ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #55126
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by sion View Post
hey mike, think you could finish the course at Erzberg? not in a race mode, but just complete the damned thing.
The Rodeo start would doom about 99% of us.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #55127
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The Rodeo start would doom about 99% of us.
which is why I said "not in race mode"

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #55128
Solace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
It had 7 finishers out of 500 starters. I probably wouldn't have made it up the first incline.

PS - Thanks for the link, sion, that was an interesting video.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM   #55129
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It had 7 finishers out of 500 starters. I probably wouldn't have made it up the first incline.

PS - Thanks for the link, sion, that was an interesting video.
given 20 chances at that first hill, I might have maybe made it once...i figure thats about the same for most of us...'cept for Gorman and Braden (both of whom I've had the privilege of seeing ride)

the thing to remember about that 7 out of 500 stat is that this is under race conditions, which means riders are going balls out to do it as fast as they can, which is going to incur more failures accordingly...I'm betting that a significant number of those 500, if riding by themselves and with no time and checkpoint considerations, would be able to finish the course

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
Old 12-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #55130
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
theres nothing "official" around here, but the phrase does fit this place, dont you think?

anyway, I didnt post the video for the song...holy shit thats some hellaciously tough riding there...Carl's Diner makes the Perry babyheads look like pea-gravel
I'm glad you posted that. It was impressive to watch. I can't imagine what that course looked like for the last heat.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #55131
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,771
Quote:
which is why I said "not in race mode"
The pace isn't what makes the start hard, the climb out of the quarry is...you can't go slow up that thing.

"Race mode" is really only for the front half of the pack....I'd wager the bulk of the 500 people riding it are riding dialed back and trying to just finish it knowing they don't have much of a chance of competing, same with Dakar.

It doesn't much matter on terrain like that...there's only one way to get over and around the stuff that knocks everyone out. The pace in between those obstacles might be higher for pros, but it's the struggle up hills, over rocks and tight spaces that will break most people...that or breakdowns/injuries.

How much energy does it take to rip through a flat section, versus getting your bike through a rock garden, in other words.

swingset screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:57 AM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #55132
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post

Stayed up and watched the series last night. All of it.

Anyone up for Romania? Looked frickin' gorgeous!!!

I now have my motivation for building a "lite" enduro course in the back 40.

I got a very tiny taste of Karl's Diner yesterday at RRMT. Zach lead me into a rock filled creek bed. I lost count of how many times I fell and it completely exhausted me. I can't even imagine Karl's Diner with rocks bigger than me.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #55133
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
hey mike, think you could finish the course at Erzberg? not in a race mode, but just complete the damned thing.
How many days do I get?

Yes, if I could ride a 250 or 300 2stk or a 350 4stk My 250 can't make up for the instances when I run out of talent like the big long power robbing hills. When I was racing my XR250, I'd drag the XR400 out when I knew the courses would have monster climbs.

The biggest issue with any race is back markers who constipate the obstacles, luckily, that race is one lap. I doubt I'd finish if it were a race unless I qualified really well which probably wouldn't happen. Fighting to get around fallen riders as you saw, sucks and saps your energy. The race I did during Hurricane Sandy was a prime example, I got a bad start and at the 1st technical section, the course was a total road block and improvising was the deal of the day. At the end of the day, there were very few riders even circulating. The guys on the back half of the rows of Erzberg from my perspective were money in the promoters pocket, they weren't getting their monies worth out of that event.

You have to be willing to push on when others say F-it from the pain and be in shape enough to pull it off. I learned that in cycling, it's one thing to be in shape enough to sit in the pack and feed off the draft but it's another to attack off the front and go it alone like in time trials and solo breakaways.

I'm planning to get back in shape this spring so that the next race I go to, I can go knowing I'm not there for just the thrill of place or show like this past summer, I'm going there in competitive condition to take on the Buckeye Series and see if I can win it again. I also found out there is a mountain race in WVa for tandems (bicycles built for 2) that I want to enter.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #55134
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
The pace isn't what makes the start hard, the climb out of the quarry is...you can't go slow up that thing.

that and the 25 other bikes trying to go up it at the same time...I saw lots of guys who would have made it get hung up on someone who didnt

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #55135
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailCallsMeKarl View Post
I can't even imagine Karl's Diner with rocks bigger than me.

Aren't most rocks bigger than you?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #55136
sion
sigh-own

Quote:
so, instead of calling the rocks at Perry babyheads, we should call them Carries?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #55137
bmoto54
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
I'm planning to get back in shape this spring so that the next race I go to, I can go knowing I'm not there for just the thrill of place or show like this past summer, I'm going there in competitive condition to take on the Buckeye Series and see if I can win it again. I also found out there is a mountain race in WVa for tandems (bicycles built for 2) that I want to enter.
Have you considered the AWRCS? Those are more difficult and way more technical than the Buckeye Series. Typical lap is 10+ miles. CRA is changing the Buckeye Series this year to longer races - I think I heard Yog say 3 hours for the bikes and 2 for the quads. Junior wants you to sign up in the 250 class so he can race against you. For some reason he thinks he can win. I remind him that he might have the edge in the speed and maybe even the endurance categories but the experiance you have will give you the win 9 out of 10 times.

bmoto54 screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 03:01 PM
bmoto54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #55138
GailCallsMeKarl
Squirrel w/ no nuts

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
so, instead of calling the rocks at Perry babyheads, we should call them Carries?
ohhh, I'd be so flattered.

Quote:
I know the ones I was riding on weighed more than I did because they didn't budge when I wrecked into them.....

Speaking of wrecking, you guys will get a kick out of this - I made a grand entrance Sunday in meeting new Texas ADVers. I came charging up a huge hill, breached the top and Zach was stopped right there. I attempted to stop next to him, but alas, the ground was further than I expected and I fell into him. Across the trail were 3 dudes. Laughing. Zach recognized the one guy's bike from a TX thread.

Fabulous way to make an entrance, GCMK style. The one guy remarked "You charged up that huge hill but can't stop?"

Yep. If it requires me getting my feet down, I'm a mess. Good motivation to stay up on the pegs.

Shortypants Bike: CRF150X
GailCallsMeKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #55139
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

I like to set goals to measure progress and push myself out of my comfort zone. I've been looking at http://aces-races.com and I'm considering entering an Enduro next year in the Sportsman class. I was wondering if any of them are noticeably easier then the rest (or which ones are a bitch). I'm not looking to be competitive, I just want to finish without being a hazard to myself or other riders.

Thanks!

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #55140
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyJoe View Post
I like to set goals to measure progress and push myself out of my comfort zone. I've been looking at http://aces-races.com and I'm considering entering an Enduro next year in the Sportsman class. I was wondering if any of them are noticeably easier then the rest (or which ones are a bitch). I'm not looking to be competitive, I just want to finish without being a hazard to myself or other riders.

Thanks!
The dry ones are easier
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote