Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
I plan on doing the full TAT some time late May to July. Interesting thread, it'll be interesting which direction it goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to track down some others interested in going as a group.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
stefer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Forgot to subscribe to the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ancient Proverb
Anxiety weighs down the heart, but a kind word cheers it up.
stefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefer View Post
I plan on doing the full TAT some time late May to July. Interesting thread, it'll be interesting which direction it goes.

Hopefully I'll be able to track down some others interested in going as a group.
I'll be out there starting in New Mexico in late May/early June.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,182
man..now I really want to go along with you.. Ill just follow along and take advantage of all your hard work
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Our group left TN in June and hit the high passes mid July. They were just barely open. Be prepared for deep water in places too due to Spring run-off. May-July is pretty early, and go-arounds will be needed, especially up high. At least June is still in the dry season out west, other than for snow melt.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #21
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
We may have met in May at the Berkshires ride...meters:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=692098 Wired to signal from R Brake lets me see the battery volts when bike's off, when running, shows how alternator's doing. Offered by Sanjoh, another inmate emoto has similar you can search for/PM either.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=793723 was the voltmeter I bought from inmate herrhelmet, been working fine & I didn't trust the $5 HF.

Add a plastic straw, how to avoid shorting when testing volts.

Wish I could go with you; have a blast!!! Thanks for posting a great 'how to' ride prep!

Have you seen http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537 Dualsportmaps.com?
I didn't make that ride,but I bet you met Mike & Ernie from R.I.
Thanks for those likes I'll be sure to check them out.
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
man..now I really want to go along with you.. Ill just follow along and take advantage of all your hard work
Hey Matt, no worries I'll be sure to look you up when I arrive in your new home state of Colorado.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

I still have 2 more areas I wanted to show: clothing/riding gear,and camping gear; and the bike set up. Both up close in personal. Stay tuned
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Here's some pics of tank bag items. I plan to carry spot inside tanks bag-that's just me. My camera,and snacky food. Can't really fit much else. My tank bag is electrified(will show in more detail with bike stuff)
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG][IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Gloves,micro fiber cloth for googles,patch kit for saddle bags, registration,whistle,rain cover-all in to zip pocket of lid

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:10 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Change was a huge PITA! When I got back to the truck, I think I had some $24,372.49 in change.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #26
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

O'k next installment: clothes and riding gear. This is basically the clothes that I will take for the tat. I try only to carry synthetic clothes that I can wash on the road and dry pretty quickly. I will try to wear the long sleeve gray shirt(very thin & light)daily because it is SPF50. Over that my compression jacket. If it cools down but is not cold the blue klim shirt works well over the compression suit. If it's cold then I wear the smart wool zip -T neck as a base. Traverse jacket as need(it's gore tex),and heated jacket as needed. The short sleeve is for at end of day,as well as boxers,zip off pants short runners socks(not pictured) and sneakers. The black mtn. hardware lightly insulated jacket is one of the most versatile piece of clothing that I carry:)

Photobucket

Klim padded shorts for every day. Blue/exofficio wicking boxers for at camp or the day my Klims are still drying after being washed. The others are LD Comfort shorts. Think I may leave them at home Photobucket just carry the other 2.

I've tried many riding socks and Smart Wool socks (PHD ski socks) are by far the best socks I've ever used. There are Klim G-Tex socks for those rainy days,the black socks are ultra light smart wool which I will carry 1 pair of , and one pair of the mid weight(pic shows 2 mid wt. socks), I will also carry a pair of Gerbings new battery powered heated socks(no pic). I'll be camping out there in Sept. & I know there will be quite a few very cold mornings

Photobucket

One thin long sleeve wicking T shirt-ArcTerex,50 SPF proof
Photobucket
One short sleeve mountain hardware wicking T

Photobucket
Smart wool mid weight zip turtle neck top & mid wt. bottoms

Photobucket
Photobucket

sidi crossfire
Photobucket

Klim Traverse

Photobucket

Mtn. Hardware insulated jacket-absolutely fantastic
Photobucket

hat fits so ears are covered nicely and doubles as my camera case, and face mask doubles either a neck gator or face mask when really cold

Photobucket

will carry clear glasses (don't like my visor down unless absolutely necessary),and 2 spare lensesPhotobucket

dirt bike gloves,gortex rain/summer/fall gloves,heated gloves
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Zip off pants,also no in pics:bathing suit,very compressible light sneakers,sandals to also use in showers or checking out deep water crossings
Photobucket

I should say that I've used lot's of different gear over the years from mountaineering,and I've always tried to find clothes that could be used in many different types of temps & conditions. That concept works well with riding-especially off road riding. I took pictures of these because the name brands I've settled on really work. There are other great name brands,but I'm sharing what's worked well for me after much trial and error.You get what you pay for. I know you can do it in cotton and a plastic rain suit,but I'm into being happy and comfortable-and if you are than take your time,research clothing,and buy the best you can afford-you won't regret it.

leftystrat62 screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 06:29 PM
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #27
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
I am planning to do parts of the TAT on my way to alaska. Im not really sure how much of it, but I definitely want to spend a lot of time on dirt roads instead of pavement.

Thanks for showing your preps for this trip- it helps to see "oh.. maybe I should bring that" type of stuff so im not unprepared. Have you had any luck with putting points of interest into your Montana from basecamp? I know one can do waypoints, but I wouldnt mind having extra gas stations listed just in case. I guess I can always do a "Where to?" if I need gas somewhere.

Thanks again for your thread- it will be shamelessly pillaged
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #28
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

When I want to note a camping area,gas,motel,etc.,I drop the way point then change the "flag" to what ever symbol I need,and put the description in. If the camping is a ways off from the track, I might put the camping symbol next to the track so I'll see it as I approach. Then I just add into the description something like "Lft on Hwy 79-Jenny Lake,Camping". That's one of the main reasons why I carry the atlas'. They show camping all over.
I'm guessing I'll average 200 mi per day. If I use that as a guide I can roughly figure out when I'll finish the trip,but I know some days it could be more or less. By having camping/hotels peppered along my route it allows me to find a place to sleep no matter when I'm looking for it. I've even found where the Dick's Sporting Goods & REI stores are in case I need more freeze dried food.
Your trip sounds exciting. Have you read this RR:BigDog/Dingweed: Winging It To Alaska , or
What you're Missing: a Guide to Side Trips off the Cassiar

These two were very inspiring to me-certainly the way I'd love to see Alaska.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #29
leftystrat62 OP
Adventurer

Electronics

My electronics consist of an i touch i pod-hold about 3k songs, I use Arizona Al's (480) 668-0683 ear bud set up(double as hearing protection). I read about his set up a few years ago on this site-love it!! No wires ,sound is fed through hollow tubes from a little amplifier-sounds great,and have been using them almost daily for a couple of years-no issues I just added a Schoche to my ipod so I can adjust everything with a remote-MUCH better. Regular iphone,Montana GPS-like it a lot,but a bit of a leaning curve,[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Photobucket

My tank bag is electrified from my battery, but I have a fuze block behind my fairing where everything else is wired to.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

I use a double cigaret lighter socket to connect my things to charge.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Fully Loaded?

Great reading. Is there any pics of your bike fully loaded with your bags?
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote