Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #16
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsquatch View Post
Besides having a good attitude the biggest thing going for him was his age. No one wants to write grandpa a ticket.
must be the fact that I have great grandchildren that has been a halo around my helmet

I've received warnings a half dozen times for speeds in excess of a ton, and none of them were on the highway, all in 30-40mph zones

one time it went like this (on a group ride 5 other riders all on liter bikes I was on a nekid SV650, we had pulled into a small parking lot and were taking our helmets off to discuss our route when a leo pulled in behind us )

"Alright boys, I know your dressed for it, but this is not a race track, I had you going 85 in a 30 when you went out of my radar range and I know you were going a hell of a lot faster than that"(My speedo on the SV was clearing 115 and the liter bikes war ½mile + ahead of me prolly closer to 150 maybe faster than that) then pointing his finger at me " YOU, twice in one week, ya gotta slow down" I had received a warning for 55 (managed to slow from 80± when my radar detector sounded) in the same 30mph zone form the same leo just 3 days earlier
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #17
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,312
:Afew weeks ago i was going camping,had all my gear on my bike,got pulled over for doing 51 in a 35 zone(little town in the country)a PA state trooper pulled me over ,took all my info ,came back told me i wasn't riding erratically,had on all the gear and was polite,he let me go for speeding and wrote me up for FAILURE TO OBEY TRAFFIC CONTROL DEVICES($81.00) he told me 3 or 4 times everything was being recorded and he was only doing his job,cool cop and i was wrong,it was my fault,i wasn't paying attention.
I couldn't out run him as i was on a KLR
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
must be the fact that I have great grandchildren that has been a halo around my helmet

I've received warnings a half dozen times for speeds in excess of a ton, and none of them were on the highway, all in 30-40mph zones

one time it went like this (on a group ride 5 other riders all on liter bikes I was on a nekid SV650, we had pulled into a small parking lot and were taking our helmets off to discuss our route when a leo pulled in behind us )

"Alright boys, I know your dressed for it, but this is not a race track, I had you going 85 in a 30 when you went out of my radar range and I know you were going a hell of a lot faster than that"(My speedo on the SV was clearing 115 and the liter bikes war ½mile + ahead of me prolly closer to 150 maybe faster than that) then pointing his finger at me " YOU, twice in one week, ya gotta slow down" I had received a warning for 55 (managed to slow from 80± when my radar detector sounded) in the same 30mph zone form the same leo just 3 days earlier
100+in a 30 isn't something i'd be braggin about. it tells me loud and clear you're an idiot and an asshole. and when you get creamed i hope you live so that the innocent driver that made that left turn in front of you doesn't have to live with the guilt of your death. that exact scene happened in fargo a couple years ago. squid doing 100 plus in a 30 16 year old girl pulls out and he gets killed. messed her up.

farmerstu screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 06:29 AM Reason: spelling
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
TortillaJesus
Authentic

Oddometer: 3,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
100+in a 30 isn't something i'd be braggin about. it tells me loud and clear you're an idiot and an asshole. and when you get creamed i hope you live so that the innocent driver that made that left turn in front of you doesn't have to live with the guilt of your death. that exact scene happened in fargo a couple years ago. squid doing 100 plus in a 30 16 year old girl pulls out and he gets killed. messed her up.
I believe 100+ would be a felony in some states.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #20
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,349
Quote:

The fact that A) you have done this; and B) you have no problem bragging about it to the world, boggles my mind. Not only would I not let you off for that, if I knew it happened on multiple occasions, you and your bike would be getting a free ride.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #21
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
20 years ago but, here are the factors I used:

1. Speed compared to the flow
2. Attitude.
3. Working traffic or on a patrol beat.
4. Working a specific location everyone gets treated the same. No one talks themselves into or out of a cite.
5. 25 zone in a residential area, everyone better than 37 gets a citation. Minimum of 1.5 times the stopping distance in a bona fide zone where kids, animals and stupid people can ride, run out or just "magically appear" in the middle of a street.
6. Red light violations
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #22
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
16 year old girl pulls out and he gets killed. messed her up.
pulls out of where ?

