ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 200 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #6241
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Blooming heck. What is it about me and Montana's?

I just arrived in Vang Vieng by bus from Vientiane for some R&R while waiting for bike parts to repair a busted Vstrom

I figured I would attempt the only Geocache in this area, which is a T5 and D5. I turn on my GPS and I don't have any Geocaches on there? WTF

I just found some two days ago up north and nothing has changed?

I changed profiles to Geocache, please visit Garmin to download some caches, if I select Where To, there is no Geocache option in the sub menus?

This gadget is seriously flawed

BUT, I am prepared to take the blame IF I can sort things out. If I turn it off one day and turn it on two days later I seriously expect no frigging change!!!

So, what should I do gurus?

I feel that what I need is an absolute clean GPS with nothing on it but the basemap. Then I probably should totally nuke the whole Basecamp, all my My Collection data and start from absolute scratch and then install the map I need(Laos for the moment) then start adding things like caches and waypoints etc as I go.

Please help

What steps do I need to take to get back to virgin Montana, straight out if the box without actually losing all of my last 7 months tracks pois and any other data I have collected

Both times my Montana has been returned to England I have got it back with the info it went away with. IF there is some corrupted data anywhere in the system, it has been copied across to the new unit.

I am prepared to do another master reset, the 5th one in the past three weeks and I have only had this thing back a month, but there is seriously something screwy with either my data or my unit and surely I cannot be so unlucky to get three useless units in a row?

I don't want to brick the unit so please be gentle ;)

I will have some time over the next week, I think, so if somebody could give me detailed instructions I would appreciate it, and if it worked then i might ride past and buy you a beer or two if I am in the neighborhood :)
Old 12-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #6242
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Oddometer: 687
TS, I assume your caches were loaded via PQ's?

It is still quite common for the Montana to have trouble indexing random geocaches, and when the issue occurs, the Montana simply ignores the entire GPX file. This bug is as old as the Montana itself, and Garmin has yet to cure it.

This is why I keep all my GPX and other data on the uSD card. When this occurs,, I only need to remove the uSD card, reboot the Montana to refresh/clear the memory, reinsert he uSD card and reboot again. This procedure is almost always successful.

Restoring Montana:

If you do not have a back up copy of the Montana as you received it, you can enter recreational profile, connect to computer, back up your GPX and POI (etc) directories as well as your maps, delete all files/folders from the unit, remove uSD card, reboot, copy saved data back to Montana and uSD card. Original profiles with original wallpaper are available from the Montana wiki, which need to be copied back to the Garmin\Profiles directory, and rebooted again.

Your maps and personal data will be present, but all else will be as new. I am unsure you need to do all this. Probably just keeping your data on the uSD card and knowing you will, from time to time, have to remove the uSD card and reboot the Montana empty to clear it out, then again with the uSD card installed, as outlined above.

Hopefully Garmin will address some of the Montana shortcomings in a future firmware release.
atlas cached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #6243
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingStrom View Post
Blooming heck. What is it about me and Montana's?

. . .

Both times my Montana has been returned to England I have got it back with the info it went away with. IF there is some corrupted data anywhere in the system, it has been copied across to the new unit.

. . . .
TS, How many new/different Serial Numbered Montana's have you received? Or, did you get back the same unit (S/N) that you sent in for repair?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #6244
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Traveling Strom, before doing anything drastic, have you run the file checker found under Extras in JaVaWa to see if it finds any corrupted or otherwise flawed gpx files?

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #6245
TravellingStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Traveling Strom, before doing anything drastic, have you run the file checker found under Extras in JaVaWa to see if it finds any corrupted or otherwise flawed gpx files?

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk

Hi

@Emmbeedee Yes, I checked and there is nothing wrong.

@DRTBYK I have had 3 different serial numbers, but mqaybe I am just assuming all the data was the same the 3rd time, I know the 2nd unit had it because he told me he saved my data, and it seemed to me the data was there when I plugged it into BC, but that may have been the cause

@atlas cached I don't have an SD card in at this time, all caches wee installed using PQ's, except for the ones I actually seeded, they are just waypoints. I will think about doing the other stuff you mentioned.

One other thing, last time I asked for help in creating shortcuts, to Automotive Mode and Track Up. I then had issues with this not working, then working, well this issue is still there. One time I turn it on and this feature works, the next time it doesn't, it is really pissing me off.

Lucky my bike is broke so I can't get too frustrated eh!!!

Cheers
TS
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #6246
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
wonder if Basecamp will ever be offered for ipad or android tablets?

sure would be handy to support Montana from a tiny tablet during a trip.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #6247
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,963
I have a Nexus 10 tablet and I'm getting the items together that will allow me to move files around. I have an OTG cable plus SDHC chip in a mini reader and will soon select one of several apps that allow me to move data between the GPSr and external storage. I'm not quite there; have to learn about Rooting first and then expect everything to drop into place.

I will only be able to move files around with the above items, not create routes etc. Later I hope to use the Dual Sport Maps app to create and manage routes that I can transfer to the GPSr. Others have already used DSM to navigate using an android device, so that will be in my future, as well.

Just gotta find the time to learn all this...
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #6248
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
I have a Nexus 10 tablet and I'm getting the items together that will allow me to move files around. I have an OTG cable plus SDHC chip in a mini reader and will soon select one of several apps that allow me to move data between the GPSr and external storage. I'm not quite there; have to learn about Rooting first and then expect everything to drop into place.

I will only be able to move files around with the above items, not create routes etc. Later I hope to use the Dual Sport Maps app to create and manage routes that I can transfer to the GPSr. Others have already used DSM to navigate using an android device, so that will be in my future, as well.

Just gotta find the time to learn all this...
Will eagerly await your updates!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #6249
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
More Strange Behavior

My 600 did something really strange a few days ago in the car on the way back from Boise, following a route on CNNA.

I happened to look down at it after it had been performing normally for several hours, and it had gone dark with only the Garmin logo showing. I removed it from the cradle and held the on/off button down for at least 2 minutes.....nothing. Poked the screen a few times.....nothing.

I put it back in the cradle and ignored it for another 15 minutes or so, when it suddenly came back on, not a reboot, but following the road in my actual postion on the map as if nothing had happened at all!

WTF?

I've had it shut off completely several times, always remedied by a remount in the cradle, which I assume is a battery contact interruption (it could use fresh ear plugs), but this is something totally different. Any ideas?
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #6250
atlas cached
OX Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
My 600 did something really strange a few days ago in the car on the way back from Boise, following a route on CNNA.

I happened to look down at it after it had been performing normally for several hours, and it had gone dark with only the Garmin logo showing. I removed it from the cradle and held the on/off button down for at least 2 minutes.....nothing. Poked the screen a few times.....nothing.

I put it back in the cradle and ignored it for another 15 minutes or so, when it suddenly came back on, not a reboot, but following the road in my actual postion on the map as if nothing had happened at all!

WTF?

I've had it shut off completely several times, always remedied by a remount in the cradle, which I assume is a battery contact interruption (it could use fresh ear plugs), but this is something totally different. Any ideas?
You are running v4.60, correct?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #6251
Rocky TFS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas cached View Post
You are running v4.60, correct?
Oh yeah, sorry, V4.60 it is. I never had any of the other nasty issues posted here over the last year. It's been very reliable....until now.

Maybe I just went through a wormhole without noticing.
Rocky TFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 AM   #6252
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,406
I went to install City Navigator CNNANT 2013 onto my PC last night and it said I needed something like 30GB or so of room. Well this PC is old and doesn't have near that much. I could probably scrape up 10GB. Any other options?

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #6253
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post
I went to install City Navigator CNNANT 2013 onto my PC last night and it said I needed something like 30GB or so of room. Well this PC is old and doesn't have near that much. I could probably scrape up 10GB. Any other options?
You could add an external hard drive, maybe? I say maybe because I have not tried installing maps to an external drive so am not 100% sure that it can be done. I see 1TB units in the hundred dollar range. Example: http://www.staples.com/Western-Digit...product_901973
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #6254
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,108
Quote:
Are you sure it said you needed 30GB? The install file and the installed map combined are less than 6GB.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #6255
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
That's odd - I just checked on my installation (a Mac, but sizes should be similar) and City Navigator 2013.30 takes up less than 3 gigabytes. Likely you'd need double that initially for installation, but 30 gig is a bit more than necessary. But you may want to offload some of your drive's contents anyway to backup devices. A full hard drive never works well.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote