Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 519 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 AM   #26476
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Chisenhallw is right on the money. We don't need this crap in this thread. Trying to convince people that you riding your bicycle on a public road is analogous to 5 year olds being gunned down in their school is asinine. If you want to try to make that point, keep it on fucking FB, the bicycle thread is not your blog.
That's ridiculous.

The analogy is spot on. "You can have my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands" is analogous to "bicycles don't belong on the road." In both cases the speaker has a selfish interest first and a fuck the rest of society mentality second.

Probably not the thread to discuss it in, on that we can find mutual ground, but to completely dismiss the parallel is foolish in my opinion. We are all bikers here, moto or otherwise. Well mostly. The things that affect us as cyclists do translate to other venues, though perhaps not as directly. I believe that Gummee is speaking to the greater collective conscience of society to stop being so intellectually immature and to grow up and be accountable to their fellow citizens. In the same way that this thread is not his thread/ blog, the rest of society is not solely the residence of gun owners/ selfish suv drivers. We all live here.

Which begs the question; what's happened to that Ford Explorer driving nincomtwat in Colorado who was harassing the cyclists? I know he got arrested and charged, but was he prosecuted?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM   #26477
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
This weekend my riding buddy Dave and I decided to explore a couple of trails at the other end of Santos that we'd never been on. These trails come highly recommended, so expectations were high. Both turned out to be very technical trails with lots of steep little climbs and descents, and obstacles of various kinds everywhere. I thought at first that trying to keep up with Dave would be impossible on a trail like that, given the enormous difference in our level of training, so it came as quite a surprise to me that I managed to stay on his rear wheel while maintaining what he later referred to as a 'good pace', which is Davespeak for 'as fast as I dare to go'. Flying through blind turns on an unfamiliar trail practically guarantees an unintended dismount, however, and halfway through the first trail, Dave got his pedals caught between two sharp boulders which appeared without warning. Fortunately a minor cut in his knee was the only result. Inspired by his example, I bumped my handlebar against on a tree while threading a narrow passage, which sent me off the trail and into a mound of leaves and pine needles. It was like falling on a mattress. If you're going to crash, this is the way to do it. The second trail proved to be just as challenging, but very rocky and therefore more dangerous to both bikes and riders. We passed one rider walking his bike back after having smashed his rear derailleur on a rock. Fortunately we suffered only one minor fall each before completing this trail. On the way back, Dave suggested we take the express route, which consists of a fairly wide trail composed of rough limestone. He didn't think he had the energy to try for another 12 miles on the kinds of trails we'd been on. That surprised me because I felt fully up to the task, and until recently it was always me who tired out first. About halfway through the return ride, I got bored and began to increase my speed, eventually leveling off at between 18 and 19 mph. Dave kept up with me, but was exhausted by the time we arrived back at the trail entrance, and insisted we rest a while. He has a VERY competitive personality, and for him to say that he needs a rest means he's about to drop dead. It was another 500 yards or so to get back to the parking lot, where we sat around a while talking and gulping down energy drinks before the drive home. All the while we were being watched by a coral snake only yards away, which a hiker pointed out to us. Contrary to expectations, my legs felt pretty good the next day, but I decided to give them a rest and not to ride the bike on Sunday. The Saturday ride was only the second time I've managed to keep up with and actually outpace Dave on any trail, so apparently both my skilz and general conditioning have improved greatly since we began riding together seven months ago. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #26478
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
This weekend my riding buddy Dave and I decided to explore a couple of trails at the other end of Santos that we'd never been on. These trails come highly recommended, so expectations were high. Both turned out to be very technical trails with lots of steep little climbs and descents, and obstacles of various kinds everywhere. I thought at first that trying to keep up with Dave would be impossible on a trail like that, given the enormous difference in our level of training, so it came as quite a surprise to me that I managed to stay on his rear wheel while maintaining what he later referred to as a 'good pace', which is Davespeak for 'as fast as I dare to go'. Flying through blind turns on an unfamiliar trail practically guarantees an unintended dismount, however, and halfway through the first trail, Dave got his pedals caught between two sharp boulders which appeared without warning. Fortunately a minor cut in his knee was the only result. Inspired by his example, I bumped my handlebar against on a tree while threading a narrow passage, which sent me off the trail and into a mound of leaves and pine needles. It was like falling on a mattress. If you're going to crash, this is the way to do it. The second trail proved to be just as challenging, but very rocky and therefore more dangerous to both bikes and riders. We passed one rider walking his bike back after having smashed his rear derailleur on a rock. Fortunately we suffered only one minor fall each before completing this trail. On the way back, Dave suggested we take the express route, which consists of a fairly wide trail composed of rough limestone. He didn't think he had the energy to try for another 12 miles on the kinds of trails we'd been on. That surprised me because I felt fully up to the task, and until recently it was always me who tired out first. About halfway through the return ride, I got bored and began to increase my speed, eventually leveling off at between 18 and 19 mph. Dave kept up with me, but was exhausted by the time we arrived back at the trail entrance, and insisted we rest a while. He has a VERY competitive personality, and for him to say that he needs a rest means he's about to drop dead. It was another 500 yards or so to get back to the parking lot, where we sat around a while talking and gulping down energy drinks before the drive home. All the while we were being watched by a coral snake only yards away, which a hiker pointed out to us. Contrary to expectations, my legs felt pretty good the next day, but I decided to give them a rest and not to ride the bike on Sunday. The Saturday ride was only the second time I've managed to keep up with and actually outpace Dave on any trail, so apparently both my skilz and general conditioning have improved greatly since we began riding together seven months ago. I'm already looking forward to next weekend.
Which trails were those?
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #26479
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,833
Wicked Wash is awesome stuff.

They were at the race yesterday. Spray the bike with this stuff and the mud just melted off when sprayed with water. No scrubbing and the bike is darn near spotless.

Now all I gotta do is re-lube the chain, swap chainrings out for the road size, and stick some skinny tires on the FTB and I'm good to go for the spring/summer.

M
Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #26480
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As long as the bike isn't swinging back and forth, you shouldn't have any problems with the cables. What problems you're going to have are scratches in the paint from the pressure/friction when you're hanging the bike that way.

I've got 4 of 5 of my bikes hung the same way. I just don't particularly worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
It's a hook for hanging up rakes and shovels and such. Other than maybe causing them to mark up your frame a bit, it shouldn't hurt your cables.
That hook dealio is rubber coated. And, I've seen it listed for hanging bicycles.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #26481
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Which trails were those?
Nayls and Ern 'N Burn, way over on the West side:

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA_Bike_Trails_Map_Jan_2012.gif
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 06:49 AM
Old 12-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #26482
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
That hook dealio is rubber coated. And, I've seen it listed for hanging bicycles.
the hook is but the frame's not

M
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #26483
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nayls and Ern 'N Burn, way over on the West side.
We rode those.

We parked at the convenience store, on HWY200, and rode east from there, all the way to Santos TH and back. It was quite the day. We rode a few miles east of Santos TH, on another day, and would like to ride further east. That's such a great network of trails that one can just ride and not be killing themselves.

Also, I carry a spare derailluer hanger and derailluer. Both our bikes take the same hanger and are both SRAM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #26484
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 7,363
Quote:
As long as the bike isn't swinging back and forth, you shouldn't have any problems with the cables. What problems you're going to have are scratches in the paint from the pressure/friction when you're hanging the bike that way.

I've got 4 of 5 of my bikes hung the same way. I just don't particularly worry about it.
Quote:
Quote:
the hook is but the frame's not

M
Thanks for the further replies gents.

Yeah, there is a nice foam on the forks of the wall mounted rack. I am not overly worried about scratches on frame, but again, it is a brand new bike so I'll avoid what scratches I can.

I did not give it too much investigation, but it looks like it might not be that hard to unclip those two lines where they hook to frame, towards front, and let them hang down when on wall rack. Not that big a deal to hook those back up again when I take it down to ride.