you make ASSumptions that what were doing was actually unsafe, that we didn't have visibility and road conditions

you don't know what day of week or time of day or a clue as to traffic

its obvious that the leo knew we were posing no danger to anyone but ourselves, he didn't even bother trying to pull us over, we happened to stop and he saw us as he was heading to his destination.

the point I was trying to make because this is not a unique warning for myself

ya really think if we were acting like squids racing each other wheeling and such we woulda got warnings

I find that LEOs are very lenient to motorcyclists that are simply going fast and not doing anything else wrong, maybe it helps if your older than the leo that stopped you
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #23
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by TortillaJesus View Post
I believe 100+ would be a felony in some states.
Thankfully not in yours.

I was pulled over in Montana for 120mph and 130mph Both times were to thank me for being "reasonable and prudent" as I had slowed way down when I passed other road users then sped back up once past them. Both times they told me to not speed after dark due to the increased risk of an animal strike.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 09:26 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
in the uk doing 100mph plus will end up with you getting a ban and in some casees jail for a couple of weeks
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,637
Quote:
maybe it helps if your older than the leo that stopped you
No it really doesn't.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #26
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
in the uk doing 100mph plus will end up with you getting a ban and in some casees jail for a couple of weeks
Reason # 579 why I'm glad we had an armed rebellion from those fascists. I also enjoy owning guns, hunting, keeping more of my income, carrying a pocket knife, and not being watched by a creepy orwellian security system.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #27
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Reason # 579 why I'm glad we had an armed rebellion from those fascists. I also enjoy owning guns, hunting, keeping more of my income, carrying a pocket knife, and not being watched by a creepy orwellian security system.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (233,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #28
390beretta OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
I was once stopped for doing 40-45 in a 25mph residential zone. In my defense, the road I was on, Thunderbird in Phx is 45 everywhere but a two block stretch which is designated residential, hence the 25 and I just flat missed the sign; had never been on that stretch before.

The officer was very polite after he got me pulled over. Said he blipped his siren at me when he was a block behind me...I didn't hear it. Then he pulled about a car length behind me and did it again; that I heard! Startled the shit out of me. I was wearing foam ear plugs. I pulled over immediately of course, turned the bike off, raised the front of my modular helmet and when he came up to me and started talking, I motioned that I couldn't hear him and asked if I could get off the bike and he said "Yes of course". I then removed my helmet and removed ear plugs. He explained the speed he'd clocked me at and the fact that I was 15-20 over the posted limit. I explained that I'd missed the sign and was riding (what I thought) was the posted limit. He suggested I not wear ear plugs in town because it's important to hear sirens, etc. I thanked him. He never even asked to see my license. I was geared up, respectful and not riding recklessly, so he let me skate!
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #29
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
I don't generally speed much, although I have friends that cruise about 100mph on their boxers when out west going coast/coast. I guess a lot of people do if their vehicle will cruise at 100. I generally cruise about 80 out there, which is 5 over. Back here about 72, which is 7 over. Never a problem...

I've been snagged twice now for standing on the pegs. The first time was in Cave Creek AZ last September, and the second was in some Maine berg last month. Both LEO's let me off, but gave me a good lecture... How the hell is a fellow to stretch and ease some butt burn after a few hours in the saddle?

WTF, I ride dual sport bikes. What's the big deal over standing on the pegs?
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
Gimpinator
Slightly Annoyed

Oddometer: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400 View Post

If you're speeding and pass a cop, you're not paying attention, which is a bad way to drive/ride.

This! I've found that the CHP cut me a lot of slack if I show situational awareness. Check your six and be patient / considerate in traffic. I've gotten a few passes I didn't deserve. ATGATT and a 12GS seem to help the cause too.