User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Unless you have really short friends, you can take out the back seat. It weighs way more than it should, and is somewhat useless. I bolted a small (18" x 20" x 12") metal box in the back of mine, so I had a place to lock a few things.

Since I didn't care about the interior, I took it to the lumber yard & steel yard to pick up materials. A 10 footer will stick out the back winder just a few feet, as long as the front is in the passenger foot well. For a run around town shitbox, it was fine. It sucked for road trips.

Its best day was when a friend in a lifted Burb, with $10,000 of offroad chingaderas tried to follow me in Death Valley. He broke the front diff on a large rock, because he couldn't keep up with my shitbox off road.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #17
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,301
My advisors convinced me to take it to a shop to have the clutch looked at. I checked the Car Talk radio show's Mechanic's Files and Al De Mark seemed like the best fit. I expected to pay $600+ for all the hardware and labor including a pedal and cable. Of course I wanted to be a cheapskate and use AutoZone parts or somesuch because i'm that guy. I admit it, I have KLR envy. That's how bad it gets. It turns out to just be a linkage problem. PO installed good parts wrong. Bo (Beau?) installed the existing parts correctly and I owe him ~$160. How many shops in town would have charged me for the whole clutch job like I asked for? Almost all of them, i'd imagine.

Thumbs UP to Al De Mark in downtown Colorado Springs.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,688
Good to hear you got the clutch fixed, and cheaper than you figured.

Get them 4x4 parts yet?
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #19
bayoulubejim
Banned

Oddometer: 454
Sweet,

I always wanted one of them. Looked around a bit a bit for one for the wife and 16 yo this year. Every one wanted 2 grand up for a 2 wheel drive.
bayoulubejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #20
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
This is you, isn't it;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lbxBFb3A5ak

Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #21
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
Serenety prayer works for that too. There's fear in life. What are you going to do about it? It has two airbags and ABS. I never cared about that stuff.
ABS would be handy. My dad had originally bought mine for the 4x4 in the Nebraska winters. Problem was, it didn't have ABS, and anytime you tapped the brakes it would start fishtailing like a motherfucker. That eventually put me in the median of I-80 when I was using it to get moved and the weather turned to freezing rain.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Iowa City?
How's things in the flat land?
Charlie's bar still open?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #23
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
tracker jump

That is the most air I have ever seen a car do on youtube. Hats off to the crazy rednecks. Wonder if he drove it home. Shocks busted?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #24
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

I'm sure he bent and broke some stuff.
But they are a damn tough vehicle.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
El Guero
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Iowa City?
How's things in the flat land?
Charlie's bar still open?
I'm not aware of a Charlie's in Iowa City anymore... Everything else is swell though!

Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.iowabeat.com/bar/charlies-bar-grill.htm

And back on topic

Old 07-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #27
RLK OP

By now you probably have figured out that i'm not the smartest person you'll never meet. I'm a never ending-daydreamer. I daydream about a custom plug-in hybrid front drive system. In this dream I put 4x4 front end parts in from manual hubs to the pumpkin and drive it w/electrons. Re-gen brakes, electric only mode or electric start and only use gas power to the rear for 3rd gear+ needs. Unlock the hubs and shut it all off and drive it normally gas RWD mode for long highway stretches. There's room for batts under the seats.

I don't think they teach this kind of stuff at the community college...

...also in this daydream the roof doesn't leak. If you find a good used hardtop laying around please holler. Thanks

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

RLK screwed with this post 08-01-2012 at 12:12 AM
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #28
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Hardtops are expensive, new soft tops are under $200 and shouldn't leak.
You need to get over here, join up and look around. http://www.zukikrawlers.com
There is a good used parts section, and plenty of knowledge about what you are driving.

I didn't know a thing about my Zuk when I got it, but learned a lot on ZK.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:26 AM   #29
El Guero
V4 Whore

Mine had a Besttop hardtop on it. I think it worked well for a few years but it started leaking all over the place eventually. Also, when windows would get knocked out of it, replacements were almost impossible to find. I always wanted another ragtop but my dad claimed it would be too noisy.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
RLK OP

Recent developments have allowed me to get this thing somewhat squared away. Its got new Dunlops in 185 65R 15. The spec size 195 75R no longer exists. I still have KLR envy so Rather than the more expensive 205 70Rs I went smaller/cheaper. By my best guesstimate these are 8% smaller than OEM. 65mph indicated is only 60 actual mph. I took a trip to ere109's xmx party by the exact route Goog maps gives at 69.0 miles. The odo measured 153.6 directly to and back. Off by a factor of .898 or whatever. On the trip I was aiming for 75 indicated. I can describe it as feeling like driving a flying windshield, quite an aerodynamic disaster scraping along through the air, half fast, 3800 rpm. The short base magnifies steering inputs. A little wiggle of the wheel can turn into an ugly swerve. The wall of air that dumps off the sides of bigger vehicles at speed wants to push the little buggy around a lot. That's exciting to deal with, between that and the spedo corrections its a lot to...er... keep Track of.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: