Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #16
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Not a bad idea but I would still be stuck with 650 engine....Although the Kawi 650 is a very good engine it can't compare to an 1100 on power. Loaded for touring and add a passenger and you defiantly feel a drop in performance.

I am looking into the Triumphs, 2 hour ride just to look at one....the defiantly fit the Shinny factor
I had a 995 Sprint St for about 2 months. The motor was absolutely fabulous. I bought it in L.A. and rode it to Savannah. I just couldn't ride it for more than 100 miles without have to stop and stretch.
Disco Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #17
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
When is the new 1190 adv coming to US? Something to consider. They will start selling here in march, so i am on a look out for a bank to rob. I took the smt as well as the 690, for a test ride, both of them lot of fun, the 690 is bit 'busy' if you do lot of blacktop. While i have had the 990adv, without any 'issues' for 6 years now, as a tourer, something like the tenerere, might be better. There are that many models to choose from, of course if you know excactly what you need and have the finance, tell us what you ended up getting anyway!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #18
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
My next question...is how do I convince the wife (aka the War Dept.) that this expenditure is in our best interest. A nicer ride for her is weak because she isn't all that into riding anyway. She is a nervous passenger
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #19
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,740
Quote:
My next question...is how do I convince the wife (aka the War Dept.) that this expenditure is in our best interest. A nicer ride for her is weak because she isn't all that into riding anyway. She is a nervous passenger
You're better off selling the old bike before it depriciates too much? I don't know, my ex wife gave me the 'me or the bike' line. She was gone shortly after. I'm not good with these types of discussions.

My bike buying is always in the fall, not winter. I think things like 'if I don't do it now I won't be able to ride it until spring'.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
dmason
goofball

Oddometer: 170
I don't know you so I could be wrong, but I don't think you need a new bike, I think you need to ride more.

When it's the ride that matters the bike becomes a means to an end IMO. Sure, the bike needs to be capable, and it should be at least a little inspiring, but when I come back home from a nice weekend of riding I hardly remember the bike. I ride a Versys by the way.

I think of it in similar terms to my track suit. It's a good suit if its forgotten the moment it's put on.

Sure I'd like a little more oomph from my Versys, and that Triumph 800XC is one sexy bitch, but like you my Versys is paid for, mostly farkled, and ready to take me anywhere I dare to try.

I'm stickin' with her for at least another season.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
hajime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Get her a bike too. How about a Yamaha 225?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,046
Quote:
That's a tough sell. Unless it is your only vehicle, it is a want, not a need. If you both have equal "want" budgets, there you go: you spend yours, she spends hers.

It is particularly tough when the only answer to "whats wrong with your versys?" is something like: "it's not MWAAAAA enough anymore"
Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #23
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
No way I'm encouraging her to ride nor does she have any desire....I talked her into an ATV and it was a pretty site to see. Just doesn't have a good relationship with motor vehicles. She tried a scooter once....it didn't go well.

I think I ride a fair amount.....I put about 7k miles on the bike last season.

and no I don't have any real good reason to trade up...want is the biggest factor.

I think I'm going to try and save up for a big down payment and add selling the old bike and I'll only have a small loan.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM   #24
SamRus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I definitely get an itch for "a new and cooler" bike with fuel injection, and better gas mileage every once in a while (I have 2007 Ninja 250, but wouldn't mind Honda CBR250 or NC700X)...
And I'm also in the same boat: old bike has been bought with cash 3 years ago when I was in college and has all the nice accessories, while I would have to buy stuff for the new one, and some of the accessories I made would go to waste (like the fiberglass handguards I made just for my Ninja, because nobody seems to make anything winter-worthy).

So the trick I play on myself, is tell myself that I will not quit this bike until it has xx,xxx miles on it... In my case, I'd would love to turn 100K miles on my Ninja 250. Will that happen? Not sure, but at least it gets me through the seasonal "new bike itch," and has gotten me to put 27K miles on the bike so far :-)
And it keeps my money safe for something more prudent (I'm in my 20's, so I still need/want to save for a house, investments, etc., and I imagine that many of you guys don't have that problem anymore). I guess it's not as much about the bike for me, as it is about waking up every morning, and just getting on the bike and going for a ride. I don't even own a car anymore, because it just sat there doing nothing, and I hated killing it in such a slow and painful death.

That's what works for me.
SamRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #25
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I had a moto mag on the desk next to me that had the new strom on the cover when I read the post. DOH!!! NEVER Mind that part. But the last part still applies.

Look into the Triumphs.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #26
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,961
Normally I would say keep the old Versys, since its paid for. I tend to buy used and keep them until oil runs out the exhaust pipe. My Aprilia was the closest I've come to a new bike, and it was a demo with a few thousand miles on it.

I think you have a legitimate want here, though; more power for long trips, and more comfort for those times when you wife rides pillion. Personally, I am very opposed to debt. What about selling the Versys now while it still holds some value, ride the KLR while saving some cash to throw in, then buying the Super Tenere. You may have to get a used one to avoid borrowing.

Three key parts to a plan like that would be:
1. Getting an emergency fund in place for other household stuff.
2. Getting your wife on board before selling the Versys.
3. Keeping the money in a separate bank account.

You don't want the money to get diverted to something else, leaving you with only the KLR. (not that the KLR isn't a fun bike)
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #27
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim

Yes, it has a top box. Fuck off Dakez

Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,834
Quote:
Every year about this time I get the desire to trade in or sell my current bike and buy a new, bigger fancier bike....

I think this comes from not being able to ride for 4 months.

My current bike is an 09 Versys that set up well for light touring. Its a great bike but has its limitations. Not the greatest for two up riding ( the wife doesn't feel comfortable on it) and I wouldn't mind a bit more power. The plus side its pretty much fully farkled....and the biggy, its fully paid for...has been for over a year.

So the internal struggle....sell it and get a bigger bike that needs to be farlked plus a payment. Or keep what I got...
In the past the wallet wins out and I don't buy anything...although last year I bought a used KLR to play with...( I know what some will say....sell that one, but Kermit has won my heart so I'm keeping that one)

I realize the only person who can answer it is me but I figure I'm not the only one going through this struggle.
Build a turbo kit for it. It'll be a fun project and the power hit will be insane...'wheelies in the first 6 gears.

What makes it uncomfortable for 2up? Widen the passenger seat, lengthen it, and add some foam. Lower the passenger pegs.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #29
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
I've been looking at some of the new bikes lately. There's some really good looking stuff out there.The only downside to the newer offerings is , they are all so complex now. Everything now has linked ABS systems, electronic suspension systems, traction control, etc,etc, etc. While all of these bells and whistles may be usefull, they seem more like sales gimmicks to me. They are all fine and good until there's a failure. I would hate to see the bill for replacing the control module for one of these systems.
IgoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post

Yes, it has a top box. Fuck off Dakez