Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #76
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
Anyone care to compare an '06 XB12ss with the Uly? Leaving out the obvious lack of luggage, I'm interested in the street ride position and handling.
I've recently become enamored with the Uly, but during research I've noticed more problems with the earlier "06 models.
My question is, do the other Buell models, specifically an XB12SS, of the same vintage suffer similar problems? A low mileage one is available locally, but will I be looking at ECM upgrades, bearing problems, fan failure etc? I realize this is not setup as a tourer, but it will be more of a local rider, with some runs to the GA mountains for fun.
If you buy any 06 XB odds are any such issues were sorted LONG ago, except for rear wheel bearings, which is a problem for many bikes unless you upgrade to the 2010 rear wheel.

I'd say there is no significant difference in problems between the different XB models, but the 06 Ulys weren't particularly troublesome anyway.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #77
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
Do any of you know if an ECM from an 2007 XB12R will work in my 2006 Ulysses?

Yes, an 07 will work in your 06. I had to do it to mine (over 30k miles ago) for the same reason.

paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #78
wbrisett
hmmm....

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdxbones View Post
Just picked up a 2009 Uly this week. Got out for a few miles today, I understand the 'Buell bliss' feeling. I have a feeling that the Road Glide wont be getting as much time as it used to...
I loved my '07 Uly. It was/is my favorite bike that I've ever owned. My 1125CR was a nice fast bike, but it didn't speak to me the way the Ulysses did. I did some serious road trips on it. I decided to sell it a year or so ago and I picked up a Triumph Tiger 800XC thinking it would be "the one" to replace the Uly. It wasn't and after a brief stint on it I sold it and my BMW RT and picked up a BMW GSA. Now, it's not a full replacement for the Uly, but it's the closest thing I've had to a replacement. Erik and team spoiled me on the Uly and I'm hoping that IF the AX comes out it will be "the one". :)
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #79
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses View Post
If you buy any 06 XB odds are any such issues were sorted LONG ago, except for rear wheel bearings, which is a problem for many bikes unless you upgrade to the 2010 rear wheel.

I'd say there is no significant difference in problems between the different XB models, but the 06 Ulys weren't particularly troublesome anyway.
Going to look at the Ss tomorrow. I'll check the ecm for updates, I'm assuming the EBR units are marked and recognizable, yeah I used the "A" word!
I'm hoping that's done and the ergo's aren't too tight as my knees are shot. I did see that lower pegs are available aftermarket, can the Uly pegs be fitted?
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #80
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...

Oddometer: 1,467
used lowering shock/spring

I had a Uly several bikes ago. The previous owner had lowered the bike with shorter Buell shock - won't pretend to remember which one, it WAS several bikes ago.

Rummaging through the garage the other day I came across this shock/spring set. Rummaging through ADVrider I came across this thread.

Anybody need a shorter Uly or just a Buell shock?

I can probably get some pics up if there is interest, but I thought I would ask.

cheers!

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #81
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,411
PM sent

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #82
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul56 View Post
Do any of you know if an ECM from an 2007 XB12R will work in my 2006 Ulysses?

Yes, an 07 will work in your 06. I had to do it to mine (over 30k miles ago) for the same reason.

thanks paul56. I found an 07 XB12R ECM for sale and I need to replace my Uly's ECM since it's failing.
red450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #83
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Anyone care to compare an '06 XB12ss with the Uly? Leaving out the obvious lack of luggage, I'm interested in the street ride position and handling.
I've recently become enamored with the Uly, but during research I've noticed more problems with the earlier "06 models.
My question is, do the other Buell models, specifically an XB12SS, of the same vintage suffer similar problems? A low mileage one is available locally, but will I be looking at ECM upgrades, bearing problems, fan failure etc? I realize this is not setup as a tourer, but it will be more of a local rider, with some runs to the GA mountains for fun.

The SS is quite cramped up compared to the Uly. More of a sport bike ergo. I put Uly peg brackets, pegs & bars on the wife's SuperTT, which is basically a SS with longer suspension. It is very comfortable with those mods but it was fairly expensive. Too bad your so far away. Her SuperTT is for sale in the Flea Market but we are in Kansas. Good luck with your search.

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #84
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 898
I found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
The SS is quite cramped up compared to the Uly. More of a sport bike ergo. I put Uly peg brackets, pegs & bars on the wife's SuperTT, which is basically a SS with longer suspension. It is very comfortable with those mods but it was fairly expensive. Too bad your so far away. Her SuperTT is for sale in the Flea Market but we are in Kansas. Good luck with your search.

Murf
Knight pegs for my 09 xb12ss made the bike much more comfy and much more affordable than Ulysses parts. The bike to me is more comfortable especially on long rides than the Ulysses . Wind balances the rider out well. More sporty.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #85
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
Going to look at the Ss tomorrow. I'll check the ecm for updates, I'm assuming the EBR units are marked and recognizable, yeah I used the "A" word!
I'm hoping that's done and the ergo's aren't too tight as my knees are shot. I did see that lower pegs are available aftermarket, can the Uly pegs be fitted?
Quote:

Murf
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbig View Post
Knight pegs for my 09 xb12ss made the bike much more comfy and much more affordable than Ulysses parts. The bike to me is more comfortable especially on long rides than the Ulysses . Wind balances the rider out well. More sporty.
Looked at the Ss, pretty impressive! Murf, you're right about the ergo's, but I think with the lowered pegs (thanks cbig) and risers or maybe bars it will work. Unfortunately this dealer thinks he's sitting on a pot of gold and wasn't interested in 'dealing', so I'm still searching. Would still prefer a Uly, but I'm stuck with what I can spend!
www.earplugco.com
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #86
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

I think the Uly is much more versatile than the SS as far as passenger / luggage space . The easily adjusted rear preload etc. Things must be different in Florida. Here, there isn't any real difference in price between the two.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=kansas

Good luck with your search!

Murf
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #87
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
I think the Uly is much more versatile than the SS as far as passenger / luggage space . The easily adjusted rear preload etc. Things must be different in Florida. Here, there isn't any real difference in price between the two.

Good luck with your search!

Murf
I started sipping the Uly kool-aid when one went in Daytona for $3750! He sold it before I could begin to do any research. That kind of set my price range, both mentally and literally. Not too many Uly's here for sale, more Lightnings available. Unless I see a smoking deal on a lightning I'll hold out for a Uly in my price and travel range.
Nice bikes, and close to my price range, really like the way you set up the TT. Transport/shipping would knock me out of the deal.
Question, why are you selling both of them?
www.earplugco.com
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #88
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure why I'm selling them. We wanted a couple lighter bikes for our back road touring. I bought a DR 650 to try out. It's O.K. but I'm not really loving it. I think we may keep the Buells but with 5 bikes a car, a truck and a 65 GTO convert project I've got too much stuff. I hope you find what you want.

Murf
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #89
stoney4vida
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 2,165
Started a thread with this ? but wanted to quiz the Uly guys here. I want to use Pelican cases ( 1520 or 1550 ) on my Uly. If I buy Happy Trails pucks and put on Pelican cases will they mount up to stock Ulysses rack ?
stoney4vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #90
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,913
Here's your answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney4vida View Post
Started a thread with this ? but wanted to quiz the Uly guys here. I want to use Pelican cases ( 1520 or 1550 ) on my Uly. If I buy Happy Trails pucks and put on Pelican cases will they mount up to stock Ulysses rack ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney4vida View Post
any clearances issues with passenger pegs or grab bar or rear turn signals ??

You'll have plenty of room to work with. I mounted 1520's on the Uly that I had, using the HT mounting pucks and the stock racks. I miss that bike.

Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote