Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #16756
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,635
Great day for a ride. The sun was shining and the roads were fairly dry.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #16757
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker747 View Post
2. The bolt patterns all seem to jive with my DRZ400s in that this full system will be able to accept the stock heat sheild as I understand it. However, there's a black collar that I am not too clear about it's purpose. Maybe it clamps the section inserting to the pipe?

The seller says that he took it off his 2001 DRZ and put back the stock pipe because he didn't have the 3x3 mod and carb jetted.

Please comment if you have an idea about these questions, and it's value?

Thanks!!!
I just put a Leo Vince exhaust on my DRZ 400S (got a smokin deal from Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply ) the exhaust was from an E model and the mount behind the passenger peg was close, but wouldn't line up (about an inch off), so I went down to my local muffler shop and the guy welded a SS washer on the pipe mount, worked great and he only charged me $20, which was less then I would have spent in beer money to have my friend weld it

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #16758
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I just put a Leo Vince exhaust on my DRZ 400S (got a smokin deal from Forrest at Wheeling Cycle Supply ) the exhaust was from an E model and the mount behind the passenger peg was close, but wouldn't line up (about an inch off), so I went down to my local muffler shop and the guy welded a SS washer on the pipe mount, worked great and he only charged me $20, which was less then I would have spent in beer money to have my friend weld it
Nice, lets see some pics.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #16759
The Recycled Teenager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post

So where in Vermont are you
I am in Ottawa Ontario so maybe a ride is possible in the spring ( I trailer as my S is low geared 14/53 )
Must be some nice trails in your area, do you do much and if so do you pull the bags etc off ?
What day was that at 19, C or F

2009 DRZ400S 2000 BMW 1150GS 1976 TY 175 2010 Beta EVO 250
KLR 650-sold
1977 BMW R100-sold
The Recycled Teenager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #16760
Creeker747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
I bought it, and found out that it came off of a "S" model DRZ, so I am good to go. Just wait'n for some time to free up to install it. For $160 for a full system Yosh system, I think it will be a great add.
Creeker747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #16761
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Can someone give me a measurement on a spark plug wrench please?

Hi guy's, I've not long been the owner of a nice 2003 400S, which came to me with no tool kit.
What I need for her is a spark plug socket / wrench, and also some information, like are they special as per my other squeeze the XR400, which needs to be thin enough to get down the tunnel.
Therefore I need to know the overall length, and also what size, eg:- 16 mm 18 mm etc.
Thanks in advance,
Mark.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #16762
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-Zamboni View Post
If i am seeing this correctly is looks like the stand itself is modified with a grip of some sort to grab the square portion of the swing arm. There are no modifications/brackets on the bike for it. Looks good. Maybe instead of selling mine I'll spend an hour in the machine shop making something similar.

Thanks for the pic.
You dont have to modify them. They make them this way.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-65620.html

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #16763
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post

What's the story on those bags?

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #16764
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3MC View Post
Does this help?

A friend gave me a pair of them awhile ago. The other is a post type rack for the front wheel (I guess)...
I've normally only use it with the smaller bikes..it's steady but not overly sturdy.

a similar excellent quality one piece stand with similar L pads can be had at Harbor Freight for about $36. I use one on my Zephyr 550 and with the same setting is right for my KLX650. Low buck quality, sometimes a rarity at HF, but in this case it is there.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #16765
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
You dont have to modify them. They make them this way.
http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...and-65620.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
a similar excellent quality one piece stand with similar L pads can be had at Harbor Freight for about $36. I use one on my Zephyr 550 and with the same setting is right for my KLX650. Low buck quality, sometimes a rarity at HF, but in this case it is there.

They're $25

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #16766
motolab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingam00 View Post
I not 100% sure but think I remember reading where someone had their stock petcock leaked through the vacuum line from the stock petcock which filled the cylinder with fuel. The leaking petcock's fuel did go through the carb but through the vacuum line to the cylinder.

So an in-line shut off would not help in this example. I believe that this is rare buts has happen before.
That's pretty unlikely, as there are typically two layers to the diaphragm in a vacuum operated petcock, with the outer edges sandwiched between a spacer. The spacer typically has a drain hole in it, so that if the layer nearest the fuel gets a hole in it, the fuel will exit there. If the layer nearest the intake port gets a hole in it, there will be a vacuum leak, which will cause the engine to either idle high or die (depending on engine temp and the severity of the leak) until the engine dies from fuel starvation as the bowl empties (if the leak in this layer of the diaphragm is severe enough, the petcock will close/not open). The only way for fuel to fill the engine from a diaphragm failure is if both layers fail simultaneously and the drain hole in the spacer is plugged, or if both layers fail simultaneously and so spectacularly that the volume of fuel that leaks past the diaphragms is far greater than can exit the drain hole.

Regards,

Derek
motolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #16767
wingam00
Formely AKA Wingam00

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post
That's pretty unlikely, as there are typically two layers to the diaphragm in a vacuum operated petcock, with the outer edges sandwiched between a spacer. The spacer typically has a drain hole in it, so that if the layer nearest the fuel gets a hole in it, the fuel will exit there. If the layer nearest the intake port gets a hole in it, there will be a vacuum leak, which will cause the engine to either idle high or die (depending on engine temp and the severity of the leak) until the engine dies from fuel starvation as the bowl empties (if the leak in this layer of the diaphragm is severe enough, the petcock will close/not open). The only way for fuel to fill the engine from a diaphragm failure is if both layers fail simultaneously and the drain hole in the spacer is plugged, or if both layers fail simultaneously and so spectacularly that the volume of fuel that leaks past the diaphragms is far greater than can exit the drain hole.

Regards,

Derek
Good explanation Derek but I did have the note that it was "rare".

“There is only one reason for pavement and that is to get to dirt.” - “King” Richard Burleson

-- If you argue with a Fool you are a FOOL! --
wingam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #16768
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,360
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Hi Westy,

The engine with the new trans went back into the bike last weekend... It has had some dyno time over the weekend to dial in safe mixtures and a couple of hundred clicks on the road before going back to the dyno for final tuning and power runs... plus a couple more hours on the road. I am happy with it so far, but it remains to be seen how I get along with it in soft conditions.

The rationale behind the Nova for me was getting a sane 5th for highway cruising while still retaining the crawling ability of an acceptably low first and I am kind of surprised at your 15/44 gearing with this transmission and especially with a stock engine...

The gearing choices that I have made are 15/47 and 15/49 and the latter is currently fitted. Even with the 15/49 it is still pulling (in a common frame of reference for others) a slightly taller fifth than a stock transmission with 16/44 which is about as tall as I'd ever suggest going with a stock engine... that is about the point where, IMO, the bike starts to become over geared.
Hi Guys,

My ACT gear set arrived last week. Good service from the company.

After the Christmas break th egears are going in, so then I will comment about how it goes.

I am using 15/44 sprockets with the standard transmission 5th is about where I want it for my riding but 1st is too high for tight stuff. Dirk from ACT suggested I try 14/47 with the new gears, so I will try that and see how it feels, but I will try 14/44 first because I hate changing sprockets!
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #16769
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by motolab View Post

Regards,

Derek
Had the vacuum diaphragm go bad in my DRZ and fill the engine with fuel. It is only a single diaphragm and any leakage goes directly into the intake manifold through the vacuum port downstream of the carb. Gravity will take it straight into the cylinder.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #16770
Leoffensive
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hello guys. I just pulled trigger on a new 2012. Pick it up on Monday.

It's my first bike ever
Leoffensive is offline   Reply With Quote