Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #3121
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribmtrider View Post
I am ready to buy a new '11 fe390, my only reservation being that the closet dealer is 5 hrs away, and having a FI issue. Can I troubleshoot/reset the FI system w/o a scan tool? How about changing fuel mapping? Other than these unknowns with the FI I am ready to pick one up!
Tim
If it is a new bike from a Husa dealer, they should unlock the ecu for you before it leaves their hands. If it is used, and still locked, you can send it to a dealer for unlock and remap. I've read people have done that for $50.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #3122
ribmtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
If it is a new bike from a Husa dealer, they should unlock the ecu for you before it leaves their hands. If it is used, and still locked, you can send it to a dealer for unlock and remap. I've read people have done that for $50.
Thanks, what is "locked" on the ecu? They are going to remap it for me, I think "competition" mapping-does that sound right? It's a new bike.
ribmtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #3123
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,176
There is nothing locked on the husaberg ecu's... they just come with a stock map that can be changed by the dealer. Mine was changed to the "race" map by the dealer for free, but I have heard of folks being charged as much as $100 bucks for it. The new KTM street legal 500 and 350 are truly "locked" and reportedly the dealer cant even unlock them.. a condition imposed by CARB.

If it is a new bike make sure they pull the fuel pump and ensure it has the new pump... brown topped...or green?

And that they have done the recall work on the fuel filters and the triple trees.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #3124
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
There is nothing locked on the husaberg ecu's... they just come with a stock map that can be changed by the dealer. Mine was changed to the "race" map by the dealer for free, but I have heard of folks being charged as much as $100 bucks for it. The new KTM street legal 500 and 350 are truly "locked" and reportedly the dealer cant even unlock them.. a condition imposed by CARB.

If it is a new bike make sure they pull the fuel pump and ensure it has the new pump... brown topped...or green?

And that they have done the recall work on the fuel filters and the triple trees.

KTM dealers now have the tools to unlock the EXC CPUs and reload with the unrestricted "Euro" map. Just had it done. But since the FE390 was not sold as a street legal bike here in the US, doesn't it already have the best map in it?

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #3125
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:

What is wrong with the triple clamps? I was aware of the fuel filter recall but after the B.S. I went thru with my dealer charging me labor after checking out a brand new bike with power loss problems I am very hesitant to ever take it back to them. The owner eventually dropped the charges and I still ride there but I refuse to ever buy a part from them and their company stickers have been removed from my bike. They aren't getting free advertising from me!

Hope it isn't a major issue cause I would hate to have to find another dealer to do the recall work.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #3126
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
What is wrong with the triple clamps? I was aware of the fuel filter recall but after the B.S. I went thru with my dealer charging me labor after checking out a brand new bike with power loss problems I am very hesitant to ever take it back to them. The owner eventually dropped the charges and I still ride there but I refuse to ever buy a part from them and their company stickers have been removed from my bike. They aren't getting free advertising from me!

Hope it isn't a major issue cause I would hate to have to find another dealer to do the recall work.

sorry not triple clamps.. it was the bar clamps.. there was a recall for my 2011 570FE .. have to make sure your clamps had a single dot.. Like a center punch mark.. Mine was already done before I bought it... they called me up and asked me to check for the markings because they didnt have it in their records if they had done it before I picked it up.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 AM   #3127
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
sorry not triple clamps.. it was the bar clamps.. there was a recall for my 2011 570FE .. have to make sure your clamps had a single dot.. Like a center punch mark.. Mine was already done before I bought it... they called me up and asked me to check for the markings because they didnt have it in their records if they had done it before I picked it up.
Oh ok. Just checking. I replaced mine immediately with some risers and a top clamp from HDB to get the bars up high.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #3128
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:

What my dealer told me, and also what I've read is, before any other map can be loaded in, the ecu has to be unlocked (plugged into Husaberg tool, phoned back to HQ, unlocked). Once unlocked, any map can be loaded, and never needs to be unlocked again.

Even though the tool is same as KTM, I don't think any KTM dealer can do it since they won't have a Husaberg account for the phone home. A lot of Husa dealers are also KTM, so that won't be that much of a problem.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #3129
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rensho View Post
What my dealer told me, and also what I've read is, before any other map can be loaded in, the ecu has to be unlocked (plugged into Husaberg tool, phoned back to HQ, unlocked). Once unlocked, any map can be loaded, and never needs to be unlocked again.

Even though the tool is same as KTM, I don't think any KTM dealer can do it since they won't have a Husaberg account for the phone home. A lot of Husa dealers are also KTM, so that won't be that much of a problem.
Interesting.. that is the exact opposite of what my dealer told me...he is a KTM an Husa dealer up in MA. Didnt charge me for the change in maps because he said it was so simple.. plug in the computer.. change the map. Very specifically told me that it was easier than KTM, and that the new KTM's couldnt be unlocked.. but as seen above, that part seems to have changed in the 10 months since he told me that.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #3130
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Interesting.. that is the exact opposite of what my dealer told me...he is a KTM an Husa dealer up in MA. Didnt charge me for the change in maps because he said it was so simple.. plug in the computer.. change the map. Very specifically told me that it was easier than KTM, and that the new KTM's couldnt be unlocked.. but as seen above, that part seems to have changed in the 10 months since he told me that.

They can all be unlocked. It may take a little while to figure out but they can all be unlocked. Unless the box is designed to self destruct when tampered with.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #3131
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,692
anyone install heated handgrips on a Husa? How'd you wire them up?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #3132
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Lost showed how he wired some up either on this thread or the 70 degree Adventure thread that he started. I have a set I have been procrastinating on installing. Probably due it this week. I will take pics of the way NOT to do it! Lol.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #3133
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
It has been a while, so I don't remember all of the details, but here are a few thoughts to consider...

I have a 2010 FE450, so these comments apply to that bike.

There was an unused connector down below the battery. This is for auxiliary power. If you look closely at this photo, you can see two connectors to the right of the disconnected fuel sensor cable. The one on the right has a blue and a brown wire coming out. Those are my power wires going up to the headlight area. The wiring harness in this area is really tight, so you have to be careful so wires don't get pinched. I later wrapped these wires with an old tire tube.

Here is the grip heater kit I bought. I actually installed a set on all of my kid's bikes as well. The wires are really weak. Almost every one broke on our first ride. I replaced them with some automotive grade wires. I have had some switches fail as well. At first I tried the mini-toggle switch from Radio Shack, but it couldn't handle the vibration and failed. I also added an LED so I can tell when the heaters are on.

I later learned of a different brand heater kit that has a beefier left heater to compensate for it being directly on the handlebar, which sucks the heat out.

I installed a piece of heat shrink (from Home Depot) on the left grip to provide some insulation. That worked well, and it makes the bar a little larger which is nice for long fingers. But I had to use a throttle side grip to fit over it, which meant I had to buy two sets of grips.

Here is a photo of the grips installed, with the wires hanging loose. It also shows my first attempt at a switch/LED/key panel which I later replaced.

Then carefully route the wires to the headlight area and cable tie them off. Be sure the throttle side has plenty of clearance for full throttle control without the wire snagging on anything. I cable tied it to the grip for added security.

Then just hook it up as explained in the instructions and cram the extra wires in behind the headlight.
FamilyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #3134
FamilyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
MT43 trials tire fit

I am new to this forum, but not to Husaberg or other forums (DeeG on some other sites).

I have been using Dunlop D606 on my 2010 FE450, but it is time to replace them. I have a new Pirelli MT43 rear ready to mount along with a Tubliss set. I have read posts about the fit being tight and sometimes wearing a hole in the mud guard. It seems that some people have issues, while others do not. It also seems that the chain length may be different for different model years.

I really like the stock gearing (13/52 I think), but I haven't really tried anything else. Going to the larger MT43 will gear it up slightly.

I think the 2010 stock chain is 118 rolls. I have read posts of people solving the mud guard rubbing problem by going to a longer chain, but no one specifies the size. What size chain will solve the rubbing problem but not be too long to get the proper slack in the chain?

What type of chain is stock? I haven't yet sorted this all out - I have never had to mess with chains before. I would appreciate it if someone can give me a chain part number to buy.

Thanks,
FamilyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3135
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,692
Ok, my 2011 390 has an open connector around the battery as well, but brown and white wires. They're used to power the rear turn signals. I bought a KTM wiring harness to make my own streetlegal kit. So it's not really "unused". Maybe I can piggyback on it to close a relay for the grip power. I did that on a couple of different bikes.
UngaWunga is offline   Reply With Quote