Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Help an idjit: Amazon video - iPad

iPad newbie here and want to ask the collective before I potentially waste money.............

I have a trip coming up that has me on plane and bus and stuck in airports for almost three days. I thought I'd download a movie or two to watch on the iPad during the down times. Total newbie here so bare with me.

1. Movie isn't available on iTunes but is on Amazon. Will iTunes on my computer still let me load that movie onto my iPad?
2. I'm also using the iPad to file updates and pictures to my blog while on the road so I need to use the iPad for storage. Will it be possible to delete watched movies from the iPad (to free up storage for pictures) without hooking the iPad to a computer?

I think that's it, though, as I state, I'm an iPad newbie idjit so other questions may come up.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,723
As far as I know, Amazon will only let you stream their content (movies) to IOS or Android devices. This means you will need a good WiFi signal to enjoy your flick. These are not generally available on most flights.

iTunes will download the movie to your device using your available internal memory (i.e. 16gig, 32 gig) and let you play it even in "airplane mode" with WiFi and 3G/4G antenna's turned off.

As far as deleting said movie, go here: http://www.ipadtomactransfer.org/ipa...from-ipad.html
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
josjor OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Actually, I was going to buy the digital download, not stream it.

I wanted to buy the digital download and download it to my PC. Transfer it to my iPad via cable from the PC.

Do-able even though it's an Amazon download and not an iTunes download?
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,723
If it is downloaded, then yes, it will work. iTunes doesn't care where you got the video from.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
If it is downloaded, then yes, it will work. iTunes doesn't care where you got the video from.
I'm not sure it's that simple. Amazon certainly used to copy protect their video files and I suspect they still do, as does Apple. It's not impossible to defeat the copy protection, but it's not as simple as just downloading a file and dropping it into iTunes either.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Phat
Banned

Oddometer: 55
Torrents is your friend.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Actually, I was going to buy the digital download, not stream it.

I wanted to buy the digital download and download it to my PC. Transfer it to my iPad via cable from the PC.

Do-able even though it's an Amazon download and not an iTunes download?
Are you buying a digital download or renting it? Either one will have some sort of Digital Rights Management (DRM), which makes it difficult to copy. In addition, breaking the DRM is against the law in most cases - even if you own the movie.
It's not that hard to do, but it isn't trivial, unless you know your way around computers pretty well. Without breaking ADV rules about piracy, I'll just say that you'll need to do some research with Google.

And after thinking about it for a moment, I don't think you can buy video from Amazon (unless you buy a DVD). I think you can only rent it - which makes what you're doing possibly more difficult and definitely illegal.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandStrom View Post
And after thinking about it for a moment, I don't think you can buy video from Amazon (unless you buy a DVD). I think you can only rent it - which makes what you're doing possibly more difficult and definitely illegal.
Amazon does sell videos, not just rentals. I "own" several seasons of "House" and "The Office". I can stream them online anytime or download them to my PC. In checking it seems you can also download them to an iPad. You need to install the Amazon Instant Video app and then, according to Amazon:

Quote:
To download videos you have rented or purchased, simply go to a video in Your Video Library and click on the "Download" button, or in the case of TV episodes, click the down arrow to the left of the play button. Your video will begin downloading and you can navigate elsewhere without interrupting this process. Once your video is downloaded, you can return to Your Video Library and play the video, even if you do not have an internet connection.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Amazon does sell videos, not just rentals. I "own" several seasons of "House" and "The Office". I can stream them online anytime or download them to my PC. In checking it seems you can also download them to an iPad. You need to install the Amazon Instant Video app and then, according to Amazon:
Good to know. I have some long plane trips coming up.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: