Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #2986
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Not sure if you guys have covered the rad fan switch or not but I made some discoveries today and thought I would share. The switch on my XCW failed after the first week, so I called the dealer and was told I was SOL but I could get a new one for $54 As fate would have it, my 390 Berg switch was also bad and they happen to be the same. An 84 BMW 318i switch will work and they're offered in 91c and 99c but nobody local has them....of course.

I decided to paw through a friends parts bin at a rally shop and see what I could come up with but found nothing that would work. We decided to chuck the switch into the lathe and pop the cap off and have a look inside. The reason why the switch failed was burned out terminals, the bi-metal disc and popper was fine. My theory is that the switch isn't rugged enough to pass the current for the fan and burns out prematurely. I think the solution is to add a simple relay to the circuit and run a pair of leeds to the fan from the battery directly, with a fuse of course.

The cars that use this style of fan switch all have a relay, so it's obvious to me that it's a start. Probably better for the fan also, since it's not pulling so much amperage through the fan switch. Anyway, there it is
Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #2987
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
aahaha rap? dude it's just a fun song to make an edit to but i can see that i'm speaking to someone who's very educated on music genres.

and disco? holy hell, what year is this?! in all seriousness though, here ya go good sir, just for you fella. i can see you're used to having the world cater to your specific needs.

oh and thanks clapped! good to know somebody knows what they're talking about.
Man! looks like I gotta plan a trip to Virginny!! Awesome trails! Is this on private or public land?

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #2988
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Not sure if you guys have covered the rad fan switch or not but I made some discoveries today and thought I would share. The switch on my XCW failed after the first week, so I called the dealer and was told I was SOL but I could get a new one for $54 As fate would have it, my 390 Berg switch was also bad and they happen to be the same. An 84 BMW 318i switch will work and they're offered in 91c and 99c but nobody local has them....of course.

I decided to paw through a friends parts bin at a rally shop and see what I could come up with but found nothing that would work. We decided to chuck the switch into the lathe and pop the cap off and have a look inside. The reason why the switch failed was burned out terminals, the bi-metal disc and popper was fine. My theory is that the switch isn't rugged enough to pass the current for the fan and burns out prematurely. I think the solution is to add a simple relay to the circuit and run a pair of leeds to the fan from the battery directly, with a fuse of course.

The cars that use this style of fan switch all have a relay, so it's obvious to me that it's a start. Probably better for the fan also, since it's not pulling so much amperage through the fan switch. Anyway, there it is
The switch on my '12 EXC failed as well but at more like 3000 miles. I, too, looked into the relay idea as well as another source.

BTW - The dealer price should be closer to $25 as is shown in the fische ...

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=555&B=37

And, most auto switches were priced similarly so no cost savings.

I noticed that my '07 990 with 32,xxx miles had a similar switch but with wire vs blade connections that has never failed. So it stayed with the OEM switch as being the most simple / cheapest solution & the failure an anomaly. Also, most car fans have larger motors pulling more current hence the relay.

If it fails again soon, it will be revisited.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #2989
avconnect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
The switch on my '12 EXC failed as well but at more like 3000 miles. I, too, looked into the relay idea as well as another source.

I noticed that my '07 990 with 32,xxx miles had a similar switch but with wire vs blade connections that has never failed. So it stayed with the OEM switch as being the most simple / cheapest solution & the failure an anomaly. Also, most car fans have larger motors pulling more current hence the relay.

Must admit I know nothing of the fan switch. When installed does it allow you to override auto operation of the fan? How does it work and why would I want one on my EXC? Does the fan stay in auto mode if the switch is off?
avconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #2990
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post

I've had two fail this year, so I'm probably going to install a relay.
I ride a lot of single track, so I'm pretty sure my switches get a work out
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #2991
Nomad
High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Man! looks like I gotta plan a trip to Virginny!! Awesome trails! Is this on private or public land?

Bundy
well make the trip! the video is at my friend Bricky's place. I've been able to make a few deals on some private land around here since the public riding spots are few and far between. the ones that are around my area are poorly maintained anyway.

Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #2992
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,061
Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsduc View Post
??

Mad because i live in florida and wish i could ride out my house to that
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #2993
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
well make the trip! the video is at my friend Bricky's place. I've been able to make a few deals on some private land around here since the public riding spots are few and far between. the ones that are around my area are poorly maintained anyway.
I have ridden Hatfield McCoy before, but this looks much better!!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #2994
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,110
Would a simple capacitor over the switch not work? I think it's just sparks that would burn it out, not so much current as the switch is def. big enough for the fan's power requirement.
Many on the 950's run 2 fans over the 1 switch without issues for years.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #2995
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Would a simple capacitor over the switch not work? I think it's just sparks that would burn it out, not so much current as the switch is def. big enough for the fan's power requirement.
Many on the 950's run 2 fans over the 1 switch without issues for years.
Not sure but I've had two switches burnout in 6 months time on two different bikes that use the same switch. The one I tore into had burned contacts, and the other switch is probably the same burned contacts. The switches in the 950's are different anyway, apples to oranges. The local auto parts guy said the catalog said the part was made by Fiat Fiat- The Italian Lucas
Old 12-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #2996
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWATDOC View Post
the ECU part numbers are the same for the US model EXC and XCW 500's. And I have the service manual right in front of me (cdrom), and it covers all EXC and XCW models from 2008 thru 2012

Also, for the Map that I have, it is not a HEX file, it's a BLZ file. It won't work with Tune Ecu or any other program. It can only be installed by a factory authorized KTM dealer with the factory ECU programmer. And, the ECU has to be in the bike during programming - you cannot pull it out and send it to a dealer somewhere else.
Can I get confirmation or contrary opinion from people on the last sentance in the above quote? Is it not possible to mail my ECU to get programed? Swatdoc if you are reading this can you let us know how you came about this information? Thanks.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #2997
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

As long as the dealer has a similar bike that he could temporarily connect your ecu to it should be no problem to mail it to them.

I know of no other software but dealer software that works with the .blz's
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #2998
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Hey Crank,

I thought they were the same.. My bad. Are they burned, like melted out? Or just blackened from sparking? If its just sparks that soil the connection (so a clean would have fixed it if you could service it) than a cap should really do the trick!

ah well.. italian electronics, we all know what to expect from that!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #2999
spsduc
spsduc

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkey Cat View Post
Mad because i live in florida and wish i could ride out my house to that
Yeah we're pretty lucky here in New Zealand.

Have a great Christmas.
spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #3000
Ronin ADV
Gear addict

Oddometer: 594
So that's it. I just finished all 200 pages and 3000 replies in this thread.
And yes I went and put a deposit on a 2013 500 exc.
Thanks to this thread I went in to my dealer with 3 pages of notes / parts I wanted. I got a blanket 10% off so I ordered most of the initial parts I plan to add.
I still need to sort out my HDB order, steering damper, powerlet stuff, and a few other minor odds and ends.
My Renazco seat build date is in March.
I plan to pick up the bike in January.
I think my WR250R is already getting jealous.
Red dirt, rocks and sand; Riding the southern UTBDR, WR250R vs EXC 500 - a comparison
Ronin ADV is offline   Reply With Quote