Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #1411
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks for the answer. Hope the tests prove out for you.

I'm a huge proponent for minimizing the load and anything that saves weight and space I'm a supporter. I've transitioned from a 1/4" T handle driver and socket bits to the Motion Pro (but weld the damn piece like I posted about earlier in the thread) to save some weight/space. In addition to the sockets it has replaced my screwdriver which is nice. The hex bits I prefer L shapped hexes for my carb work.

Two concerns I have with something like this idea Jesusgatos:

A place where these may not be able to replace your wrench set is when you need two wrenches at once ie adjusting a chain.

Second is I would be giving up the box end part of the wrench which is the portion of the wrench used to break loose or torque down bolts. I would be nervous only having the open end of the wrench and nothing else. Any thoughts on this?

Currently utulizing stubby wrenches to save a bit if weight/space but not enough time on them to pass judgement.
All the best
Those are all good points. Personally, I'm only carrying open-end combo wrenches. Anywhere I would need to use a box-end wrench, I would just rather use a socket. Cuts down on the number of wrenches I have to carry by about half, and I haven't ever missed them. As far as needing to use two wrenches at the same time, you'd have at least two 1/4" socket drivers to use, right? # 1: extension & #2: ratchet. The ratchet might be a little bit awkward to use, but think it would work for those rare occasions when you need to use two wrenches at the same time?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #1412
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Those are all good points. Personally, I'm only carrying open-end combo wrenches. Anywhere I would need to use a box-end wrench, I would just rather use a socket. Cuts down on the number of wrenches I have to carry by about half, and I haven't ever missed them. As far as needing to use two wrenches at the same time, you'd have at least two 1/4" socket drivers to use, right? # 1: extension & #2: ratchet. The ratchet might be a little bit awkward to use, but think it would work for those rare occasions when you need to use two wrenches at the same time?
Except for chain adjuster bolts. But that can by solved with a nylock nut.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #1413
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

What about adjusting the chain?
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 AM   #1414
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,141
Here is a micro hex bit ratchet that fits nicely inside the MP tool kit. The overall length is 9 cm (~3.5"):
Titan 11205 Offset Micro Bit Driver with Bits

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Titan-11205-Of.../dp/B004WIWL30

I found one of these at my local Autozone for $10.00 w/bits. A supplemental hex bit set provides a 1/4" drive adapter and metric bits. Supposedly, the ratchet has a "Lifetime" warranty. Sometimes, a ratchet is nice to have.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #1415
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:

Never thought about using open end wrench combo's only, interesting idea and it does cut down on half your wrenches. I would just need to get my head around abandoning the box end side. Not an easy thing for this old dog to give up, haha. Only downside to that is no longer having the ability to double up the wrenches for leverage like in the pictures above. I'll play around with only using open end side of wrenches in the garage and see how I get along.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #1416
caljw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Picked up this driver from Sears today. 7 bucks! Think it will be nice to have the added torque. Packs small too.

2005 DRZ400s
caljw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #1417
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Never thought about using open end wrench combo's only, interesting idea and it does cut down on half your wrenches. I would just need to get my head around abandoning the box end side. Not an easy thing for this old dog to give up, haha. Only downside to that is no longer having the ability to double up the wrenches for leverage like in the pictures above. I'll play around with only using open end side of wrenches in the garage and see how I get along.
Where do you use box-end wrenches that you couldn't get at with a socket? Honest question. And if you need more torque than you can apply with one wrench, it's probably not a job for an open-ended wrench anyway. Again, I would use sockets there. Have applied an amazing amount of torque to that 1/4" Husky driver and haven't managed to break it yet.

Oh, but I just remembered that I actually do still carry a few open/box-end combo wrenches (7/8/10mm). They're the itty-bitty little ones that Craftsman includes in their eleventy-three tool combo kits to up the tool count. They usually come in a little pouch? Weigh hardly anything and use the 7mm as a spoke wrench, and only use the 8 and 10mm wrenches to adjust my chain, which I can't do with a single 8/10 combo open-ended wrench.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #1418
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,776
That's where these come into play and offer a big advantage.

After asking about these a month ago, I added a set to my tool kit. They rock! I try to use my "tool kit" to do maintenance. It keeps me proficient and helps me identify what I need. I used these the other day for major maintenance day and was thoroughly impressed. I didn't find myself reaching for a wrench very often.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1419
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,311
Quote:
Where do you use box-end wrenches that you couldn't get at with a socket? Honest question.
And honest answer. It happens all the time in bike mechanics - lots of fasteners have the 1/2" of clearance to slip a box-end over the fastener, but do not have the 3" or so clearance required for a socket and rachet.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #1420
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Are we talking about general bike mechanics here or working on specific bikes with specific toolkits? This discussion about toolkits and general mechanics is great, but I also think it might be helpful to be a little bit more specific sometimes. I still carry 12/14mm sockets and wrenches, even though I'm riding a KTM, but that's about it. Tend to tailor my toolkit to the bikes I plan on working on, and that's why I was asking. So it would be helpful if you could include that kind of info in your replies. What are you working on and what do you need to carry to make sure you can keep it running? Have found that little 1/4" huskey socket driver will fit just about anywhere. Even works really well for dropping the float bowl if I put a little hex bit in there (would be phillips bit on most bikes). Single 2.5" extension is just long enough that I've been able to access anything/everything I've ever needed to work on.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #1421
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 427
+1

Quote:
Are we talking about general bike mechanics here or working on specific bikes with specific toolkits? This discussion about toolkits and general mechanics is great, but I also think it might be helpful to be a little bit more specific sometimes. I still carry 12/14mm sockets and wrenches, even though I'm riding a KTM, but that's about it. Tend to tailor my toolkit to the bikes I plan on working on, and that's why I was asking. So it would be helpful if you could include that kind of info in your replies. What are you working on and what do you need to carry to make sure you can keep it running? Have found that little 1/4" huskey socket driver will fit just about anywhere. Even works really well for dropping the float bowl if I put a little hex bit in there (would be phillips bit on most bikes). Single 2.5" extension is just long enough that I've been able to access anything/everything I've ever needed to work on.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #1422
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
Where do you use box-end wrenches that you couldn't get at with a socket? Honest question. And if you need more torque than you can apply with one wrench, it's probably not a job for an open-ended wrench anyway. Again, I would use sockets there. Have applied an amazing amount of torque to that 1/4" Husky driver and haven't managed to break it yet.

Oh, but I just remembered that I actually do still carry a few open/box-end combo wrenches (7/8/10mm). They're the itty-bitty little ones that Craftsman includes in their eleventy-three tool combo kits to up the tool count. They usually come in a little pouch? Weigh hardly anything and use the 7mm as a spoke wrench, and only use the 8 and 10mm wrenches to adjust my chain, which I can't do with a single 8/10 combo open-ended wrench.
Jesusgatos - As I posted earlier, I am a huge proponent of whittiling a toolkit down to its minimum packing bulk and weight and go to decent lengths to due it with my own tool kit. So I appreciate any efforts taken to accomplish this goal, such as what you and your brither are doing. Awesome.

You ask "Where do you use box-end wrenches that you couldn't get at with a socket"? I dont have a formal list or anything but a couple would be my radiator shrouds are secured by a nut and bolts and need a wrenh for the bolts, fuel petcock, as mentioned earlier chain adjuster bolts, rear brake adjuster, gear shift lever, and valve cover removal etc. . You get the idea. These are all places I have needed to reach on my rides, not just major bike overhaul stuff in the garage Now out of habit I always use the box end if at all posible as I'm always scared of rounding the bolt and nuts. But thats just me and an open end wrench would have no issues with those. Oh forgot the most obvious bolt I use a wrench on is the oil drain bolt, yes a socket would work but I find I can misalign a socket pretty easy (my fault) as they are at a strange angle..

Regarding additional torque needed as I am getting to grips with stubby wrenches I am using the two wrench method more than with normal wrenches. Kind of hard do without a box end.

Currently bikes I need my tools for are KTM and Yamaha dirt bikes but the tool kit has been used on all makes due to peoples toolkits been lacking or packed too deeply it was quicker to use mine. One of the benefits of the Motion Pro MP tool (once modified) is that it caarries handily in my Camelbak. Jesus maybe my kTM has some different fasteners? On my 06 525 the chain adjuster was 10/13, on my 2011 250 its 10/12 FYI so keep that in mind if getting newer KTM's, also my rear shock bottom bolt is 12.

One of the reasons I never went with the Husky Ratchet wrench is i was worried the 1/4" drive adapter would conistently fall out of the wrench during usage, changing sockets etc.. Could people with this piece chime in with their experiences to this concern? I've never handled one so clueless and have kept my tried and true stuff but always interested in another option if better than what I currently utilize.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #1423
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,776
Quote:
Jesusgatos - As I posted earlier, I am a huge proponent of whittiling a toolkit down to its minimum packing bulk and weight and go to decent lengths to due it with my own tool kit. So I appreciate any efforts taken to accomplish this goal, such as what you and your brither are doing. Awesome.

You ask "Where do you use box-end wrenches that you couldn't get at with a socket"? I dont have a formal list or anything but a couple would be my radiator shrouds are secured by a nut and bolts and need a wrenh for the bolts, fuel petcock, as mentioned earlier chain adjuster bolts, rear brake adjuster, gear shift lever, and valve cover removal etc. . You get the idea. These are all places I have needed to reach on my rides, not just major bike overhaul stuff in the garage Now out of habit I always use the box end if at all posible as I'm always scared of rounding the bolt and nuts. But thats just me and an open end wrench would have no issues with those. Oh forgot the most obvious bolt I use a wrench on is the oil drain bolt, yes a socket would work but I find I can misalign a socket pretty easy (my fault) as they are at a strange angle..

Regarding additional torque needed as I am getting to grips with stubby wrenches I am using the two wrench method more than with normal wrenches. Kind of hard do without a box end.

Currently bikes I need my tools for are KTM and Yamaha dirt bikes but the tool kit has been used on all makes due to peoples toolkits been lacking or packed too deeply it was quicker to use mine. One of the benefits of the Motion Pro MP tool (once modified) is that it caarries handily in my Camelbak. Jesus maybe my kTM has some different fasteners? On my 06 525 the chain adjuster was 10/13, on my 2011 250 its 10/12 FYI so keep that in mind if getting newer KTM's, also my rear shock bottom bolt is 12.

One of the reasons I never went with the Husky Ratchet wrench is i was worried the 1/4" drive adapter would conistently fall out of the wrench during usage, changing sockets etc.. Could people with this piece chime in with their experiences to this concern? I've never handled one so clueless and have kept my tried and true stuff but always interested in another option if better than what I currently utilize.
I haven't used the 1/4 adapter. I'll play with it today and report back.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #1424
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
These aren't going to be cheep and I think they are 3/8, but if you really want to go minimalistic ...

http://www.beta-tools.com/catalog/ar...eta/__filters_
Yes! Just a smaller version of those...
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #1425
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Have been using one for about four years now (purchased after reading about it in this thread) and it's still in perfect working order. Use my 'trail' tools to work on my bike, pretty much exclusively, so quite a bit of use. Little thing is deceptively strong. No idea how much torque it can actually hold, but have had to put a rag around the handle before on occasion when I would be cranking on a something so hard the handle (thin blade) would start to hurt my fingers. Can even remember slipping a cheater bar over it once or twice, and would guess that I've put more than 125ft/lbs into it!