ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 06:14 PM   #4021
Dude69
Usurper of Gov'ts
 
Dude69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Samamamamish, WA
Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
I am trying to track back to my question to BMW Rep from NJ for him to recommend me to go with Standard GS with low seat option. I had shown my 30" inseam limitation and need for a lowered suspension to him. With Standard, I barely got the bike off the stand and was tippie towing.

Someone here mentioned that Dynamic ESA is not available with Low suspension for the WC. I searched google and could not find the answer. I wanted to confirm this.

Called my local dealer, he said with current model ESA is not available with low suspension, but he could not confirm same holds true for the new water cooled GS.

Does anyone have any answer, or have talked to the BMW rep and gotten any answer whether Dynamic ESA is available with Low Suspension.

.... I wish I was 6 foot tall, and then I wouldn't have had these problems.
30" inseam.. you should be fine on a standard GS. Mine tops out at 29" and I rode an 08 GS and able to ride 800GS and taller bikes...

Motard stops are the rage... ;)
__________________
"I've never had a bike ask me if I'm going to be inside riding my wife all day"
1999 BMW R1200C & 2007 BMW R1200S
Past loves: 2008 R1200GSA/2001 R1200CLC & Phoenix /2005 F650GS/2002 R6/1973 R50/5 Toaster
IBA #32752
Dude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #4022
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude69 View Post
30" inseam.. you should be fine on a standard GS. Mine tops out at 29" and I rode an 08 GS and able to ride 800GS and taller bikes...

Motard stops are the rage... ;)
That is amazing. I couldn't even get the F800GS off the side stand. My dealer always had to remind me that 800GS just not or me, but 1200GS is better option.

I saw one one gentleman at the Long Beach show, about my height and probably same inseam as mine, mounted the bike and was tippie towing. I went before he did, and I was nervous. He said even if he does not flat foot, he's okay with the I pipe tow.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #4023
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadless View Post
Have you had the opportunity to mount the h2ohead? I found the seat and seating position much more accommodating to those of us that were short changed in the leg department. And the overall ergos fit me much better than my '05 even with the changes that I made to it. You may find that the bike may not need to be lowered.

Oh, and about your question, I have no idea about a lower ESA version.
Yes, I was able to mount the bike, albeit with BMW Rep from the back to make sure if I lift up and can't touch the ground I didn't wanted it fall. Bi was on the toes an not even the feet balls.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #4024
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
That is amazing. I couldn't even get the F800GS off the side stand. My dealer always had to remind me that 800GS just not or me, but 1200GS is better option.

I saw one one gentleman at the Long Beach show, about my height and probably same inseam as mine, mounted the bike and was tippie towing. I went before he did, and I was nervous. He said even if he does not flat foot, he's okay with the I pipe tow.
5'8" 28" inseam, and I can easily ride an R1200GS Adventure. I rode an R1200GS for several years!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #4025
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,432
I could easily ride a GSA too (5'10/30") but I surely wouldn't characterize righting it off the side stand as easy, especially when laden with panniers. .
__________________
2014 Ducati MTS1200S
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, KTM 1290 SDR, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #4026
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
That is amazing. I couldn't even get the F800GS off the side stand. My dealer always had to remind me that 800GS just not or me, but 1200GS is better option.

I saw one one gentleman at the Long Beach show, about my height and probably same inseam as mine, mounted the bike and was tippie towing. I went before he did, and I was nervous. He said even if he does not flat foot, he's okay with the I pipe tow.
There always are options for the f800gs like a lower seat, dealing with the fork and the suspension. you can gain about 7cms
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #4027
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
There always are options for the f800gs like a lower seat, dealing with the fork and the suspension. you can gain about 7cms
F800Gs is way too tall for me. Not an option. I found R1200GS to be lower than 800GS.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #4028
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 279
Back to my original question - in the new water cooled R1200GS, is Dynamic ESA available for low suspension? Dealers don't have this info until March 2013 when they go to Morocco. Has anyone gotten any word from BMW while at the show?
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #4029
Lcolton_BMWVC
Poor College Student
 
Lcolton_BMWVC's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk View Post
Back to my original question - in the new water cooled R1200GS, is Dynamic ESA available for low suspension? Dealers don't have this info until March 2013 when they go to Morocco. Has anyone gotten any word from BMW while at the show?
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thats gonna probably be a no. Since the ESA option has been available, it has never been able to be combined with ESA. That goes for the RT, R12R, R12GS, and even now the F700/800GS's. I would not count on it.



**I will check on the build site to see if both options can be added together, in the morning...

Lcolton_BMWVC screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 01:21 AM Reason: more info
Lcolton_BMWVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #4030
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,898
Prices now announced in the UK

R1200GS - 11,395 - includes ABS, Hand guards, L & R Pannier Fastenings but everything else is an option

R1200GS Enduro - 12,435 - c/w Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro-riding modes
Daytime Running Lights
Cruise Control
Cross Spoke Wheels
Hand guards
L & R Pannier Fastenings

R1200GS Touring - 13,815 -
Heated Grips
Tyre Pressure Control
Led White indicators
Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro riding modes & Dynamic ESA (semi active suspension system)
LED Headlight with Daytime Riding Light and twin bar rear light
On-Board Computer Pro
Preparation for GPS
Chrome plated Exhaust system
Cruise Control
Hand guards
L & R Pannier Fastenings

The Touring is going to be the big seller; 85% of all previous R1200GS's had the Dynamic & Premium packs on & the Touring is the equivalent.
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #4031
Lcolton_BMWVC
Poor College Student
 
Lcolton_BMWVC's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcolton_BMWVC View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thats gonna probably be a no. Since the ESA option has been available, it has never been able to be combined with ESA. That goes for the RT, R12R, R12GS, and even now the F700/800GS's. I would not count on it.



**I will check on the build site to see if both options can be added together, in the morning...
Shows how much I know. On BMWs order site today it let me add options 191 Dynamic ESA and option 499 Low Suspension.

It is still early for a deffinative answer, but it appears as though BMW has finally figured out ESA and low suspension...
__________________
Now just a broke a$$ college student
2014 Ducati Hypermotard
Lcolton_BMWVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #4032
Montauk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Fruit County in Golden State, USA
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcolton_BMWVC View Post
Shows how much I know. On BMWs order site today it let me add options 191 Dynamic ESA and option 499 Low Suspension.

It is still early for a deffinative answer, but it appears as though BMW has finally figured out ESA and low suspension...
Holy Smokes Batman! You da man. You have given me hope.

I like to at least flat foot as much as possible. With enduro riding especially, you will not always have a leveled surface, mostly it would be very uneven.

Flat footing on my current bike, I can relax while stopped and sitting on the bike for good 20 minutes.
Montauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #4033
rattis
Beastly Adventurer
 
rattis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: East of the seas of Kattegat
Oddometer: 1,092
Talking 38 " inseam

If life is hard for those with dachshound length legs it's not so much easier for us who are on the opposite end of the scale.
A cramped riding position is not so much fun if you have even a half desire to "iron butt" a trip.
I have lowered my pegs about 50 mm and also made them pivotable, makes a big difference on a long day in the saddle.
Ok it's dead easy at the red lights
__________________
I wish I had bought a GSA a long time ago
and now I drink Orange Crush as well, double up now, a 990Adv and a 950 SER
rattis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #4034
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Prices now announced in the UK

R1200GS - 11,395 - includes ABS, Hand guards, L & R Pannier Fastenings but everything else is an option

R1200GS Enduro - 12,435 - c/w Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro-riding modes
Daytime Running Lights
Cruise Control
Cross Spoke Wheels
Hand guards
L & R Pannier Fastenings

R1200GS Touring - 13,815 -
Heated Grips
Tyre Pressure Control
Led White indicators
Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro riding modes & Dynamic ESA (semi active suspension system)
LED Headlight with Daytime Riding Light and twin bar rear light
On-Board Computer Pro
Preparation for GPS
Chrome plated Exhaust system
Cruise Control
Hand guards
L & R Pannier Fastenings

The Touring is going to be the big seller; 85% of all previous R1200GS's had the Dynamic & Premium packs on & the Touring is the equivalent.
Can you tell us how this pricing compares with the camhead GS?
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #4035
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer
 
RichBMW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Can you tell us how this pricing compares with the camhead GS?
It's virtually identical
__________________
2015 BMW S1000R Sport
2015 BMW R1200GSAW
RichBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014