Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #31
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
I think itís better (or not) depending on what you want, the Batwing makes for a non-turbulent ride but at the same time it can feel somewhat isolated when compared to the RK. I didnít have any complaints with the RK (even though it was turbulent in comparison) and still donít it certainly felt like you were riding a motorcycle, the EG is more car like sitting back and enjoying the tunes. Iím still getting used to not being able to see my front end and I miss that. Iíve never really looked at the EG before, this one just caught my eye and it was more spur of the moment. Iím really liking the tunes, when I rode the RK I just had a different mentality even though I wore ear buds I didnít really enjoy the music like I do on the EG. I also have the adjustable fairing air deflectors and lowers which take more wind off of me, there really is a big difference between the RK and the EG. Handling wise I think when equally compared the RK is a better handing bike, itís lighter and not as top heavy. The EG falls into corners compared to the RK with most of its 80+ pounds of weight located high on the bike, low speed handling suffers too. BTW Iím not saying itís a hard adjustment because itís not, but itís noticeable. I can flat foot this bike better than the RK because of the different stock seat.

Is it better all depends what youíre looking for, I miss the RK but Iím quite certain that the EG is going to be less fatiguing on long rides. Have put 1800 miles on it so far and Iím liking that peaceful easy feeling more and more.

Styling wise I think the RK looks better, though the EG is growing on me and with the Tour-Pac removed I think it will look as nice as the RK. JMHO

added: I do feel crosswinds and headwind more with the Batwing fairing and Tour-Pac,.
Thank you. That is an exceptional writeup, and I appreciate the information.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #32
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
As a two Road King owner, but never a faring FLH, what makes it better? I understand the miles and the "tightness" of new vs worn, but what is it about the faring? Like you I've put a lot of miles on Road Kings and have always thought the windshield did a nice job in all but the most turbulent conditions. But your post has me wondering. Thanks.
I've owned both and the Batwing is nice, offers tunes that work, better weather protection than the Road King windshield. If I were going back to a faired bike tho' I'd go with the Road Glide, uglier than a mud fence but that fairing and bike really fit me...
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 815
Congrats EricD! I am very happy with my Geezer Glide too...

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Congrats EricD! I am very happy with my Geezer Glide too...
Thanks, I like the look without the Tour-Pac, the list keeps growing of things I want to do. Another gratuitous picture of the E-Glide.

In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:25 AM   #35
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464

Couldn't resist the color, and wanted the bucket bars. Currently, it is peeled down with the tour pack removed and a backrest and Road Glide seat installed.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #36
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Had one and really didn't like it -- but they sure are pretty. Nice lookin' rides, guys.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #37
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotnow? View Post

Couldn't resist the color, and wanted the bucket bars. Currently, it is peeled down with the tour pack removed and a backrest and Road Glide seat installed.
I like the colors too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Had one and really didn't like it -- but they sure are pretty. Nice lookin' rides, guys.
Thanks, I'm curious what didn't you like about it, I don't want to start a debate just curious about a point of view from someone that didn't like the bike. Hopefully people wont beat on you for giving your honest opinion.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 93k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,700
Geezer glide indeed

I sold my '04 Heritage last year after 8 years and 27k miles. I owned other bikes too, so the mileage would have been much higher if it was my only bike. I bought it off of the showroom floor and at the time I figured that I would own it til the day I died.

It looked and sounded great after a stage 1 upgrade but it was still low 'n slow and it had a habit of leaving bits of chrome on the asphalt every time I rounded a turn. The fact that Harley had been building bikes for over a century without realizing that they leaned when they turned confounded me.

That I stood 6'-5" tall didn't help either. Full size Harleys are considered big bikes but with seat heights that average 24-28 inches they just didn't fit me. It felt great on the showroom floor but was a little bit less than ideal on the road.

Harley bashing is not my intent here and my bike never let me down, was mechanically flawless and never let a single drop of oil hit my garage floor. My wife misses it more than I do and this pic is from the CL ad when I sold it:

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,419
I'm loving my new Road King but I need to make my brain understand that I'm not on a dual-sport anymore. The big road-sofa does NOT have very much suspension travel!
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #40
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Aushfafrt nice looking bike I've never ridden a softail they have been described as a bike that you sit in compared to the tourers that you sit on. Ground clearence as not been an issue for me but both that I've owned have been 09 and newer, I've ridden the older tourers and I could touch down easily on them. They are slow no matter what you do to them compared to others, my friend had an RT and I rode her bike a bit what a difference in performance. I don't think your bashing you owned one and didn't like it, sounds like an honest informed opinion. Take a test ride on one of the new tourers you might be pleasantly surprised, power is still lacking though.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #41
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Aushfafrt nice looking bike I've never ridden a softail they have been described as a bike that you sit in compared to the tourers that you sit on. Ground clearence as not been an issue for me but both that I've owned have been 09 and newer, I've ridden the older tourers and I could touch down easily on them. They are slow no matter what you do to them compared to others, my friend had an RT and I rode her bike a bit what a difference in performance. I don't think your bashing you owned one and didn't like it, sounds like an honest informed opinion. Take a test ride on one of the new tourers you might be pleasantly surprised, power is still lacking though.
Mine is an 07 and I have to really be taking corners hot to get the floorboards to kiss the asphalt. Also, I haven't had much trouble with the dreaded 'pre 09 death wobble' either...

YMMV of course. And another pic in praise of the Geezer Glide:

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #42
EricD10563 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down View Post
Mine is an 07 and I have to really be taking corners hot to get the floorboards to kiss the asphalt. Also, I haven't had much trouble with the dreaded 'pre 09 death wobble' either...

YMMV of course. And another pic in praise of the Geezer Glide:

Cool picture, I think I need to go for a ride.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #43
dieatomkinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I literally traded my 09 Road King in 2 weeks ago also. Though I thought I had the Geezer Glide, I picked up a Road Glide Ultra. I know what you mean about radio and all that. I'm not going to lie I have yet to use the CB radio on it. Already put 1,500 miles on the bike. When I called to schedule the first service the service guy seemed surprised when I said I got it two weeks ago.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieatomkinder View Post
I literally traded my 09 Road King in 2 weeks ago also. Though I thought I had the Geezer Glide, I picked up a Road Glide Ultra. I know what you mean about radio and all that. I'm not going to lie I have yet to use the CB radio on it. Already put 1,500 miles on the bike. When I called to schedule the first service the service guy seemed surprised when I said I got it two weeks ago.

I know the feeling. I brought my RG Ultra back to the dealer five weeks after buying it to tighten the steering head bearing and I had 11,000 miles on it. It's a funny thing to have to repeat to the service guy.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #45
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
I like the colors too.

Thanks, I'm curious what didn't you like about it, I don't want to start a debate just curious about a point of view from someone that didn't like the bike. Hopefully people wont beat on you for giving your honest opinion.
For some reason I couldn't get used to the riding position. Felt cramped. I know that sounds strange. Couldn't complain about the machine itself though: high quality rolling sculpture.