mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #6543
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

Morimoto Mini DS2 HID Projector in one of these:

I have installed the one of those aftermarket projectors into my stock 950 Light housing.

My concerns with putting it into the 690 light housing would be:

1. The overall depth of the 690 housing. The retrofit projector units don't look too long but, they are longer than you would think. I have my adjuster turned all the way up on my 950 to get the light level correct and the projector housing is less than a mm away from the front plastic. (you could cut out the back of the reflector to allow more room and epoxy mount the projector.)
2. Vibration resistance. I'm not too comfortable with the aftermarket projector install procedure to take it out and beat the crap out of it on a nasty trail. It might be ok on the 950 but, I beat the crap out of my 690 and don't think it will withstand the abuse. (you could use some epoxy and permanently mount it to the housing to solve this though.)
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #6544
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Mouais

Blew the fuel pump on the GMC pickup yesterday. That's one change. I was so used to blow pumps on the 690 ...

That truck blew that pump at 450,000 km and 14 years later however ...

$250 for the pump. Injectors are $89. GMC makes injectors and pumps that would fit a 690 ???

Paul Jr
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #6545
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
Just for a minute, before scrolling down, you had me going then I remembered that Chrysler makes Jeep and they are now owned by Fiat so I knew the FI unit had to be made by Fueleo Inzionne Especialle Superleggera Bertone Magnetti-Marelli, of Turin.
Don't even think of PMing me for any future help request about your Rubi FI just because I live in Turin...

Tom, we will miss you!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #6546
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by uller View Post

enjoy your new adventure!!!!!
+1
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #6547
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Mouais

Blew the fuel pump on the GMC pickup yesterday. ..... I .... used to blow pumps on the 690 ...

Paul Jr

Paul...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUabDrfjATY

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #6548
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
690 VMC Sidecar

The 690 sidecar is nearly complete in the fab shop at Abbotts Farbrication,and all the works is nearly done.An new airbox was fabricated to hold the UniFilter and the battery,the exhaust header was routed to the silencer and a mesh guard fitted,the car size radiator was mounted along with the header tank,and a neat VMC rad protector was water-jet cut from 3mm aluminium sheet to finish the whole thing off.
Next on the list is to complete the wiring harness connections,and get ready for the MOT test to get it road-legal.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #6549
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Sidecars !!! Whoo Hooo.....let the fun begin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRatWJ1-bk

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #6550
ABuck99

Oddometer: 509
SG-

Nice write up & vid- and cool work space you have there - we'd like to check out some of those other bikes in the stable sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Quit the squabbles, if you guys are going to beat the keyboard, how about drumming up something for me trouble shoot on this ill 690.

It's illogical to me that injector cleaning will make the difference given how well the bike runs as long as it's not hot. But I did it anyway.

I am curious for opinions on fuel pressure. In the first vid you can see some gas hit the floor but I'm mostly able to contain it. My thumb's not been calibrated to 55 psi -> should this firehose on me or does it seem right that I can stop it?

And for you who've been thinking of an injector cleaning it is quick and easy even for FI noob like me. I do wish I had access to ultrasonic that some of you like but since I have acetone and compressed air on hand that's what I used.

I'll take it out for a spin this afternoon - see what happens but don't think I've done anything helpful, just fooling around.

Here is the pressure vid - seems good enough?

Injector is right under the air box - disconnect electrics then out with the phillips head (butter - careful.)

Once removed you need a power source to open it if you are going to blow compressed air through it. I used a 12v battery from a drill.

You can hear the injector activate when you close the circuit.

I put it in some acetone then blew compressed air out.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #6551
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,186
I spent the week earning parts money in Sioux Falls SD. Nice town, fun people, good eats and drinks. They go big for Xmas - light show is downtown, surrounding the falls. Back last night, just before today. Thank you for the lots of good ideas, haven't tried any of them yet. Not a fan of shopping but after yesterday's fn mess at Sandy Hook, walking around anywhere with my 12 year old sounded lucky.

Sioux Falls SD cell photo - it's beyond the lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
With all the talk about it, do you think the reg/rect is overheating? I haven't looked at it but if it's a part that's easily swapped you can borrow mine to see if it fixes the problem.
Could well be - it's a great lead. Have been reading alongat's thread from back in August with evening cocktail.

Digress - if you like such things, I highly recommend Herradura Reposado, fresh squeezed lime, Reed's ginger beer on rocks garnish with Jalapeño.

May indulge on your offer to lend a temp test swap r/r; going to be making slow progress for the next few weeks with travel and such. It appears an easy change, may be one of the parts I replace regardless as it seems known and prone.

btw - thanks for the book rec on John Boyd You ffs who like fighter pilots, unsung heroes, game changing strategic thinkers or brash ball busters might enjoy this too: "Why die all tensed up?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Is at 3/4 temp also where your fan kicks in? If so, check if unplugging the fan sensor has an effect.
Nice I can try that one eazy I swapped oem thermo for the 88c switch Quick to know if it's an issue, may be eating just enough amps to hook me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
After it stalls does it re-start? If not, do you hear the fuel pump prime sequence? If you don't hear it, I would suggest replacing the fuel pump. Your problem sounds similar to problems described in this FI thread. I replaced mine with the CA Cycleworks FP-HUS. Problem fixed. Many other 690 owners have reported good results with this pump and it is much cheaper than the OEM KTM pump.
I'm just going to order the CA pump right peace of mind plus r&r is such a gas. Thanks for the FI read - good stuff. I think I'm going to to rig up a pressure test on current pump. Bob or Crank wrote up some ideas a few pages back. Be interesting anyway. Maybe I'll get a geyser like the spilt filter show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dguevin View Post
Mine used to do that too!!.. It stopped doing it after a valve adjustment on my bike... I did also replace the fan swith for the suzuki ltz too over the same winter. What fixed it ?? I'd say the valves but with the new switch my fan kicks on around the 5th bar of heat out of 8 and rarely goes over 6 bars even if stopped for a while.
Not going to rule that out - haven't checked the valves. I did the fan switch swap too, kicks in quick. Spent an August week in Montreal and can assure you that generally it's warmer down here Cuz is a jazz drum major at McGill - will be skiing CA with him week after next. Fantastic town (and country) you have there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
SG-
Nice write up & vid- and cool work space you have there - we'd like to check out some of those other bikes in the stable sometime.
Thanks, I'm ok with words and pics it's fix that don't come ez Workspace has some sweat in it. City living gots its goods but land ain't one. Propped up under the party deck on my hill. Been meaning to take some pics and post in the bike shed thread.

Other bikes is good news ifn you're a 690 owner The only one in there that doesn't have a fix list is the Duc.

ABuck edit: just proofreading and noted you're an airhead. I'm posting sos there too - got some R80gspd improves in action. Spokes with drum is a toaser lwb '73 June build beauty.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 06:33 PM Reason: pics
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #6552
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Do any of you guys have the Euro rear fender part number, the one KTM Twins sells with the LED tail light? My dealer sent the wrong fender and I'm trying to get it worked out. THX
Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #6553
KC-10ENG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
I was just looking at this in the OC:

and was wondering if anyone has installed one of these:

Morimoto Mini DS2 HID Projector in one of these:

http://www.rallylights.com/Hella_90m...p_Modules.aspx
http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=568

You might be able to use one of these as well
KC-10ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #6554
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Do any of you guys have the Euro rear fender part number, the one KTM Twins sells with the LED tail light? My dealer sent the wrong fender and I'm trying to get it worked out. THX
From my archive, what I bought, fit without issues. No license plate light though, not that I care.

Part: 76508016000
Unit Price: $22.72
Requested Quantity: 1
Comment: NUMBER PLATE CARRIER TOP 08 for KTM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part: 76514040000
Unit Price: $61.65
Requested Quantity: 1
Comment: REAR LIGHT for KTM
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #6555
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Here you go (google it to be sure):

76508016000 - top black carrier
76514040000 - led tail light
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote