Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 AM   #76
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Oddometer: 111
Day 17, The Ride and the Street Nap

From Mug Shots

Story by gpsKevin
The Ferry arrived in Prince Rupert at 3:00am; we were all forced to get up at 2:00am in order to get the bikes off the ferry. As last night was the last night on the ferry we had all stayed up too late partying. But so after only a couple of hours sleep we found ourselves back in line to enter Canada. We are down to 6 riders as we watch Jeffrey and the Kawasaki drive away with new buddy Larry.
From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

So in the dark, in the rain, a bit hung over at 3:00am we start our ride. The plan is to ride to Terrace and find a place for breakfast. At 6:00am we arrive at Denny’s, today right now Denny’s sounds good to us.
From Arctic Wolf Day16

So it’s a full big breakfast for everyone, I had pancakes and lots of Diet Coke, everyone else went for egg, bacon and coffee (except Tracy). Now with caffeine we are all back on the road, today we will need to log 460miles
From Arctic Wolf Day16

After about ˝ hour I am feeling tired so I decide to pull over and check in with everyone. As soon as I stop, Missy gets off her bike and lays down on the pavement and fall asleep. Wow I have never seen such a thing.
From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

Turns out we are all just beat, so we pull out the chairs and proceed to have a nap at now 8:00am in the morning. (except Steve, he never sleeps)
From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day16

From Arctic Wolf Day17

Ok, so after an hour group nap we are on the road again. They sure do get a lot of rain up here.
From Arctic Wolf Day17

The destination for the evening was Punchaw Lake, a remote forest camp about 50 south of Prince George. Ok so do you remember day 2, we stayed with GISDood (Kelly) at his tent Space in Prince George, So we had texted Kelly and told him where we would be camping. Kelly packed up his bike and rode out and met us at our camp. Wow great guy and it was good to see him again.
From Arctic Wolf Day17

I love this Tent Site stuff when you meet good people. So we all had dinner and camped together around a beautiful lake.
From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

From Arctic Wolf Day17

Long Day turned out great
From Arctic Wolf Day17
Old 12-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #77
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 361
I've enjoyed following this RR. Especially like to see the pics of the route you've followed.

Appears that most members of the team carried a generous amount of gear. What was the opinion regarding stuff that would be eliminated from the packing list of a similar future journey?
CharlestonADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #78
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Great report so far, I've been following along. I also did a ride to Alaska this past summer from June 19 to July 17.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #79
JakePoppa
n00b

Oddometer: 9
terrific!

What a terrific ride report. Seeing this makes me want an adventure bike rather the fat old harley I ride....LOL.
JakePoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #80
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Great stuff, everyone! Those pictures of the 'street nap' were hilarious! I've got a few photos from the evening at Punchaw Lake as well, so I'll post them up here for you all and try not to get ahead of the timeline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskevin View Post
So we had texted Kelly and told him where we would be camping. Kelly packed up his bike and rode out and met us at our camp.
I don't need much of a reason to get out... the weather was nice, the wife was working out of town, and I wanted to get out fishing. And it was great to see you all (minus Dave and Jeffrey, of course) on your way south.

Don't need much of a reason to get out and join friends for a ride when the road to meet you looks like this:

Plus a little gravel along the way...

I got to Punchaw Lake a couple hours before the rest of the gang and killed some time fishing. Caught a couple coarse fish (suckers) but no trout for dinner, unfortunately. At least the water was nice!

Soon enough I heard the distinctive sound of adventure twins (and Steve's single, too) so I headed back to shore. By the time I got back everyone had nearly finished setting up their tents.

Missy and a couple of the guys decided the water looked 'good enough' to have bath in... and away they went!

Being that this was to be the last night of camping for the group, there was no reason to hold back - I think at least half the bottle of fire starter was sacrificed to the camp fire gods and Missy had an inferno roaring in no time!

Once the flames died down, it was nice to just put your feet up and stare at the fire, mesmerized...

Great seeing you all again! Looking forward to the rest of the story!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 AM   #81
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Day 18,19 End of the ride

From Mug Shots

Not a very eventful riding day for us, we said our good byes to Kelly, and headed for the Sasquatch Inn near the border of the USA. We rode about 420 miles and had planned our final celebration dinner at the Inn. We arrived around 6:00pm and found that there had been a biker celebration here and it was just ending.
From Arctic Wolf Day18

From Arctic Wolf Day18

From Arctic Wolf Day18

From Arctic Wolf Day18

We saw people with clean bikes
We cleaned up and headed for our celebration dinner and found that the place would not let us in for dinner becauce Jeffrey was 18y old. Even with out drinking the place would not serve us dinner. So it was up to our room and we brought some dinner in. We can’t really recommend this place as they were not very helpful. But we had a nice evening reflecting on our adventures anyway. Day 19 in the morning we rode to Seattle and the ride was over. Wow just like that we were done.
From Arctic Wolf Day18

From Arctic Wolf Day18

The end of a ride always has mixed feelings, somewhere between happy about the ride and sad it is over.
But now is the time that we begin dreaming of the next ride.
What’s next on this post: I will collect some final thought from all the riders and I will post complete gps files for download in the next several days.
For the most current info you can always visit my web page for this ride.
ARCTIC WOLF RIDE summer 2012
The GPS files and Original ride plan doucment is at the end of the web page
Signed gpsKevin

gpskevin screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:07 AM
gpskevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #82
gpskevin OP
gpsKevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250 View Post
Great report so far, I've been following along. I also did a ride to Alaska this past summer from June 19 to July 17.
Gnarly Adventurer, Looks like you have done some great fun adventures, I love the 250 thing too! In 2010 my son and I did the Trans America trail on WR250R and we loved it:

From Tat4

Trans America Trail

gpsKevin
Old 12-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #83
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Really nice report!!
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #84
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,255
Great report.
Too bad about the celebration supper. Had you ended up in Alberta it wouldn't have been a problem,
our drinking age is 18.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #85
jmcg
Turpinated..

Oddometer: 388
Great RR + pics.

Thanks,

JM.
jmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #86
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,010
read every word, great job!!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #87
rgp332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great Ride Report !!
One more question where did you come up with the short legged chairs ?
I must have sumthin about 08's
rgp332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #88
Tommys04c
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
In on the whole ride. Read every word as well. Father, son, daughter, friend adventure, what else is there to say? Ride of a lifetime with family and friends. Doesn't get any better then that! Thank you all!!!
Tommys04c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #89
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Thanks much, enjoyed.

Heirhead
heirhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #90
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Outstanding report.............I have done the Alaska ride twice and then I watched the TAT video and that looks like a new adventure to check out....................Thanks for taking us all along.............

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote