Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #46
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhkiwi View Post
That's a myth - ask my family!

I just ordered the following product to reduce the gagging around my place: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ML8J8C - it was recommended to me and has good reviews on Amazon. If it works for me, it'll be worth every cent.

For some reason a few years back my feet would smell super bad even with fresh socks every day, smelled like cat pi$$. Tried powders, absorbine Jr, and other foot odor remedies to no avail.

Just using my head, and knowing rubbing alcohol kills bacteria, I got some of the mint scented stuff and put in a spray bottle. Every morning I sprayed my feet, for about a week, smell gone! And it has never returned.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #47
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
took two pairs of Exofficio boxer briefs on a 5 day backpacking trip through yosemite last summer. I'll say they are good for 3-4 days on a bike, but if we are talking about backpacking, they are good for 2 days max! =)

They are super comfortable and worth the couple of extra bucks (i normally wear gap boxers)
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
AdrianB1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
For some reason a few years back my feet would smell super bad even with fresh socks every day, smelled like cat pi$$. Tried powders, absorbine Jr, and other foot odor remedies to no avail.

Just using my head, and knowing rubbing alcohol kills bacteria, I got some of the mint scented stuff and put in a spray bottle. Every morning I sprayed my feet, for about a week, smell gone! And it has never returned.
Try Lamisil cream or equivalent, the bad odor is caused by fungi and not by bacteria. You need to use it as in the instructions and you will probably want to repeat after 6 months. Fungi are quite resistant to regular washing, higher temperature washing is needed for all your socks and also a spray for your all your boots and shoes - or else you will get reinfected.
AdrianB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #49
BigChris99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
No freakin way. And this from a guy that admittedly wore the same underwear for 5 days straight.
How do you think the real deal, tough as nails Iron Butt riders do it? Probably more like 10 days. It builds character.

IBA#7849

1997 Honda Valkyrie, 1998 Kawasaki KLR 650
BigChris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #50
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1150 View Post
This must be a British thing.. see the post above yours!
Ha ha, posted exactly the same time by a fellow Brit.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #51
burmbuster OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
REI is having a sale on Ex Officio and Smartwool. Just bought 3 pair of Smartwool ultra light hiking socks and another pair of Ex Officio boxer briefs.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #52
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 267
one vendor on amazon has exofficio boxer briefs for less than 20 bux, black is cheapest. wool would be better, but $$$ Also, patagonia and rei brands are close to the exes.
wash them in the shower if you travel, just keep them out of hot water or the elastic will give up. wash in the cold water that comes first while you're waiting for the hot water. bar soap works fine.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 267
Wool ones on BF sale at EMS for $30...http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12513546
Old 11-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #54
ddeitz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I wear Merino wool socks everyday, and they are supremely comfortable. They wick well, and as you noted, don't seem to retain odor like most fabric.

Mine aren't long enough to prevent my boots from being in contact with bare skin, which is icky when it's hot. Also most socks can sag while you are wearing them, which these over the calf socks don't.
Merino wool socks are now the only socks I wear. The very odd time I will toss on an old pair of cotton socks to sit around the house in, but work\going out\riding it is always merino such a great material.
ddeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 AM   #55
950katoom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
I just need to find a good pair of socks now.
Coconut socks by Roadgear.
http://roadgear.com/coconut-silver-socks-c-22_63.html
950katoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #56
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver View Post
Washed every day, I have not had problems. I have issues wearing clothes more than once without washing them my whole life.
I guess an early life of presumed colonial ease and sensibilities living in southern Africa must have developed that....
Or maybe just living and traveling in hot climates...

The material is different to the shirts I have. They do cling a bit more, but that is part of the comfort / support thing, as they are not cut to fit slightly loose like the ExOfficios are.
An update to the above. I've just spent a week, swapping between 1 set of ExOfficios and the Under Armor shorts.
Washed either one every day. Towards the end, I washed both pants on the same day, hung both up to dry, and after applying the sniff test, the Under Armor shorts were noticeably better smelling (as in no smell).
Not sure why, I would have expected the ExOfficios to do better.

The Under Armors are made from a stretchier material, that sits tighter and clings more, except for the crotch area which is a much more absorbent material.
For the $9 I paid for them, IMHO a real bargain compared to the ExOfficios.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #57
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,293
This real life testing is great. I can't wait to start sniffing my underpants
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #58
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,163
I'm telling you guys - you'll be surprised with bamboo underwear then as well... but based on that test I'll eventually try the UnderArmor as well.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-06-2012 at 08:16 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #59
LoneStar
WhoopDeDoofus

Oddometer: 1,211
Ditto on the merino socks for riding. I've tried a lot of sox and underwear combos, and the SmartWool Merino sock liners are great. They are a bit thinner than regular socks but noticeably cooler in Texas weather and MUCH less smelly after use.

I've used the nylon/spandex type shorts for underwear when riding and they've worked really well at staying comfortable far longer than other types. Look for brands that don't have seams across the butt area. Pack small and wash/dry easy.

Recently I've tried the Ex Officio's and they are really comfortable. I think I'll carry a couple pairs of those and couple pairs of the spandex on long trips.

Nothing like chatting about underwear amongst friends
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote