User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #1546
Asianrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Carnet ATA?

This thread is spreading faster than I can catch up with. A brilliant ride so far, can't wait to see Mongolia. And there's no good ride without a day or two struggling in the mud or deep sand, so it ticks all boxes

Now a question about you having to wait for Rod: is it because the bikes have been imported on a carnet ATA ? can you explain how it works, because I've never used it. If you're carrying a bike on a trailer, you can't just fill in a temp import form and be done with ? if I was driving in a van with a bike (registered at my name) in it, would I also need such a carnet or could I import it as if I was riding it ?

Thanks.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619155
Asianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #1547
Wal2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wal2
totally agree.......but given the chance to go or not, but it had to be on the G650.....what would you do....

i would still go ... just pack light and take soft bags

exactly......thats all i was trying to say just ride round the limitations as long as the basics are ok.

i didnt realise the Husky was so well priced, yes new would be nice, or max couple of years old g650.

the review i read of the Husky said a factory option is available with lower state of tune (10hp less iirc) so, possibly the std GS motor ??

anyway, sorry to clutter the story......rivetting reading, ive managed to put off changing a tyre on my bike for 2 evenings now
Wal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #1548
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseV4force View Post
Rod, I keep trying to put myself in your situation but I can't get my simple little head around it. When you parted ways with the rest of the group did you not start feeling a little apprehensive?

To be quite frank If I was in the situation of loading a broken bike onto the back of a truck, driving to a city where'd I'd never been with two people I'd never met that couldn't understand a word I said and vice versa with no idea as to whether I'd be able to get my broken bixed fixed, my stress levels would be through the roof and my underwear would be a rather less pleasant place to be than normal

However, you seemed to have not been fazed at all. I don't get it but I admire your constitution

Hi Norse
I think if I'd been parachuted in to the situation cold I'd've felt the same way, but these things are progressive and I suppose you just keep getting a little deeper in and accepting of it. If push came to shove-if the guys hadn't brought all three bikes in on the same carnet-I could have dumped the heap and flashed the magic plastic for a flight home, however, the guys couldn't get out of the country without my bike being with theirs. Problem .
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #1549
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

KTM test

The morning after the heavy night with Hassan and friend, he fired up Death Race 2012 and we tore across Barnaul to Viktor's shop.
The bike was semi-reassembled but in enough entirety to take a ride.
I cracked it up and scooted out of the factory for a test on the dirt road ...........

I grabbed a handful and the bike leapt forwards, suddenly biting hard on a very firm piece of broken tarmac and pulling an enormous (involuntary) wheelie-the only type I can do. FAAACK!....that got some cheers from couple of locals walking by whilst I tried to get the wheel back on the deck..it seemed to be ok..
I ran up the the main road out of town and pinned the throttle on a 4 lane , running over 100mph without a miss..again, it seems to be OK-so I turned round and ran the bike back into town. Just as I was going past the KTM Dealer (the irony of it) the bike coughed, ran another few yards and died.
I waited a few minutes, then restarted and limped back to Viktors shop. Back to square 1
All that day I pulled the bike up and down, Viktor changing the injector with a spare I carried, messing with the throttle position sensor. Viktor was still sure it was water in the fuel and I was now sure it wasn't, but something much more fundamental.
MY real worry was that I'd think it was sorted, and leave to catch up with the guys-then break down 200 miles from Barnaul with no language and not really knowing where I am or how to go back or forwards.
In the end, Viktor was out of ideas and God bless him, he refunded the money I paid him when we thought it was repaired. He'd worked on and off for 2 days and only charged me the equivalent of 40 Pounds (about 65 bucks) so I insisted he kept it..he insisted I wold have it back. ..so Hassan snatched the money from us and gave us half each. I couldn't get him the take the rest. He's a seriously decent man.

Now I really had a problem. I'm 6000 miles from home, with a bike I can't leave and the team waiting for me 500 miles away and unable to leave the country.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #1550
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

What now?

The local KTM dealer in Barnaul carries nearly nothing and has a reputation that suggest they're OK for changing tyres and doing a little bit of service work but you apparently wouldn't want to trust them with a serious repair.
Even if I order spares from them, they'll take 3-4 days to arrive and then might be held in customs for 2 weeks.
I went back to Hassans office and hopped onto the 'puter. I mailed Jim Aim Motorcycles near-ish to London and ordered: a fuel pump, coil, rectifier, and some other bits.
I now really have no choice-If I'm not going to totally spoil Prutster's and Beamster's holiday, I have to fly home via Moscow to London, run up to Jim's , grab the spares and fly back. If the bike isn't sorted then we're fucked. I'll need to try and hire a van, carry the bike to the border and get it out of the country with the others.
Hassan wanted to order the bits through some business contacts he has, but I couldn't gamble on the customs holding up release of the gear.
There was an Aeroflot flight early the next morning with a quick-ish connection in Moscow. It was £1100 return ( about 1700 bucks) but what are you going to do? Before I booked it I chatted to Hassan and told him what I was planning. He was quite insistent that he could sort it but I insisted I had to book. I returned to the computer and refreshed the screen as it had timed out.....THE PRICE FELL BY 300 QUID-about 500 dollars. Result!
Next morning Hassan got up at 5a..m and ran me through to the airport, I grabbed the Flot and landed in London about 14 hours later.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #1551
Big Daddy D
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350

Now what?
Big Daddy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #1552
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy D View Post

Now what?
Well, back in England then it would be...................a nice cup of tea

Or a pint or 10 of beer!!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #1553
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Djinn

My labrador dog had been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour in the back of her throat a few weeks before I left and a test had revealed it was a very aggressive type of cancer. I could have chemo and radium treatment for her, but even with that the prognosis was maybe as long as 15-16 months, at worst 2 months. I lost my sister to lung cancer and having seen what the treatment does to people I truly wouldn't put put a dog through it.
She'd been fine until the day before, since when she'd gone downhill very quickly. My wife was going to take her to the vets to be put down but I didn't feel it was fair to ask her to go alone and I'd be there in a few hours.
I got home every late on the Friday night and the dog was asleep and doped, so my first task on the Saturday was to take my faithful pal to her death. It's still hard to think about it.

