Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #1486
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,486
>"Tried installing a 43T rear tonight... no luck. Those hex bolts on the sprocket are pieces of shit, the depth is so tiny its easy for the bit to mangle the threads."

Wonder if they have high-strength thread locker on them. If so, you need to heat before removing them. (dunno)
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #1487
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I sold my KLX250s for the CRF250L - the main reason was....drum roll.....fuel injection! I push the button it starts! changes in altitude? it adjusts! cold morning? It starts! Hot day? it starts! tip overs and trail drops? you got it, it starts and now that I installed the FI controller its even better!
Stock pipe or aftermarket?

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #1488
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"Tried installing a 43T rear tonight... no luck. Those hex bolts on the sprocket are pieces of shit, the depth is so tiny its easy for the bit to mangle the threads."

Wonder if they have high-strength thread locker on them. If so, you need to heat before removing them. (dunno)
I seem to recall Rick Ramsey having this issue....he drilled them out....but I think he said in hindsight, loosen it from the nut side first...that's what I did on my XR's ages ago.....visit his website rickramsey dot net
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #1489
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post

No threadlocker just REAL TIGHT .

I found it more effective as a two person job. One holding the allen side tight. And the other person gradually and smoothly removing the nut.

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #1490
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1 View Post
No threadlocker just REAL TIGHT .

I found it more effective as a two person job. One holding the allen side tight. And the other person gradually and smoothly removing the nut.

Dave
Speaking of that. Would you be interested in helping me swap mine out sometime.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #1491
Rider1
Ridin' Dave

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Speaking of that. Would you be interested in helping me swap mine out sometime.
Of course. You've got my number.

Dave
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #1492
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Yea, I eventually realized I had a 1/4" impact and a 6mm bit for it, it worked wonders on the other 4 bolts and did not strip the head. If I would have done it with nothing but an impact and a 17mm wrench on the back I probably wouldn't of had any issues. Oh well... you live and you learn.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #1493
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Stock pipe or aftermarket?

Stock pipe right now

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #1494
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Stock pipe right now
Lets clarify this, your saying you got noticeable gains just by installing the FI Programmer? Or are you talking about no off idle closed throttle lean stalling?, easier starting? - drive-ability.

I suspect the aftermarket pipe makes a difference, but not as much as most guys think. It's nearly all FI Programmer and gearing when their posting up some of the 'big gains' in the $1000 performance kit. I'm just seeing if my suspicions are being confirmed by your statement. If so, I''m in for the FI Programmer and not the pipe.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #1495
hrcs90
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Aftermarket parts and OEM warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
good to know, Thanks....As I mentioned a few pages back, I do plan on getting the performance kit in the future for all the good reasons ppl here seem to be having with them. However, I'd like to get the stalling issue solved while the bike is still under the manufacturer's warranty in case the fuel controller doesn't solve the problem. I guess my main question is: Does adding the fuel controllers/ exhausts, e.t.c void the manufacturer's warranty? First new vehicle I owned that actually has warranty. This is a great thread on the 250L, great seeing ppl's ideas,mod's, reviews...etc,
Honda dealers or any OEM dealer for that matter can not void your warranty because of a aftermarket part. There is a thing called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55325884,d.cGE

What I have found is that it really relies on the attitude and energy that the dealer wants to put forth in processing the warranty claim. If the dealer is not into modifying they will usually almost always throw there hands up when they see aftermarket parts and cry void.
hrcs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #1496
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcs90 View Post
Honda dealers or any OEM dealer for that matter can not void your warranty because of a aftermarket part. There is a thing called the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55325884,d.cGE

What I have found is that it really relies on the attitude and energy that the dealer wants to put forth in processing the warranty claim. If the dealer is not into modifying they will usually almost always throw there hands up when they see aftermarket parts and cry void.

Yes they can void your because you replaced your muffler or reprogramed the ECU. The muffler has a small catalytic converter in it which is illegal to remove or modify. Both modifications involve illegal tampering with the emission system. This will legally void the engine portion of your warranty.

They are working on a law in Wisconsin that allows any officer to inspect the exhaust on 2013 and newer motorcycles to verify the emissions system hasn't been tampered with.

Other states are working on new laws also.

The states are required to report emission tampering and violations to the EPA.

I'm suprised dealer will replace the muffler. The penaltys are huge. Any catalytic converter(muffler in this case) that is replaced within 12 months must be reported to the EPA by law.

If the dealer replaced the muffler you can still be held responsible. Even the technician that replaced the muffler is held responsible.

Just sayin...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #1497
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Yes they can void your because you replaced your muffler or reprogramed the ECU. The muffler has a small catalytic converter in it which is illegal to remove or modify. Both modifications involve illegal tampering with the emission system. This will legally void the engine portion of your warranty.

They are working on a law in Wisconsin that allows any officer to inspect the exhaust on 2013 and newer motorcycles to verify the emissions system hasn't been tampered with.

Other states are working on new laws also.

The states are required to report emission tampering and violations to the EPA.

I'm suprised dealer will replace the muffler. The penaltys are huge. Any catalytic converter(muffler in this case) that is replaced within 12 months must be reported to the EPA by law.

If the dealer replaced the muffler you can still be held responsible. Even the technician that replaced the muffler is held responsible.

Just sayin...

But..............heres the kicker........arent both of these parts bolt on anyways??? ; D my dealer told me that if it came down to it and the Honda rep wanted to look at it either put my stock parts back on or they would take parts off of a new unit for the time being now thats dealer for the people.... Ron Ayers Motorsports
Old 12-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #1498
longslowdistance
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Sorry if this is in this 100 page thread already . . .

. . . but I didn't find it yet.

Should I buy this bike?

I've been riding motorcycles less than 3 years but thanks to lots of mountain bike experience I can read a trail surface pretty well. I have a BMW R1200 GS that gets lots of Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountain gravel road and buff double track miles with street tires, but it's pretty heavy and I've stayed away from slimy double tracks and most stream crossings. But I want to ride on slimy double tracks and stream crossings. Not an aggressive rider, and I have short legs - the GS can be a challenge with a 33 inch seat height. And I want a reliable bike that I can just ride, not work on.

Does the CRF250L fit the bill? Any alternatives? (I'm keeping the GS, of course) Thanks.
longslowdistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #1499
Tommyrg
Adventurer

sumoooo

Sorry for the back to back post but on a different note does anyone have a set of 17" hoops laying around? And how hard would it be to get the hubs powder coated? Any guys who have thought about where im going with this lets here some feed back, : parts used, COST, what 320mm rotor will bolt on and anyyy ideas
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #1500
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
But..............heres the kicker........arent both of these parts bolt on anyways??? ; D my dealer told me that if it came down to it and the Honda rep wanted to look at it either put my stock parts back on or they would take parts off of a new unit for the time being now thats dealer for the people.... Ron Ayers Motorsports

You still have dirty hands according to the legal system. This means you lose...

Federal law and EPA made it illegal to remove or tamper with any part of the emission system. Most states have laws making it illegal also.

This you would be still guilty of, leaving you with dirty hands.

Just because you conform to one law means nothing.

So yes Honda can void your warranty for doing either modification because they are illegal. On top of that the dealer, the technician and the end user are in violation of state and federal law and can face large fines and imprisonment.

That is, only if they get caught...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote