Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #26581
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
from an inmate's FB posting:
It also reflects my feelings that we have become a nation of mean. Bullying, refusing to compromise, anything goes, incredibly violent. The issue isn't the guns themselves, it's us. When will this sort of behavior become unacceptable? When it does, we will have real progress toward murder.

While they're discussing the shootings in MA, it could very well be changed slightly to say cars, MCs, trucks, etc vs cyclists ...and people wonder why 'we' get upset with car drivers' attitudes? We're on the receiving end of all that hate. REGARDLESS of whether we're riding 'in the right' or not, we get it 'cause 'we're in the way.'

I realize its hard, but stop and *think* about your actions. Are you following the Golden Rule? (do unto others as you would have them do unto you, in case you've forgotten)

M
You mean CT.

Gummee, there's a lot of people going around who are going to make political hay out a terrible, senseless tragedy. Tombstones make really lousy soapboxes. Please, please don't be that person; especially over the relatively minor issue of riding a bicycle. I'd buy you a beer any day of the week, but posting this is one of the worst things you could have possibly done. Don't be That Guy. If nothing else, for practical reasons - this is a very polarizing occurrence, and it will drive people away rather than lure them in. Please. Out of respect for the slain, post a retraction and an apology. Here & in the bicycle riders thread.

FWIW, I'm very pro 2nd-amendment, and I will never, ever use the blood of innocents as a symbol to further my point of view. If I have to do that, then I have already lost the argument.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #26582
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Follow up on my rack initiative....

Not sure what this rack is supposed to be for, but found it at Lowes for under $10. Rack is mounted very securely right into stud of wall. I bought some screw in ( ceiling joists) J hooks for wheels, but made some room under the work table for them, and put them there instead.

I do have a slight concern about the lines for the rear brake and derailer. Thoughts??
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #26583
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Not sure what this rack is supposed to be for, but found it at Lowes for under $10. Rack is mounted very securely right into stud of wall. I bought some screw in ( ceiling joists) J hooks for wheels, but made some room under the work table for them, and put them there instead.

I do have a slight concern about the lines for the rear brake and derailer. Thoughts??
It's a hook for hanging up rakes and shovels and such. Other than maybe causing them to mark up your frame a bit, it shouldn't hurt your cables.

I got back from Crapchester Friday only to be greeted by a steady rain/snow mix all weekend. In lieu of riding, I caught up on some maintenance. New bottle cages on the CX bike and cleaned up the MTB's drivetrain after dipping it in shit a couple weekends ago. The rear wheel bearings have gotten a bit rough. Oh joy.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #26584
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
OK, thanks for the input Ned.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #26585
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
As long as the bike isn't swinging back and forth, you shouldn't have any problems with the cables. What problems you're going to have are scratches in the paint from the pressure/friction when you're hanging the bike that way.

I've got 4 of 5 of my bikes hung the same way. I just don't particularly worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisenhallw
Gummee, there's a lot of people going around who are going to make political hay out a terrible, senseless tragedy. Tombstones make really lousy soapboxes. Please, please don't be that person; especially over the relatively minor issue of riding a bicycle. I'd buy you a beer any day of the week, but posting this is one of the worst things you could have possibly done. Don't be That Guy. If nothing else, for practical reasons - this is a very polarizing occurrence, and it will drive people away rather than lure them in. Please. Out of respect for the slain, post a retraction and an apology. Here & in the bicycle riders thread.
Its an important soap box. ...and no.

Its MY life. ...its YOUR life. ...its ALL our lives affected by the undercurrent of 'me first!' of 'GTFO of my way and if you don't I'm gonna inflict my X ton vehicle on you to MAKE you do what I want!' of 'I don't particularly care if you live or die, I'M going to be late to little johnny's choir practice 'cause I stopped for my $5 lattemochaccino.'

Its not doing anything but getting worse. More people driving. More people being 'trained' by video games that all ya gotta do when someone gets hurt is hit the reset button. More people willing to use their vehicles as weapons to get their way and/or intimidate you often enough that some folks just plain give up. I can't tell you in specific #s how many people ride mtn bikes exclusively cause they got scared off the roads. I have a higher BS tolerance (or lower IQ) than some of em so I just deal with it.

I can't stand up for myself vs a 2-5 ton vehicle. I lose. Every. Single. Time. So I/you/we suck it up and keep on going.

Who's gonna stand up and say 'enough already!' ?? Here, that seems to be me. I'm just stupid enough to keep trying. Tenacious enough to try and hammer some sense into some of the mouth breathing idiots in the other thread. Smart enough to try and frame my questions in a manner that makes a few of em think.

I'm hoping that its sorta working, but realistic enough to realize I'm mostly

M

edited to add: road rage results in attempted murder charge

edited to add: Inaki Lejarreta killed by a car

Gummee! screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 08:43 PM
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #26586
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,372
You missed the point. I get the bikes vs. cagers, restrain the road rage type thing. You don't have to explain that to me.

What I'm trying to convey is that tying this issue to the CT massacre is going to do more harm than good.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #26587
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
I'm just stupid enough to keep trying. Tenacious enough to try and hammer some sense into some of the mouth breathing idiots in the other thread. Smart enough to try and frame my questions in a manner that makes a few of em think.

I'm hoping that its sorta working, but realistic enough to realize I'm mostly

M
Chisenhallw is right on the money. We don't need this crap in this thread. Trying to convince people that you riding your bicycle on a public road is analogous to 5 year olds being gunned down in their school is asinine. If you want to try to make that point, keep it on fucking FB, the bicycle thread is not your blog.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #26588
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Chisenhallw is right on the money. We don't need this crap in this thread. Trying to convince people that you riding your bicycle on a public road is analogous to 5 year olds being gunned down in their school is asinine. If you want to try to make that point, keep it on fucking FB, the bicycle thread is not your blog.
That's ridiculous.

The analogy is spot on. "You can have my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands" is analogous to "bicycles don't belong on the road." In both cases the speaker has a selfish interest first and a fuck the rest of society mentality second.

Probably not the thread to discuss it in, on that we can find mutual ground, but to completely dismiss the parallel is foolish in my opinion. We are all bikers here, moto or otherwise. Well mostly. The things that affect us as cyclists do translate to other venues, though perhaps not as directly. I believe that Gummee is speaking to the greater collective conscience of society to stop being so intellectually immature and to grow up and be accountable to their fellow citizens. In the same way that this thread is not his thread/ blog, the rest of society is not solely the residence of gun owners/ selfish suv drivers. We all live here.

Which begs the question; what's happened to that Ford Explorer driving nincomtwat in Colorado who was harassing the cyclists? I know he got arrested and charged, but was he prosecuted?
Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #26589
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
This weekend my riding buddy Dave and I decided to explore a couple of trails at the other end of Santos that we'd never been on. These trails come highly recommended, so expectations were high. Both turned out to be very technical trails with lots of steep little climbs and descents, and obstacles of various kinds everywhere. I thought at first that trying to keep up with Dave would be impossible on a trail like that, given the enormous difference in our level of training, so it came as quite a surprise to me that I managed to stay on his rear wheel while maintaining what he later referred to as a 'good pace', which is Davespeak for 'as fast as I dare to go'. Flying through blind turns on an unfamiliar trail practically guarantees an unintended dismount, however, and halfway through the first trail, Dave got his pedals caught between two sharp boulders which appeared without warning. Fortunately a minor cut in his knee was the only result. Inspired by his example, I bumped my handlebar against on a tree while threading a narrow passage, which sent me off the trail and into a mound of leaves and pine needles. It was like falling on a mattress. If you're going to crash, this is the way to do it. The second trail proved to be just as challenging, but very rocky and therefore more dangerous to both bikes and riders. We passed one rider walking his bike back after having smashed his rear derailleur on a rock. Fortunately we suffered only one minor fall each before completing this trail. On the way back, Dave suggested we take the express route, which consists of a fairly wide trail composed of rough limestone. He didn't think he had the energy to try for another 12 miles on the kinds of trails we'd been on. That surprised me because I felt fully up to the task, and until recently it was always me who tired out first. About halfway through the return ride, I got bored and began to increase my speed, eventually leveling off at between 18 and 19 mph. Dave kept up with me, but was exhausted by the time we arrived back at the trail entrance, and insisted we rest a while. He has a VERY competitive personality, and for him to say that he needs a rest means he's about to drop dead. It was another 500 yards or so to get back to the parking lot, where we sat around a while talking and gulping down energy drinks before the drive home. All the while we were being watched by a coral snake only yards away, which a hiker pointed out to us. Contrary to expectations, my legs felt pretty good the next day, but I decided to give them a rest and not to ride the bike on Sunday. The Saturday ride was only the second time I've managed to keep up with and actually outpace Dave on any trail, so apparently both my skilz and general conditioning have improved greatly since we began riding together seven months ago. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #26590
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This weekend my riding buddy Dave and I decided to explore a couple of trails at the other end of Santos that we'd never been on. These trails come highly recommended, so expectations were high. Both turned out to be very technical trails with lots of steep little climbs and descents, and obstacles of various kinds everywhere. I thought at first that trying to keep up with Dave would be impossible on a trail like that, given the enormous difference in our level of training, so it came as quite a surprise to me that I managed to stay on his rear wheel while maintaining what he later referred to as a 'good pace', which is Davespeak for 'as fast as I dare to go'. Flying through blind turns on an unfamiliar trail practically guarantees an unintended dismount, however, and halfway through the first trail, Dave got his pedals caught between two sharp boulders which appeared without warning. Fortunately a minor cut in his knee was the only result. Inspired by his example, I bumped my handlebar against on a tree while threading a narrow passage, which sent me off the trail and into a mound of leaves and pine needles. It was like falling on a mattress. If you're going to crash, this is the way to do it. The second trail proved to be just as challenging, but very rocky and therefore more dangerous to both bikes and riders. We passed one rider walking his bike back after having smashed his rear derailleur on a rock. Fortunately we suffered only one minor fall each before completing this trail. On the way back, Dave suggested we take the express route, which consists of a fairly wide trail composed of rough limestone. He didn't think he had the energy to try for another 12 miles on the kinds of trails we'd been on. That surprised me because I felt fully up to the task, and until recently it was always me who tired out first. About halfway through the return ride, I got bored and began to increase my speed, eventually leveling off at between 18 and 19 mph. Dave kept up with me, but was exhausted by the time we arrived back at the trail entrance, and insisted we rest a while. He has a VERY competitive personality, and for him to say that he needs a rest means he's about to drop dead. It was another 500 yards or so to get back to the parking lot, where we sat around a while talking and gulping down energy drinks before the drive home. All the while we were being watched by a coral snake only yards away, which a hiker pointed out to us. Contrary to expectations, my legs felt pretty good the next day, but I decided to give them a rest and not to ride the bike on Sunday. The Saturday ride was only the second time I've managed to keep up with and actually outpace Dave on any trail, so apparently both my skilz and general conditioning have improved greatly since we began riding together seven months ago. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.
Which trails were those?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #26591
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Wicked Wash is awesome stuff.

They were at the race yesterday. Spray the bike with this stuff and the mud just melted off when sprayed with water. No scrubbing and the bike is darn near spotless.

Now all I gotta do is re-lube the chain, swap chainrings out for the road size, and stick some skinny tires on the FTB and I'm good to go for the spring/summer.

M
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #26592
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As long as the bike isn't swinging back and forth, you shouldn't have any problems with the cables. What problems you're going to have are scratches in the paint from the pressure/friction when you're hanging the bike that way.

I've got 4 of 5 of my bikes hung the same way. I just don't particularly worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
It's a hook for hanging up rakes and shovels and such. Other than maybe causing them to mark up your frame a bit, it shouldn't hurt your cables.
That hook dealio is rubber coated. And, I've seen it listed for hanging bicycles.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #26593
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Which trails were those?
Nayls and Ern 'N Burn, way over on the West side:

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA_Bike_Trails_Map_Jan_2012.gif
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 07:49 AM
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #26594
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That hook dealio is rubber coated. And, I've seen it listed for hanging bicycles.
the hook is but the frame's not

M
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #26595
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Nayls and Ern 'N Burn, way over on the West side.
We rode those.

We parked at the convenience store, on HWY200, and rode east from there, all the way to Santos TH and back. It was quite the day. We rode a few miles east of Santos TH, on another day, and would like to ride further east. That's such a great network of trails that one can just ride and not be killing themselves.

Also, I carry a spare derailluer hanger and derailluer. Both our bikes take the same hanger and are both SRAM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: