Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #11536
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Thanks, I do like this better than my way!

Here's the ride from Durango to Mazatlan. Great road, but a bit more traffic than Mex 16. You have to allow for trucks coming the other way and cutting corners. It might not look like it in the vid (my view is a bit different to the camera's) but I'm taking pretty conservative lines when I can't see what's coming the other way i.e. peel in a bit early, and don't run it wide coming out until you can see there's nobody in your lane...

Love that road. Looks like you we're loving it, too.

Have they finished resurfacing it? Last few times there were sections of grava suelta.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #11537
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Exactly where on the bike is that mounted? Crash bar?

Also, I was trying to picture in my mind what mounting on the other side of the bike would give in terms of passing the trucks.

Trice,

here's the camera mount... BTW that crack is a new addition, you like The camera got a bit of a nick in the fall, but seems ok. It's mounted on the crossover bar between the crashbars so it's about 2" in from the crashbar itself, and tight to the bodywork.

Yeah I might try switching sides at some point and see what it looks like.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #11538
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Love that road. Looks like you we're loving it, too.

Have they finished resurfacing it? Last few times there were sections of grava suelta.
There are just a few of short sections of rough tarmac, but 99% of it is very good.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #11539
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

That's a favourite Australian saying...

Quote:
What could possibly go wrong

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #11540
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
That's a favourite Australian saying...
He could make a fool of himself with gators, but all it took to kill him was a vengeful stingray.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #11541
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Crikey!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #11542
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Schizz's next post is, "Let me rephrase that sentence".

I was reading the thread backwards (most recent post first) and saw his post come up out of context and was thinking the same thing. I have some Facebook friends that are cross dressers and do the evening show at a club called 801 Bourbon on Duval Street in Key West and my first reaction was that somehow they were over here on ADVRider keeping you characters entertained.

Nothing whatsoever against folks of an alternative lifestyle but not exactly my idea of a retirement plan
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #11543
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Agreed. But what a way to go. I'll take death by amazon over death by narco any day! :)

Heart attack while in the act en Mexico. Works for me! Clearly the kind of legacy that my family is expecting from me.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #11544
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I was reading the thread backwards (most recent post first) and saw his post come up out of context and was thinking the same thing. I have some Facebook friends that are cross dressers and do the evening show at a club called 801 Bourbon on Duval Street in Key West and my first reaction was that somehow they were over here on ADVRider keeping you characters entertained.

Nothing whatsoever against folks of an alternative lifestyle but not exactly my idea of a retirement plan
PJ,
I have seen your friends on Duval at the Bourbon. They do a pretty good job cross dressing. I haven't seen their act though. That just seemed like a waste of my time. Not my kind of bar.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #11545
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
PJ,
I have seen your friends on Duval at the Bourbon. They do a pretty good job cross dressing. I haven't seen their act though. That just seemed like a waste of my time. Not my kind of bar.

I have never seen the show at 801 Bourbon but I remember taking some photos outside one afternoon and night. To this day I have to wonder if the young man that was walking down the street and who posed with the ladies realized they were both cross dressers:

It pays to keep an open mind. We have at least two transgendered inmates here on ADVRider who are both my friends on Facebook, and I have probably accidentally walked into gay or transgendered bars about 4-5 times in my life and at least two of those times were in Mexico.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #11546
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

I have absolutely no problem with the folks at 801 Bourbon. I just prefer drinking at Vino on Duval or at Joes Tap Room or if I want lousy service I go to the Green Parrot.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #11547
kobukan
almost gnarly

Oddometer: 1,698
I thought you were getting your info from the Mayans . . . aren't they the ones who told you I have nothing to worry about?
Quote:
I don't get my information from the State Department or from cable or network TV.

My go-to source these days is Newsy's Carissa Loethen
A Few Days Solo in Baja
kobukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #11548
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,680
Hey MikeMike or anyone else that knows!

What is the living conditions, Pros and Cons of Tampico, MX? Looking for a place with year round moderate temperatures, plus close to the border. Tampico looks pretty good by the Weather Channel info. Of course, what are all of the other conditions like. I have ridden through the town several years ago and remember a combination of good/orderly locations and some not so good and at times in close proximity to each other. I think that I also saw some Suzuki DL650s being used as police motos. Thanks!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #11549
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I have absolutely no problem with the folks at 801 Bourbon. I just prefer drinking at Vino on Duval or at Joes Tap Room or if I want lousy service I go to the Green Parrot.
Lousy service. Good music sometimes. That's always been my experience with the Green Parrot but that is indeed a popular place.

I used to really enjoy Maragaritaville Key West but that was years ago. Now it's overcrowded most of the time and much of their really good food has vanished from the menu. Now Margaritaville New Orleans is the only Margaritaville that goes back to the early days of being a small bar with good music and good food.

With almost 300 bars on an island 2 miles x 3 miles there is plenty of variety. I guess that the closest thing that I have found to a laid back watering hole is Capt. Tony's when the tourists have left.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #11550
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejohn View Post
lousy service. Good music sometimes. That's always been my experience with the green parrot but that is indeed a popular place.

i used to really enjoy maragaritaville key west but that was years ago. Now it's overcrowded most of the time and much of their really good food has vanished from the menu. Now margaritaville new orleans is the only margaritaville that goes back to the early days of being a small bar with good music and good food.

With almost 300 bars on an island 2 miles x 3 miles there is plenty of variety. I guess that the closest thing that i have found to a laid back watering hole is capt. Tony's when the tourists have left.
++1