Would there be any kind of line tension issues I might have to deal with??( in other words, would I mess up any of the shifter settings by taking that line on and off for storage?)
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #26485
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Would there be any kind of line tension issues I might have to deal with??( in other words, would I mess up any of the shifter settings by taking that line on and off for storage?)
The PITA factor alone would have me recommending that you don't do that.

Its easy to do if you want to: for the rear der, shift to the small cog (physical size) and with the shifter in that position push the derailleur back to the big cog. (physical size) That's gonna give you enough room to get the housing out of the stops.

The worst you're gonna do is get the ferrules not seated exactly where they were. That may/may not be a problem when you start riding again: der into the spokes or off the end of the cassette on the small end if the limit screws weren't set right, or shifting problems. The der off either side of the cassette can be catastrophic. AMHIK

M
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #26486
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We rode those.

We parked at the convenience store, on HWY200, and rode east from there, all the way to Santos TH and back. It was quite the day. We rode a few miles east of Santos TH, on another day, and would like to ride further east. That's such a great network of trails that one can just ride and not be killing themselves.
I'm gonna leave my GPS home next time and just enjoy the trails without worrying about my Strava records.

Quote:
Also, I carry a spare derailluer hanger and derailluer. Both our bikes take the same hanger and are both SRAM.
That's not a bad idea. How much do those parts cost?
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #26487
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,689
if you're worried about scratching the paint, why not just take a piece of that protective tape (like a chainstay protector) and put it on the bottom of the Top Tube so the cables can't scratch the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks for the further replies gents.

Yeah, there is a nice foam on the forks of the wall mounted rack. I am not overly worried about scratches on frame, but again, it is a brand new bike so I'll avoid what scratches I can.

I did not give it too much investigation, but it looks like it might not be that hard to unclip those two lines where they hook to frame, towards front, and let them hang down when on wall rack. Not that big a deal to hook those back up again when I take it down to ride.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #26488
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The PITA factor alone would have me recommending that you don't do that.

Its easy to do if you want to: for the rear der, shift to the small cog (physical size) and with the shifter in that position push the derailleur back to the big cog. (physical size) That's gonna give you enough room to get the housing out of the stops.

The worst you're gonna do is get the ferrules not seated exactly where they were. That may/may not be a problem when you start riding again: der into the spokes or off the end of the cassette on the small end if the limit screws weren't set right, or shifting problems. The der off either side of the cassette can be catastrophic. AMHIK

M
Full housing; just snip the cable ties.

Quote:
I'm gonna leave my GPS home next time and just enjoy the trails without worrying about my Strava records.
I always take my GPS, just in case. It was particularly handy down there, as I could see where we were at in relation to trailheads. We managed to drink all of my 100oz of water, between water points. As you know, not all the Santos trailheads have water.

Quote:
That's not a bad idea. How much do those parts cost?
Depends on the bike and components. The hanger might be $10-$20 and the derailluer could be as much as $250. Your hanger may have a part number on it, if not, look here and find the QBP part number. That'll save you from having to deal with a shop employee fumbling around trying to find a match.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #26489
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
if you're worried about scratching the paint, why not just take a piece of that protective tape (like a chainstay protector) and put it on the bottom of the Top Tube so the cables can't scratch the frame?
This is what I use. Amazon has it in many sizes. Great for moto tank/frame protection too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #26490
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I always take my GPS, just in case. It was particularly handy down there, as I could see where we were at in relation to trailheads. We managed to drink all of my 100oz of water, between water points. As you know, not all the Santos trailheads have water.
Mine doesn't have any maps loaded, so its of no use as a navigational tool. I always carry a trail map with me for that reason. Greenway Bicycles provides them free of charge, or you can just print them from the OMBA website.

Quote:
Depends on the bike and components. The hanger might be $10-$20 and the derailluer could be as much as $250. Your hanger may have a part number on it, if not, look here and find the QBP part number. That'll save you from having to deal with a shop employee fumbling around trying to find a match.
I'm going to look into this. My riding buddy Dave used to be a bicycle mechanic, so he'll know how to replace a broken one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: