Parazonium, British Museum I think):

howd you like to get stabbed with that scary son of a bitch!
I ride a bullet. A 2 wheeled, multiple-explosion powered machine with enough moving parts to remove entire fingers. Surfaces hot enough to cook flesh. It propels me at neck-breaking, bone-snapping flesh-tearing speeds, over and trough obstacle's I can only see as blurs. Its a sport that kills the careless, maims the best, and spits at the concept of mercy.

lilsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #3981
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsmokey View Post
howd you like to get stabbed with that scary son of a bitch!
I'd say a tetanus shot would be in order.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #3982
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,325
Local craft center has courses in black smithing and blade smithing.

The blade course is given over a weekend, and you end up with a somewhat primitive knife with a handle wrapped in paracord. I took a look at the facility and it's a forge, lots of anvils, and a couple of belt grinders.

Cost including joining the craft center, course itself, and materials is about $360.

I'm wondering if I'll learn enough in that amount of time to justify the cost. The class is limited to 6 students at a time.

Anybody have any experience with classes like this?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #3983
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Local craft center has courses in black smithing and blade smithing.

The blade course is given over a weekend, and you end up with a somewhat primitive knife with a handle wrapped in paracord. I took a look at the facility and it's a forge, lots of anvils, and a couple of belt grinders.

Cost including joining the craft center, course itself, and materials is about $360.

I'm wondering if I'll learn enough in that amount of time to justify the cost. The class is limited to 6 students at a time.

Anybody have any experience with classes like this?
Price of knowledge. You're not going to get a fancy expensive knife, you're going to learn the basics of bladecraft. It might feel like getting ripped off, but since there's no degree in bladesmithing, and few groups doing formal instruction, that's a pretty average/fair price for what you just described.

Can you teach yourself? Sure, but it takes an exponentially longer time for most folks, and you end up wasting a lot of material and fuel making mistakes that could be prevented by seeing an instructor do it right, right in front of you. That's how I kicked at the pricks for years, before attending my first hammer-in. Seeing the work, done by people who knew how, allowed me to take several quantum leaps in my skill. I'd practice on my own for a year, just using what I saw online (and today's youtube content is vastly superior to what was available 10-15 years ago), and then when I could work in person with masters of the craft, suddenly everything would change and my brain would hurt after 3 days of sponging everything I could.

Good luck!
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #3984
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,456
Dahamit, you're not helping. I guess I have to get off my lazy butt and make a Bark River clone for my best friend and a kitchen knife for my brother in law.

a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
You are pretty good if you can whip one out that fast - took me several months to make a handful of Christmas knives - kitchen and belt.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #3985
Bart Jones
BGY 504

Oddometer: 901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
This is my first attempt at designing my own daily carry.
Bart Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #3986
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Price of knowledge. You're not going to get a fancy expensive knife, you're going to learn the basics of bladecraft. It might feel like getting ripped off, but since there's no degree in bladesmithing, and few groups doing formal instruction, that's a pretty average/fair price for what you just described.

Can you teach yourself? Sure, but it takes an exponentially longer time for most folks, and you end up wasting a lot of material and fuel making mistakes that could be prevented by seeing an instructor do it right, right in front of you. That's how I kicked at the pricks for years, before attending my first hammer-in. Seeing the work, done by people who knew how, allowed me to take several quantum leaps in my skill. I'd practice on my own for a year, just using what I saw online (and today's youtube content is vastly superior to what was available 10-15 years ago), and then when I could work in person with masters of the craft, suddenly everything would change and my brain would hurt after 3 days of sponging everything I could.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice (and experience).

I think it's something I'd like to try, and if not now, when, so I have to do my customary thinking twice and three times before doing something, and come to a conclusion.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #3987
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Added these beauties to the collection last week:

Alan Elishwitz's Jeckyll has Chad Nichols African Savannah damascus and Lightning Strike carbon fibre:

This Gold Class Benchmade 42-101 is Rob Thomas Reptillian damascus with anodized titanium spacers:

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #3988
mhpr262
Summer is coming

Oddometer: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
I don't remember exactly (it's been sold) but around 7" LOA probably. I suspect it is a little too deep to make a good daily carry unless you're in the business of preparing game on a regular basis. The great thing about that design is it's really comfortable to choke up on and use your index finger on top of the blade. You get excellent control that way.

This is my first attempt at designing my own daily carry.
That knife has really beautiful classic lines.

With the cutting edge stopping so abruptly it will be impossible to sharpen the whole length of it on a flat whetstone, however. The dull part of the blade edge should recede a few milimeters after the edge, or there should be a concave section removed where the edge stops and the dull part begins.
mhpr262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #3989
Laconic
Hard Core

Oddometer: 15,968
Yes, that was the first and didn't come out just right. It was good learning experience, though.
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #3990
PS-RagE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
A family photo:

2007 Beta REV3 270
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
PS-RagE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: