ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #76
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropear View Post
South of Great Salt Plains Park, the sandy road I was following changed at an intersection to a sandier unmaintained farm road. No gate, but it didn't look like it would end well so I decided to route back to the south, go west on the highway, then head north and pick up the trail again.

The next lines west were the result of me riding on the highway in the cold for a long time and not paying attention to my route. I knew the route went west of the highway at some point, but didn't realize it did at Alabaster SP. I finally noticed it halfway down to Moorland and decided to just keep going. I was trying to make it to Elk City and the days are short.
So, it was not scouted but looking at it on the map I'm positive it's legit.
kiltedcrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #77
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,846
Question

I have to ask, maybe I missed it, did you go clockwise or counterclockwise?

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #78
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Ahh, SW Oklahoma. Home again.

At the NW part of the map, the trail crosses the North Fork of the Red. I rode to the crossing, got off the bike, checked it out, took a couple of pics, got back on the bike and rerouted to the blacktop and across the bridge, picking up the trail to the south after the bridge. The road to the crossing was a little sandy, and the road east of the crossing appeared OK, but that crossing......
I will post pics of it in my report.

To the east, the next difference in lines was due to the road on the mapped route having a Dead End sign. Rerouted to the south, then back east.

The final divergence was the second irrigation ditch west of Roosevelt. A little north the trail follows the ditch, and it was a somewhat maintained good track. The second was was very grown up with no obvious trail. I ditched it and headed straight east on the county road where I picked up the route again.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #79
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
I have to ask, maybe I missed it, did you go clockwise or counterclockwise?

Counterclockwise, but I don't think I mentioned it.

I'm working offline on my report while everything's still fresh. Hope to post it up soon.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #80
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
Counterclockwise, but I don't think I mentioned it.

I'm working offline on my report while everything's still fresh. Hope to post it up soon.
Thanks, I thought counterclockwise.

Writting the RR offline is wise, on occasion ADVrider will 'eat' a long post halfway through writing it and it's gone. Do it offline, copy and paste and it's easy to recover from that.

Can't wait. Thanks in advance for such a great report

Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #81
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee Bill View Post
Thanks, I thought counterclockwise.

Writting the RR offline is wise, on occasion ADVrider will 'eat' a long post halfway through writing it and it's gone. Do it offline, copy and paste and it's easy to recover from that.

Can't wait. Thanks in advance for such a great report

Any opinion on whether it's best to post one looong report or break it up into multiple posts?
There will be pics, but not many.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #82
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Direction of Travel

Kilted may mention this. I think it is relevant on direction of travel. Maybe this is just a preference deal growing up in Southwestern Oklahoma. But, it is always better to drive into a south wind than a north wind on a motorcycle in western oklahoma.
So, traveling North among-st the trees, elevation changes, and back and forths of eastern oklahoma seemed like a better idea than driving north from altus to freedom in a bone chilling north wind.
Again this may just be preference. It was discussed however between us. We both agreed that CounterClockwise was best for us.
Or as Charlie and Ewen would say Anti-Clockwise

cropear screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 03:20 PM
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #83
OKlr OP
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Kilted may mention this. I think it is relevant on direction of travel. Maybe this is just a preference deal growing up in Southwestern Oklahoma. But, it is always better to drive into a south wind than a north wind on a motorcycle in western oklahoma.
So, traveling North among-st the trees, elevation changes, and back and forths of eastern oklahoma seemed like a better idea than driving north from altus to freedom in a bone chilling north wind.
Again this may just be preference. It was discussed however between us. We both agreed that CounterClockwise was best for us.
Seems like good reasoning to me. I thought i knew what wind was until i moved to Clinton. So did you guys enjoy the ride, was it entertaining? Did you have any trouble on the couple of water crossings? Since you are from SW Oklahoma i would be interested to see any changes you think to the route in that area. The only thing cool i could find was that irrigation ditch. I'm really anxious to see the ride report. You should put a link here in this thead, and make the ride report over in "ride reports" and put a link in the report over there linking back to here. Maybe get some more people to see the thread that wouldn't normally go looking here.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #84
kiltedcrawford
Gnarly Adventurer

I'll get the ride report done and posted tomorrow, linking as you suggest.
I'll cover it in the report but you did a fantastic job, in my opinion, particularly as you mostly routed it looking at a comouter and county maps.
The riding down here is pretty straightforward and fast; it's the contrast between the flat farmland and ancient, rugged mountains that's interesting. You did as good a job as I could have done routing it.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #85
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedcrawford View Post
Any opinion on whether it's best to post one looong report or break it up into multiple posts?
There will be pics, but not many.

I think something between, a few pics with some writing between, then the next posting. I like seeing the maps you have already posted with some associated pics and text.

Just my opinion though.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #86
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
AGREED!!!

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #87
cropear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
The two Dakar's at the Kings Inn in Valiant. Great Hotel for the ride. As it has a great restaurant within 100 yards and a Quick stop across the Street.
[IMG][/IMG]
cropear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #88
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKlr View Post
If you can send me a link to the route i will check it out. If you have any ideas for the route please post up and we will get it figured out.
A great palce to visit is Natural Falls State Park just off of 412. This is where the Last Ride of the Year 2012 will begin. Then ride south on the gravel roads and cross the Illinois River. From there this route follows the river south to Tahlequah. Hope all that reads this can make it.

I will research Sequayah County and to the south and find a trail there.

For now, this is the route for TLROTY2012
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...h&z=10&vpsrc=6

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #89
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Lions and tigers and bears!!!!

Can't believe folks are already hitting the road... that rocks!!!! can't wait to read the ride report.
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #90
Dadayama
Constant Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Western Alt route???

Here is an alternate route to be considered... (not scouted), for the western portion. This takes you through the Black Kettle National Grassland, and by a the Washita Battle Field, then heads more directly towards Glass Mountains... from there it goes to the Salt Plains.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Between_Black_Kettle_and_Salt_Plains.gpx (294.9 KB, 50 views)
Dadayama is offline   Reply With Quote