Photobucket

ROD CURRIE screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:30 AM
Old 12-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #1554
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE View Post
I got home every late on the Friday night and the dog was asleep and doped, so my first task on the Saturday was to take my faithful pal to her death. It's still hard to think about it.
Ooof, been there, done that. I feel for you.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #1555
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Spares

After a couple of days waiting for the spares to come from Austria, I got a call from Jim's to tell me they'd arrived, so I went and grabbed the bits, hoping I'd got enough to cover whatever the issue is with the bike and talking through the issues with the mechanics there who really know what they're doing. You can send me the money now guys. They'd been following what was happening and even arranged a good discount on the bits I'd bought
I flew back into Barnaul, getting there very early in the morning-before 6 and as I was walking out of the arrivals hall I saw a figure skulking around trying not to be seen. Hassan had got up early to pick me up and take me to the bike. These people are the tops.

We went for breakfast and then on to Viktor's shop. Hassan explained that Viktor had taken a dive off his supermoto and broken his collarbone so wasn't at work, but a colleague of his would open the shop up for me. There's a pic somewhere of Viktor changing tyres just a couple of days later with his figure-of-eight strapping in place. One tough dude.

As the electrical bits were easiest to replace I worked through changing them piecemeal whilst Hassan and a friend watched and helped where they could . No joy-it wouldn't run more than a couple of minutes. I was now down to my last throw of the dice. I'd change the fuel pump.
You need a special wee tool to connect and disconnect the fuel lines on the 690 and I didn't realise that so didn't have one. I got the tank off again and pulled the pump and piping out. The new pump was of slightly different design (one that worked? ...feckin' thing! grr) and comes complete with all the piping etc
Hassan and his pal were watching whilst I was using a small screwdriver to ease the claws back that hold the connections ...like all blokes they were DYING to help and were trying to stuff screwdrivers into the connection so I had to shout NYET! NYET!to them and make them back off.....if this was going to be broken I wanted it to be my responsibility.
I got the connections released and fed the new pump and piping very carefully into the tank, then rebuilt the bike the way I'd done so often.
I poured some fuel into it, switched on and heard the pump motor up and stop as normal...and pressed the button. The engine fired up immediately, ran a few seconds...then stopped. FUCK!........ FUCK!

I pressed the button again and it ran unevenly for a couple of seconds, then settled to a steady but fast idle. It's maybe ok...I nodded to Hassan and his pal who literally started dancing.
Heart in mouth I took it out of the factory as so often before, and ran it up the road...the bike was totally naked...no lights, no seat, no tank, nuthin'. I caned it along the four lane as before, turned round and came back into town past the KTM dealer. I just knew it was sorted.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #1556
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,672
Old 12-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #1557
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
This is great. I can't wait to see what happens next. AWESOME.

Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #1558
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
This is great. I can't wait to see what happens next. AWESOME.

I couldn't agree more, absolutely fantastic read.
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #1559
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

The Altai-lite

I rebuilt the bike and Hassan's pal went off to get some gear I'd left in H's office. It was now about 4 in the afternoon.
Once the bike was back together I geared up and followed him across town to where he was going to leave me and point me to Biysk, the next town of any size on my route. My last view of him was waving out of his car window ad I ran down the ramp onto my road.

This man had saved my trip-absolutely no doubt and I'll always be grateful for his endless generosity and hospitality
I got an Email from him a few weeks later " Rod...where are you?...come back-we are bored in Barnaul without you"
When I was there it was about 30 degrees C every day..today as I look at my 'phone its telling me it is minus 34C today. I hope they're keeping warm.

The guys had been seeing exactly the area I'd so wanted to visit, and now I'd need to ride through it pretty much without stopping as they'd seen it and were waiting for me at Aktash-near the Mong border. I thought I might be able to get there today.

As I'd mentioned earlier I thought I'd be a little tredpidatious leaving the security of Barnaul, but I felt a tremendous sense of liberation on the road alone and just kept grooving along at 70 ish. The bike was running really well and I was starting to have some confidence it might just be OK. About 6 I was absolutely bolloxed and stopped at the roadside, I just threw my coat down and fell on top of it for half an hour's kip. Look at that sky

Photobucket

The country started to change and become (as we Jocks think of everywhere) more Scottish (we invented it you see), with hills and trees, rivers and lakes, and super winding roads. Beautiful.
A long time after Biysk I started to pick up signs for Aktash but I was still a couple of hundred Kilometers away and the light was starting to fade. I'd been awake for 30 hours straight apart from my little kip so pulled over next to a river and set up camp for the night.
I camped just in that little copse of trees behind the bike. I couldn't have been happier.

Photobucket
Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #1560
DyrWolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Im going to take a break and take my Lab to the park.
DyrWolf is offline   Reply With Quote