Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #26596
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As long as the bike isn't swinging back and forth, you shouldn't have any problems with the cables. What problems you're going to have are scratches in the paint from the pressure/friction when you're hanging the bike that way.

I've got 4 of 5 of my bikes hung the same way. I just don't particularly worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That hook dealio is rubber coated. And, I've seen it listed for hanging bicycles.
Quote:
the hook is but the frame's not

M
Thanks for the further replies gents.

Yeah, there is a nice foam on the forks of the wall mounted rack. I am not overly worried about scratches on frame, but again, it is a brand new bike so I'll avoid what scratches I can.

I did not give it too much investigation, but it looks like it might not be that hard to unclip those two lines where they hook to frame, towards front, and let them hang down when on wall rack. Not that big a deal to hook those back up again when I take it down to ride.

Would there be any kind of line tension issues I might have to deal with??( in other words, would I mess up any of the shifter settings by taking that line on and off for storage?)
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #26597
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Would there be any kind of line tension issues I might have to deal with??( in other words, would I mess up any of the shifter settings by taking that line on and off for storage?)
The PITA factor alone would have me recommending that you don't do that.

Its easy to do if you want to: for the rear der, shift to the small cog (physical size) and with the shifter in that position push the derailleur back to the big cog. (physical size) That's gonna give you enough room to get the housing out of the stops.

The worst you're gonna do is get the ferrules not seated exactly where they were. That may/may not be a problem when you start riding again: der into the spokes or off the end of the cassette on the small end if the limit screws weren't set right, or shifting problems. The der off either side of the cassette can be catastrophic. AMHIK

M
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #26598
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,113
Quote:
We rode those.

We parked at the convenience store, on HWY200, and rode east from there, all the way to Santos TH and back. It was quite the day. We rode a few miles east of Santos TH, on another day, and would like to ride further east. That's such a great network of trails that one can just ride and not be killing themselves.
I'm gonna leave my GPS home next time and just enjoy the trails without worrying about my Strava records.

Quote:
Also, I carry a spare derailluer hanger and derailluer. Both our bikes take the same hanger and are both SRAM.
That's not a bad idea. How much do those parts cost?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #26599
zouch
part-time wanderer

Oddometer: 1,633
if you're worried about scratching the paint, why not just take a piece of that protective tape (like a chainstay protector) and put it on the bottom of the Top Tube so the cables can't scratch the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks for the further replies gents.

Yeah, there is a nice foam on the forks of the wall mounted rack. I am not overly worried about scratches on frame, but again, it is a brand new bike so I'll avoid what scratches I can.

I did not give it too much investigation, but it looks like it might not be that hard to unclip those two lines where they hook to frame, towards front, and let them hang down when on wall rack. Not that big a deal to hook those back up again when I take it down to ride.

'02 GS Adv
zouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #26600
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
The PITA factor alone would have me recommending that you don't do that.

Its easy to do if you want to: for the rear der, shift to the small cog (physical size) and with the shifter in that position push the derailleur back to the big cog. (physical size) That's gonna give you enough room to get the housing out of the stops.

The worst you're gonna do is get the ferrules not seated exactly where they were. That may/may not be a problem when you start riding again: der into the spokes or off the end of the cassette on the small end if the limit screws weren't set right, or shifting problems. The der off either side of the cassette can be catastrophic. AMHIK

M
Full housing; just snip the cable ties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I'm gonna leave my GPS home next time and just enjoy the trails without worrying about my Strava records.
I always take my GPS, just in case. It was particularly handy down there, as I could see where we were at in relation to trailheads. We managed to drink all of my 100oz of water, between water points. As you know, not all the Santos trailheads have water.

Quote:
That's not a bad idea. How much do those parts cost?
Depends on the bike and components. The hanger might be $10-$20 and the derailluer could be as much as $250. Your hanger may have a part number on it, if not, look here and find the QBP part number. That'll save you from having to deal with a shop employee fumbling around trying to find a match.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #26601
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
if you're worried about scratching the paint, why not just take a piece of that protective tape (like a chainstay protector) and put it on the bottom of the Top Tube so the cables can't scratch the frame?
This is what I use. Amazon has it in many sizes. Great for moto tank/frame protection too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #26602
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I always take my GPS, just in case. It was particularly handy down there, as I could see where we were at in relation to trailheads. We managed to drink all of my 100oz of water, between water points. As you know, not all the Santos trailheads have water.
Mine doesn't have any maps loaded, so its of no use as a navigational tool. I always carry a trail map with me for that reason. Greenway Bicycles provides them free of charge, or you can just print them from the OMBA website.

Quote:
Depends on the bike and components. The hanger might be $10-$20 and the derailluer could be as much as $250. Your hanger may have a part number on it, if not, look here and find the QBP part number. That'll save you from having to deal with a shop employee fumbling around trying to find a match.
I'm going to look into this. My riding buddy Dave used to be a bicycle mechanic, so he'll know how to replace a broken one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #26603
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
I'm going to look into this. My riding buddy Dave used to be a bicycle mechanic, so he'll know how to replace a broken one.
Typically, a hanger is going to break well before the der is trashed. Its designed that way.

My buddy that munched a pair of Zipps the other week tore a bunch of spokes out of the rear wheel using his derailleur. Changed out the hanger, der was fine.

The Wheels Manufacturing hangers are typically stiffer than stock, so be aware that the 'fuse' in the system just got rated for a higher amperage. IOW the hanger is stiffer and you'll shift better but you also have a greater chance of messing up your derailleur.

YMMV

M
Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #26604
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:
Back in the day, a buddy snapped his hanger off while we were descending a rough downhill section. We got to the bottom of the mountain and I ended up pulling him about a mile to the parking lot, with him hanging onto my seat post. Thanks for the memory jog.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #26605
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Back in the day, a buddy snapped his hanger off while we were descending a rough downhill section. We got to the bottom of the mountain and I ended up pulling him about a mile to the parking lot, with him hanging onto my seat post. Thanks for the memory jog.
That's the point where you pull out the chain tool and make a SS out of the bike so he can ride out.

Emergency surgery on mtn bikes can be fun. ...as long as its not your bike!

M
Old 12-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #26606
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That's the point where you pull out the chain tool and make a SS out of the bike so he can ride out.
Damn, that very thing occurred to me but I thought it was too obvious, so there must be some reason it wouldn't work.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #26607
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Damn, that very thing occurred to me but I thought it was too obvious, so there must be some reason it wouldn't work.
Nope. Works great.

BTDT a few times over the years. Primarily before replaceable hangers were invented. Damn sticks!

M
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #26608
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Not me or my race again, but 1 lap of yesterday's race

M
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #26609
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by zouch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
This is what I use. Amazon has it in many sizes. Great for moto tank/frame protection too.
Good idea..thanks guys.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #26610
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Quote:

Emergency surgery on mtn bikes can be fun. ...as long as its not your bike!

M
The timing of the hanger snap was perfect. Happened close to the bottom of the downhill. Coasted out onto pavement, smooth easy tow ride to parking lot. If you ever head to southwest VA, I suggest the trails at Douthat State Park to experience it for yourself, but a SS won't go very far there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: