User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 589 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #27796
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Just a couple of photos of my new build. An AR pistol in 300 Blackout. Should be FUN!

300-BLK-Pistol-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

300-BLK-Pistol-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #27797
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post
Just a couple of photos of my new build. An AR pistol in 300 Blackout. Should be FUN!

300-BLK-Pistol-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

300-BLK-Pistol-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr
no my cup of tea, but you have some GORGEOUS pictures in your Flick!
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #27798
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Who knew that getting dark early could have an up side? Trying out some .38 spl tracer rounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1PpuzNJGjo
You have to be careful with tracers but they are informative. Went to a private shoot out in the desert once, lots of different firearms, including several in .50 BMG. Started some fires about a half mile away with tracer and API. The hill we were shooting into had a number of rocks on it and it was interesting to see the path of the projectile - especially the .50BMG - when the projectile hit a rock. No small number of times did it go straight up quite a distance - as in hundreds of feet to a thousand feet or more - also off to the side.

As in your vid there were a number of shots that appeared to go off in directions after they hit something. This is why a person needs to be very careful about where they shoot - tracer or not - ricochets go off in wild directions and for quite a distance.

Also, make sure you clean your firearm well after shooting tracer or API or especially any flare round. Many of these can be corrosive in one way or another.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #27799
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
no my cup of tea, but you have some GORGEOUS pictures in your Flick!
Yeah, not everyone likes black rifles

Thanks for the compliments on the photos, it is my main hobby (at least the one I spend most time/money on).

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Old 12-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #27800
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Well I just got back from the range. The 300 Blackout pistol shot excellently. Standing, unsupported shooting at 20 yds produced cloverleafs in the center of the bulls eye.

The 300 BLK is MUCH nicer shooting out of a short barrel compared to 556. There was really no concussion or muzzle flash, where the 556 slapped you in the face and the fire ball could blind you out of the 7.5" barrel.

It was noticeably quieter than the 556 as well, and this is with full power loads (20gr. H110 with a 110 gr VMax bullet). I'm going to buy some military 147 grain 30 cal pulled bullets for some cheap plinking fun!

BTW, here is one of my other range toys, and my carry piece, an ATI FX 45 Military. It has been an outstanding pistol and has ran without a hiccup. A real tack driver if I do my part. Of course, I can't leave anything alone/stock, so I changed a few things.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650

Colorado CJ screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 06:02 PM
Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #27801
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Also, make sure you clean your firearm well after shooting tracer or API or especially any flare round. Many of these can be corrosive in one way or another.
Oh yeah. The gun was thoroughly cleaned and reoiled. It came out black for several patches. Also well aware of the flammable nature of the rounds, but be sure the fields behind me are freshly plowed with little dead vegetation to catch on fire.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #27802
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,360
DHS Expert

My buddy has been bothering me for months to attend an Advanced Pistol course, so this weekend our schedules finally freed up and we were able to attend. Our instructor was an ex-Green Beret and currently a government weapons trainer. I hadn't been to the range since September and only a a time or two all year long, and have never practiced drawing from a concealed holster and shooting from behind barricades. But he ran us through a bunch of drills and then put us through the ICE qualification course at the end of the course as our final test, and I ended up scoring 235 out of 250 possible points, which was 5 points over the minimum required to qual for "Expert", 210 was the min qual score.

The sweet part is I didn't use a fancy gun, just my CZ75 and some shitty Wolf Ammo!

BTW in 4 years and many rounds I've never had any fail to feed, fail to eject, double feeds, fail to fires or any other malfunctions with the CZ. I have seen Glocks double feed from limp wristing. There's only 2 reasons I wouldn't CCW, 1: It's too big and heavy 2: external safety

Dukeryder screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 07:08 PM
Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #27803
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado CJ View Post

BTW, here is one of my other range toys, and my carry piece, an ATI FX 45 Military. It has been an outstanding pistol and has ran without a hiccup. A real tack driver if I do my part. Of course, I can't leave anything alone/stock, so I changed a few things.
Picked up an ATI commander length last year and bobbed it as well as changed out the hammer, trigger, sights, thumb safety and then parkerized everything. The factory trigger was serviceable but I wanted a little better. Very pleased with the gun for the money, chose it due to the cost...in case I screwed the bob-job. I'll be doing another bobbed commander but it's a gift for my son next year, so I'll probably buy Caspian slide and frame since I can get them without markings and then engrave it.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #27804
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post

nice target. looks like the feds borrowed it from the locals:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/17/ny...ewanted=1&_r=0

(history of the nypd "thug" target).
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #27805
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I never said she was giving me grief over wanting to buy another gun, she was just pointing out that the gun I wanted was already in the safe. If I had been saying I wanted to buy a second 500, she would have been fine with that. I certainly catch more grief for selling them than buying them from her. When I told her my predicament over trying to list the STI's, she asked why I would do such a stupid thing anyway. So, they are back in the safe.
See, that's the diff - my ex never gave me anything but grief - she still does even though I avoid her like the plague.

But yes, it would be nice to have a spouse who would point out that you are about to make a duplicate firearm purchase that you probably didn't intend to.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #27806
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 941
I guess I'm lucky, my wife has no problem with guns. She has an LCP, G26 and a P2000 in 9mm.

So I just bought a G22(40mm). I'm not a big Glock guy but I thought it might make a good hd/truck/camping beat around gun. On it's first outing she wanted to shoot it. I said that you're not going to care for it. She's a petite gal with small hands and can hardly open lids on jars when they're tight. Well after she ran 2 boxes thru it I had to start hinting that I'd like to shoot it too. She loved it. Go figure! She wasn't that accurate but I wouldn't want to be standing in front of her.

Fast forward. We're at a gun show last weekend and she picks up a Springfield 1911 45. Her first reaction is...Oooo that feels good. Hmm, I guess I better start re-reading the "1911 under $1000" thread again.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #27807
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow View Post
I guess I'm lucky, my wife has no problem with guns. She has an LCP, G26 and a P2000 in 9mm.
Guns, motorcycles, cars, food, rent - it doesn't matter how I spent (or spend) the money I earned, she would give me grief about that and most any other thing in our lives (relatives, you name it). If it wasn't money (or attention) spent on her then it was misspent money.

'nuff said

back to guns
Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #27808
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,209
Sometimes USPS tracking is not good....

Just because things seem to move so slow...I'm not sure if this package will overfly to the other side for final sorting then come back or not - hopefully tomorrow, but if not, for sure Tuesday...but darnit...don't know why I'm so eager, I've waited 20 years or more.

think I'm going to wrap it under the tree so my pacifist Niece will get to see it, and her English boyfriend...should be good for grins, particuarly with a few wrapped boxes of cartridges also under the tree. From Santa, of course!

Of course, now that it's near arriving, it's started to snow, so I may spend more time skiing than shooting - oh well. Life is good either way.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #27809
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
..on the way...
You're going to love your new CZ 75B! You should get one of these for it: http://www.ubgholsters.com/owb.htm
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #27810
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,516
Ok fuckers. Today was a breakthrough day. Three guns got shot for the first time in ten years, and my boy shot his first gun bigger than a .22.
He loved the Ar-15, and was just as good of a shot with it as I expected he would be since he's been using a 15-22 all year. And he surprised even me when he decide to at least give the M1 Garand a go. One shot was enough.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: