Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #811
THB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
That's near me. Too bad I can't ride off road anymore, looks like good riding. You ever ride back to Tortilla Flat in Apache Junction? Rt 88 is why I decided to convert my DR to a Supermoto. Love that road.

Tech23
Absolutely! I had a DRZ Supermoto for a while and that was blast up at TTF.
2003 Yamaha YZ250
THB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #812
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Hmmm... I've been staring at my rear suspension, thinking... and rethinking.

And I do believe you may be right.. and I was.. *cough* ...perhaps ... um..... wrong.

Which makes me wonder.... where's the trade-off??

Why isn't this simple and inexpensive modification the default method of raising the rear end?
I would like to know this as well....

Not being a mechanical guy, and having read all that I can find - and made blind assumptions - I would offer that a) most people want shorter bikes and b) (if I interpret what I have read correctly, and this is far from certain) it might put slightly more stress on that joint/hinge system.

If people are going to manufacture and sell a custom part, it pays to focus on where the masses want to buy, ie longer links resulting in shorter bikes.

I am with you on this issue, would love to add an inch or so to my seat height and wouldn't mind more ground clearance so I might have to find someone to help me with making some inexpensive links to experiment with before doing it correctly with more rugged components. I'm 6'5" and nearly 280lbs (dry weight) so durability will eventually be a concern.

I am open to feedback and thoughts

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #813
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Thanks for the pics, THB. Makes me want to hurry up and get my old girl back on the road! Glad you're doing better!

Dave
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 AM   #814
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
@ ungeheuer & TinMan: As stated by TinMan, most riders want to LOWER their bikes, not make them even higher. With an inseam of 36+ inches this is no motivation for me. One probable reason for this solution not being standard might be the increasing progression the more you raise the rear compared to stock. So you need a stiffer spring for your weight, but canīt use most of the travel due to the spring hardening quickly.

But I will rebuild my DR over the winter and plan to start off with the raising links, but the stock spring, using 7.5w fork oil instead of the 10w currently in use. This way I will get more progression (stiffening the stock spring earlier than by the use ot the stock dogbones), but with the softer stock spring maybe can use more of the travel the bike has to offer - currently I probably donīt use more than half of it, which is not reasonable.

EDIT: The shorter dogbones are made from steel, stock is alloy. So durability should not be an issue. At 280 lbs you will have no choice but to install the 8.something-spring anyway. Doing so you will definitely need stiffer oil in your shock, too, to tame your rebound (that is near to nonexistent in stock form already and gets considerably worse, the stronger the utilized spring is).

el capitan screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 09:24 AM
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #815
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I would like to know this as well....

Not being a mechanical guy, and having read all that I can find - and made blind assumptions - I would offer that a) most people want shorter bikes and b) (if I interpret what I have read correctly, and this is far from certain) it might put slightly more stress on that joint/hinge system.

If people are going to manufacture and sell a custom part, it pays to focus on where the masses want to buy, ie longer links resulting in shorter bikes.

I am with you on this issue, would love to add an inch or so to my seat height and wouldn't mind more ground clearance so I might have to find someone to help me with making some inexpensive links to experiment with before doing it correctly with more rugged components. I'm 6'5" and nearly 280lbs (dry weight) so durability will eventually be a concern.

I am open to feedback and thoughts
Changing to a shorter link won't affect durability. Not sure who makes links to RAISE the bike ... most of the ones out there are for making it lower. For your height and weight you will need the whole package to really get the most from your DR650.

Just a few options:
1. Heavier springs front and rear
2. Possible NEW shock with adjustable ride height, correct spring and damping for your weight and riding style.
3. Foot Peg lowering kit: (Pro Cycle) gives tall guys more leg room.
4. Custom seat: with a 2 inch "tall guy" rise.
5. Possible aftermarket forks: these are typically LONGER than stock forks ... so helps with raising the whole bike UP. Be sure to balance rear height to match front.
6. Rising Link to raise rear up a bit.

Once correctly sprung I doubt you'll have ground clearance problems unless you're riding Enduros on your bike. The DR is not really a good technical trail bike. But for just about anything else it's not too bad.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #816
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Just a few options:
1. Heavier springs front and rear
2. Possible NEW shock with adjustable ride height, correct spring and damping for your weight and riding style.
3. Foot Peg lowering kit: (Pro Cycle) gives tall guys more leg room.
4. Custom seat: with a 2 inch "tall guy" rise.
5. Possible aftermarket forks: these are typically LONGER than stock forks ... so helps with raising the whole bike UP. Be sure to balance rear height to match front.
6. Rising Link to raise rear up a bit.

Once correctly sprung I doubt you'll have ground clearance problems unless you're riding Enduros on your bike. The DR is not really a good technical trail bike. But for just about anything else it's not too bad.
#1 - done - by the previous owner - Racetech gold valves and heavier springs
#2 - done - also by the previous owner - Cogent rebuilt shock and spring
#3 - on my short list of new projects but doesn't really get the seat higher - I really liked the height of my son's DRZ, and that is sort of the impetus for this thought process
#4 - have a Renzaco seat, but It's not a "tall guy" version. It's a possible option down the road, but links would be a much cheaper option
#5 - mmmm yeah, a possible option. I see a lot of guys doing this, but probably past my level of confidence at the moment - and again, more expensive than shorter links I assume.
#6 - The reason for this conversation, and I am grateful for your input.

I really don't need more ground clearance - and I don't ever expect to ride my DR in an Enduro. It does everything that I want it to do quite well. And to be honest my riding ability is a far greater impediment to where I go than the capabilities of the bike. I just like a tall (Inexpensive and durable) bike.

Thank you for your input!

gregg

02 Suzuki DL1000 - 06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 06 DR650 - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #817
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,420
Eibach Shock Spring ID?

Can anyone help me identify an Eibach shock spring I have? I was part of the spares that came with my DR.

It's painted that dark tomato red. There are two numbers on it; 45038 and 0800.250.1100

Any help is appreciated. TIA, Dave.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #818
ungeheuer
DRongo

Oddometer: 31
Raising Links.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
....Not sure who makes links to RAISE the bike ...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/200398752...84.m1423.l2649

I bought a set.... so now I get to find out for myself.....

Thanks for your patience while I struggle to come to grips with the concept el capitan .
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #819
el capitan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Ungeheuer, I also got quite a bit of information from forums like this one that helped me understand various topics and to improve my bike. At least itīs no expensive tryout - let me know your impressions after a testride!
el capitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #820
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Can anyone help me identify an Eibach shock spring I have? I was part of the spares that came with my DR.

It's painted that dark tomato red. There are two numbers on it; 45038 and 0800.250.1100

I would call Jesse at :
http://www.kientech.com/

Or Pro Cycle. I believe both are Eibach dealers and should be able to cross reference those numbers and give you a spring rate.
Good luck!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #821
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
#1 - done - by the previous owner - Racetech gold valves and heavier springs
Do you know what spring rates are in there?
#2 - done - also by the previous owner - Cogent rebuilt shock and spring
Cogent may have a record of the work ... could tell you spring rate/damping? Worth a phone call.
#3 - on my short list of new projects but doesn't really get the seat higher - I really liked the height of my son's DRZ, and that is sort of the impetus for this thought process
#4 - have a Renzaco seat, but It's not a "tall guy" version. It's a possible option down the road, but links would be a much cheaper option
I like Renazco seats for serious dirt bikes but they pretty much suck for touring or longer rides (more than 4 hours) My KTM and Husky buddies with Renazco seats are crying by days end. (10 hour day)
#5 - mmmm yeah, a possible option. I see a lot of guys doing this, but probably past my level of confidence at the moment - and again, more expensive than shorter links I assume.
#6 - The reason for this conversation, and I am grateful for your input.

I really don't need more ground clearance - and I don't ever expect to ride my DR in an Enduro. It does everything that I want it to do quite well. And to be honest my riding ability is a far greater impediment to where I go than the capabilities of the bike. I just like a tall (Inexpensive and durable) bike.

Sounds like the raising links will do the trick!
Good luck with it! Your DR sounds super trick. You got a good one!!

Thank you for your input!
gregg
Glad I could help out!
Old 12-16-2012, 06:04 AM   #822
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
I would call Jesse at :
http://www.kientech.com/

Or Pro Cycle. I believe both are Eibach dealers and should be able to cross reference those numbers and give you a spring rate.
Good luck!
Thanks AG.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #823
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Thanks AG.
PS, I bought Eibach springs (front and rear) from Jesse in 2006.
I weigh 210 lbs. with gear. Jesse recommended the 7.6 kgs. spring with my stock shock. I since scored an Ohlins, sold off the stock shock.
Front springs are .46 kgs. with Race Tech emulators. Works pretty good on both street and dirt. YMMV.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #824
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EIB-08002501100/ Googlefoo. Race car springs...?

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #825
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
PS, I bought Eibach springs (front and rear) from Jesse in 2006.
I weigh 210 lbs. with gear. Jesse recommended the 7.6 kgs. spring with my stock shock. I since scored an Ohlins, sold off the stock shock.
Front springs are .46 kgs. with Race Tech emulators. Works pretty good on both street and dirt. YMMV.
You're about 20-25 lbs. heavier than I (with gear). The only way to figure out what I have, is to disassemble the front forks. Although, based on measurements, more than a few of you have opined that my DR is "in the ballpark" for my riding weight and the type of riding I like to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
I have no idea what it is. There's one and it looks like I have a spare set of the shims, cap and retainer, too. The more I think about it, and having just looked at the shop manual, I don't think any of this stuff is for the DR.