Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #76
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Great stuff Don! Love the frame jig !
I couldn't tell where the shock was on the bycycle based mo-ped. There is a shock , right ?

You make me want a bike that I outweigh !
It's not a moped, it is a genuine plated motorcycle. Below the blue seat there is the sub frame that follows the seat. Below that is a nickle plated cylinder that points into the tank. That is the top end of the shock. The bottom is connected to the structure that goes up the tire from the swing arm.

No pictures of the super simple secret guts of the shock.

OOPS, The shock on the moped (in Photobucket) is on the left side. It is a Cane Creek air shock. It does not even use air for damping.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #77
250kicker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
hey how about an update on your kx100 project! hows the bike- been riding it alot? any more changes or upgrades?
250kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #78
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Great!

I love this bike. I have been criticized so much for building it. I'm not sure why everyone thinks this it is dumb. It is another tool for me to go fast. It is my fastest bike in tight familiar woods that I own. I Have quite a lot of experience and own a TXC310, WR250R, KX250, and this KX100. On the KX100 I can leave almost anyone as long as I don't hit any long straights. I have a list of things done to the bike most of which is listed in the below video. I forgot to mention I also have Factory Connection springs for my weight. I put a 54T rear on it and it is a tad overkill. I should do a 53t. The bike is proving to be very durable. I have rode the hell out of the bike and I put a ring in it last month. At that time I only had .003mm of end gap increase running Yamalube S-2. Still using the original clutch and springs. I would like to note that the only real downside I have noticed other than the 450's leaving me in the fields in with it being so light and have less contact patch due to the small tire size it move around a LOT! It is a new style of riding for sure. You have to teach yourself how to ride basically out of control and get comfortable like that. I have never fallen so much as I have on this bike. With that said I have never go as fast as I can with this bike. One other thing of note is I can climb hills like nobodies business on this thing. It is just had to keep the front end down and it is so light if I don't make it I can hope off and save the flip over. It is cool. I wouldn't want ot have it as my only ride but in the very tight woods where you want to haul ass it is amazing. It don't like to put around however so it isn't have good for exploring new areas. This is best for well known, speeder type of riding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuusL6sAm_g

and a MT bike video so you can see my other style and learn where my influence comes from.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kNwfZ4DMM

ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #79
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Can't argue with the performance of the KX100 I bought one for my daughter a few years awesome little machine. Honestly I ride it more than she does...

For CA riding needed to fine one pre 2002 for Green Sticker all year around riding.

rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #80
250kicker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
thats great gamster! nice to see someone going against the grain and doing what they want instead of riding with the sheep. if you wanted less criticism you could have turned a boss-hoss into an off-roader. The little kx100 sounds like a great playbike, thanks for sharing.
250kicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #81
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kicker View Post
thats great gamster! nice to see someone going against the grain and doing what they want instead of riding with the sheep. if you wanted less criticism you could have turned a boss-hoss into an off-roader. The little kx100 sounds like a great playbike, thanks for sharing.
thank you
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM   #82
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Hugemoth, you Ultralight is awesome. Do you have a build thread? I'd like to build something like that myself.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #83
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
Sorry, no build thread but here are the basics.

Frame, swing arm, rear wheel, etc., are Honda CT90, any year will do.
Entire front end including bars, levers and gas tank are from a Honda XR100.
Engine is a Lifan 140cc
Exhaust is standard CRF 50 type pit bike.
Seat is Harley Sportster.
Speedometer is Schwinn brand bicycle.

That's about it. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
Hugemoth, you Ultralight is awesome. Do you have a build thread? I'd like to build something like that myself.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #84
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

How does it ride? Is it trail worthy? Is it stable at 50 MPH? What is the seat height? Do you have a breakdown of the cost?
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #85
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,761
Rides excellent on trail and road and is quite stable at 60 mph. My daughter (light weight) has had it to 67 mph verified by GPS with different gearing. Not sure what the seat height is but it's adjustable. Where I have it now is comfortable for me with a 34" inseam but I drop it an inch or two for my daughter.

Cost

Old CT90 with bad engine $75
XR100 basket case with bad engine free.
Lifan 140 engine with carb, electronics, oil cooler, etc., $400
Better oil cooler lines $20
New DID O-ring chain $45
Bicycle speedo $10
Generic adjustable rear shocks $40
Automotive 35/35W sealed beam headlight $5 with homemade brackets
Trailer tail light with homemade bracket $5
Momentary contact switches for horn and kill $7
Used Sportster seat $20
Pit bike exhaust $25

That's about it. There is no battery. Lights work off the alternator and are bright and always on when the engine is running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
How does it ride? Is it trail worthy? Is it stable at 50 MPH? What is the seat height? Do you have a breakdown of the cost?
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #86
kytsrf
girlyboy

Oddometer: 11
ggamster,

Thank you for the pioneering thread. Have a 400xcw, but always remembering light mountain bike style.
My 220lb friend has a 450 MX bike, likes riding his KTM 105sx just as much. He let me try it; the wheelbase & wheelsize were notable, but I still searched the web for other adults experience with the KX100. Some scoffed,
while others where upbeat. Your write-up is the one that pushed me over the edge.

A retired vet rider in town bought a 2013 KX100 new as a practice bike; he dialed all the suspension tight, but put only a fraction of an hour on it before trading it in. I bought it no tax/title/fees wholesale.

This KX100 pins my ears back all 6 gears. My weight is same as the bike, height 5'11".
Set the forks back near default, as well as the rear spring pre-load, rebound and damping.

We ride a 13,000 acre cattle ranch 20mi. west of Okeechobee Fl. Bulls, cows, fresh calves, caracara birds,
free range donkeys, deer, and the random coyote. Incredible lightness of being. Thank you!

kytsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #87
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Wicked KX 100 for adults

ggamster,

Loved your reasoning, write up and video. Ignore the naysayers.

Check out this post referring to my KX 100: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=57

I am now thinking about my little KX with adult intent! Perhaps for tight trails, this would be a great option?

Keep posting updates, everyone. Thanks.

Dean
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #88
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 970
The reason I have a crf 230. Light, good power and way to much fun

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #89
barbwire44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
any of you boys wanting a kx100 I just put a beautiful one in the classifieds here.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857197

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #90
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
The reason I have a crf 230. Light, good power and way to much fun
The CRF is a heavy pig.