Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #46
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Thanks for that reply Toowheels. I agree with your point that a jacket like the Sand or Horizon will not be the best choice in very hot weather, so when I'm on a local trip in the summer I will typically bring only a mesh jacket. I found that slipping on the waterproof liner from the Sand jacket under the mesh jacket does fine for quick summer showers too.

The problem arises when on an extended trip when I only have room to take one jacket along. For example, I've made a few cross country trips where I've encountered 30 degree temperatures in the mountains and temperatures in the 90's crossing Nebraska, not to mention rain, fog and hail. The Sand jacket, along with a Gerbings liner, has done reasonably well under those circumstances. It's hotter than I want it to be on those hot days, but it's bearable. My biggest complaint about it is there isn't always a place, or time, where you can stop and put in the waterproof liner before it starts to rain. It can be tempting to just put the liner in if there is any possibility of rain, but on hot days with intermittent rain , where sometimes I want the liner and sometimes I don't, I would really like a better solution.

I'm hoping that the Horizon jacket might not be much worse than the Sand on dry hot days, when I can open the vents, but will allow a quicker transition from vented to waterproof on those days with intermittent rain. Also, I would like it if the jacket didn't become saturated in the rain. I can open the vents on the Sand even when the waterproof liner is in place, and do feel some air flow, but most of it gets blocked by the liner. The vents in the Horizon would seem to be better when opened, than open vents in the Sand when wearing a rain liner.

It is my fear, however, that the Horizon won't breathe as well as the Sand, as you have pointed out. The venting capability of the two jackets look similar though.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #47
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Yes I know exactly what you're saying and that's what I want too!!

From what I've read most call the Horizon good up to 80ish.

I think the big place the Horizon will fall short is that there are no sleeve vents. Yes you can open the cuffs a bit but with handguards I don't expect a lot of airflow out of it. I'd like to see mini versions of the chest vents on the sleeves. It's not in the line for summer 2013 though, there are no changes to the Horizon. I've heard that Gore wants to license Rev-It's Aquadefence system.

You should check out the Klim Latitude Misano maybe? Although it has no chest vents, you can't fold the collar back (!?) and there is no back pocket for my hydration reservoir so it's out for me. Then if you wear a small pack with one you block the rear vent...argh. Two vertical vents would flow more air and work with a pack if needed. I've heard a few reports of the sleeve vents leaking too.

Olympia's AST (I've read of those leaking at the sleeve too) and First Gear I'm not sure about. Neither of those fit me well since they are too boxy.

Then there's the Badlands. REALLY heavy though which supposedly you don't notice with the kidney belt done up. At least it ticks more boxes.
Rev-It Everest would be an option too.

Then it just goes up in $$ from there.

Am I missing any?

So I'm back to starting my own clothing line to go with my parts...

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 11:47 AM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #48
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
It does seem amazing that none of the dozens of manufacturers are getting it quite right. We want a waterproof jacket with real vents, not vents that are blocked by a waterproof membrane, but vents that open all the way through. And we want them on the arms, back and chest. The Horizon seems to have gotten closer than anybody so far, but there's still room for improvement.

One thing that puzzles me about the horizon is the zippers under the flaps of the main front pockets. My Sand jacket doesn't have them but the pockets are still waterproof. Why add zippers that add cost and make it more difficult to get into the pockets? Sometimes I think Revit throws away good ideas just to be different on the newer design. Anyway, I may still give the Horizon a try. It may be worth being hot sometimes on long trips, for the convenience of being waterproof without a liner.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #49
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocet View Post
It does seem amazing that none of the dozens of manufacturers are getting it quite right. We want a waterproof jacket with real vents, not vents that are blocked by a waterproof membrane, but vents that open all the way through. And we want them on the arms, back and chest. The Horizon seems to have gotten closer than anybody so far, but there's still room for improvement.

One thing that puzzles me about the horizon is the zippers under the flaps of the main front pockets. My Sand jacket doesn't have them but the pockets are still waterproof. Why add zippers that add cost and make it more difficult to get into the pockets? Sometimes I think Revit throws away good ideas just to be different on the newer design. Anyway, I may still give the Horizon a try. It may be worth being hot sometimes on long trips, for the convenience of being waterproof without a liner.
Only the left pocket has a zip and velcro. The right one is like the Sand and velcro only.
My Sand pockets are not waterproof. It's odd that they went through the trouble to seam seal the pocket liners on the Sand when the fabric is not waterproof in sustained rain.

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #50
KonnMan04
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I'm new to this site and new when it comes time to picking out winter gear. I'm looking for a jacket that will keep me warm in temps that go down to mid / high 20's. I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. My morning commute is 30 min at most and I leave for work around 6am. I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I use during late spring to early fall, when temps start to hit mid 40's is when I need to put on layer and start to get ready for my bike to go to sleep. I already wear a long sleeve collar shirt (work requirement) and adding a thick sweater makes it very hard to zip my jacket up. I also use a neck flees since my collar is short cut. So I'm looking at Teknic, Rev'It and Olympia as my winter only gear. My most important need is to wear as little added clothing as possible over my shirt and my neck doesn't get called. I want to avoid wearing a neck warmer. Being waterproof is a plus.

To sum up: My #1 thing is being warm during my morning (30 min) commute, #2 staying dry, #3 - good protection. Anything above 50's doesn't concern me as I will be using my Joe Rocket gear.

From everyones experience, can I get what I need from these brands Teknic; Rev'It or Olympia? How high do collars go? Will they stop wind from entering or do I still need to wear my fleece neck warmer? Are there any other issues I should be aware before I buy?

I get hot easy and I can bare cool temp well, but have a limit.

My choices are:
Teknic - Freeway (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Horizon (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Energy (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Legecy (Hi-Viz)
Olympia - AST2 (Hi-Viz)
BMG - Discovery

Hi-Viz is for being viziable and safe but will consider other colors.

I will be heading over to RevZilla store in PA to exchange my Olympia X-Moto this Saturday.

Also any pance recomindation is appriciated as well. Keep in mind that this gear is WINTER USE ONLY!!!

Thank you for everyonce help.
KonnMan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #51
toowheels
on a mission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonnMan04 View Post
I'm new to this site and new when it comes time to picking out winter gear. I'm looking for a jacket that will keep me warm in temps that go down to mid / high 20's. I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. My morning commute is 30 min at most and I leave for work around 6am. I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I use during late spring to early fall, when temps start to hit mid 40's is when I need to put on layer and start to get ready for my bike to go to sleep. I already wear a long sleeve collar shirt (work requirement) and adding a thick sweater makes it very hard to zip my jacket up. I also use a neck flees since my collar is short cut. So I'm looking at Teknic, Rev'It and Olympia as my winter only gear. My most important need is to wear as little added clothing as possible over my shirt and my neck doesn't get called. I want to avoid wearing a neck warmer. Being waterproof is a plus.

To sum up: My #1 thing is being warm during my morning (30 min) commute, #2 staying dry, #3 - good protection. Anything above 50's doesn't concern me as I will be using my Joe Rocket gear.

From everyones experience, can I get what I need from these brands Teknic; Rev'It or Olympia? How high do collars go? Will they stop wind from entering or do I still need to wear my fleece neck warmer? Are there any other issues I should be aware before I buy?

I get hot easy and I can bare cool temp well, but have a limit.

My choices are:
Teknic - Freeway (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Horizon (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Energy (Hi-Viz)
Rev'It - Legecy (Hi-Viz)
Olympia - AST2 (Hi-Viz)
BMG - Discovery

Hi-Viz is for being viziable and safe but will consider other colors.

I will be heading over to RevZilla store in PA to exchange my Olympia X-Moto this Saturday.

Also any pance recomindation is appriciated as well. Keep in mind that this gear is WINTER USE ONLY!!!

Thank you for everyonce help.
I can only speak about the Horizon and I think temperature wise it should work for you. I have been down to 0* Celsius and it's worked well.
As far as the collar is concerned I still use a neck warmer with it. I really like Rev'It's collars but it's not quite as tall as the Sand so I find I need it. Judging by the pics I think only the Discovery, Freeway and possibly the AST2 have better neck coverage.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #52
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,053
Any updates on this suit? How's it holding up now that we're knee deep in summer?

It seems to be going on closeout in several places....
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #53
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Horizon update

So now that Rev-it has discontinued the Horizon there are some out there for as low as 290 dollars US. I have read all the pros and cons of this coat and wanted one 2 years ago when they were twice as much money. I still want a water-proof outer jacket that is good for long( multi day, multi state) touring rides that can handle the rain and cold but be tolerable on a 85 degree day. Is this the jacket? I want to like the new Klim Misano Latitude but the venting seems minimal and that neck still looks like an afterthought on a 600 dollar technical jacket. Am I missing something. I have the Rev-it Cayenne Pro gear and I really like it and it has served me well. I have not used it in a day long deluge but I will say that with the liners zipped in I have been warm and dry even in a freak snow squall at the Grand Canyon this year. I just don't want to fiddle with the liner every time the weather changes..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #54
DJSponge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Still have my set. Works great in all conditions. I might be selling the bike in the spring though, in which case I'll be selling off a LOT of gear.
DJSponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #55
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Thanks.. sorry to hear your getting out of riding. Hope it's not due to an accident..
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote