User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #151
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,534
Gawd. That crunch sound made me wince..

Still no sign of the new bikes over here - the dealer closest to me is having a fire sale on the old bike. Looks like Yamaha UK has realised that to stay in business, its good to actually sell a few bikes now and then. Most of the range has now had a "re-alignment".

The new one is coming in at 13,500 otr. In the same ball park as the new Trophy..
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #152
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The Feds mandated that all bikes must have the shifter on the left and the rear brake on the right; British bikes at the time were the opposite.

IMHO, the Flash to Pass feature in North America is worthless and confusing to drivers. They don't understand it. Are you saying move out of my way? Are you ceding right of way if you flash someone coming out of a side street or making a turn? are you saying , triggering their road rage? I stopped using it long ago.. Drivers in Europe are more bike aware / bike friendly know exactly what it means and what to do. It was amazing to me to see this in motion on the autobahn in Germany. No left lane bandits there..

The light switch still has a flash to pass feature, you just use your thumb instead.
This is rather interesting to me. While flash to pass on my Ducati was ignored, the headlight modulator worked wonders, to the point that a firetruck pulled me over (lights/sirens then stopped behind me). The driver wanted to thank me as the modulator made me VERY visible to him. Considering in the first 10 miles on that bike I was almost hit three times by people who later claimed not to have seen me I was very happy with the modulator. Now if they made a CANBUS compatible unit...
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #153
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Soon to be so.

I just put a deposit on the 2013 FJR after 20+ years away from biking. I rode a 1956 Panhead hardtail with 10" over Durfee girder front-end for many years. I'm a bit older now (mature ), and find that a long distant tourer appeals to me now. Somewhat apprehensive about riding again, I'm also very excited about getting on the road with two wheels.

I look forward to sharing my impressions about this bike, and learning many things from all of you here.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #154
u wish u could ride
SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKLD View Post
I just put a deposit on the 2013 FJR after 20+ years away from biking. I rode a 1956 Panhead hardtail with 10" over Durfee girder front-end for many years. I'm a bit older now (mature ), and find that a long distant tourer appeals to me now. Somewhat apprehensive about riding again, I'm also very excited about getting on the road with two wheels.

I look forward to sharing my impressions about this bike, and learning many things from all of you here.
THIS BIKE IS GONNA ROCK YOUR WORLD!!just make sure you give yourself time to get used to it ! i ride a 07 and cant imagine better braking or a smoother faster version be safe and report back!!
u wish u could ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #155
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #156
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
LKLD,

Lots of info over on FJRowners.com, but search before asking questions. The mods seem intent on stopping any repeated questions, that or they want to drive away anyone not in their little club.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #157
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,070
Quote:

It looks like a great bike and I'm sure you'll have a blast!

When I re-entered two wheel riding 15 years ago, after a 15 year absence, I went with a bigger bike than I had ever ridden. I wish I had taken a riding course for returning riders at the same time. I didn't and muddled through, surprised at how much rust I'd gathered.

I've had tons of bikes since, lots of track days, plenty of off road, several experienced rider racing/dirt/adventure courses and ridden many, many miles. I'm a pretty good rider. But it would have been easier I think, when I first returned, if I'd done some training.

My 2 cents.

Regardless, have fun! It will be the beginning of great times!

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #158
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,239
Quote:
I'm going to second the notion of a safety course.

It's been twenty years since you exercised some coordination and reflexes- and then in ways quite different from where you're heaeded- and traffic management skills that have become even more critical to your survival.

There's the obvious option of a BRC- which I wouldn't discount if it's really been 20 years since you last had to coordinate motorcycle controls; many students do well to have the extra time going over the very basics- but also depending on where in Florida you are, there are BRC2, Bike Bonding courses, and Advanced courses that you might look into.

Yeah, it's a couple hundred bucks and a weekend's worth of time. Pocket change when you're looking at staying safe and keeping your new $16K toy shiny.

Quote:
As for the FJR- this is not your Harley; take some time to get used to it, and viva la difference!
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #159
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:

Congratulations on a fine choice; them 2013s are hawt!
You'll prolly wanta have the seat in the low position at first, (For more confidence stopping.) and make sure they have air in the tires (40F/42R) upon delivery. (I've heard of bikes being delivered with 30F/32R and thay'll make it feel like a big heavy pig.)
When ya factor in reliability, the low maintenance, handling, comfort, range on a tank; it's as good as it gets on two wheels.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #160
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Thanks Everyone.

Thanks for the advice and tips, as I'm a sponge right now about all things concerned with riding. I have vacation next week, so I had already planned to take the basic riding course, just to get the feel again if nothing else. I did ride my son's Harley from the shop to his house a couple of years ago, but that's been about it, as my wife isn't too keen on bikes. I'm trying to be careful, and take it slow and easy.

Speaking of that, I figured that when I pick it up at the dealership I would put it in "tour mode", in hopes that it wouldn't have an abrupt throttle response. That way I might find it easier to take off w/o any issues. I sure don't want to screw the pooch the first day!

I expect my boots and helmet Wednesday, but haven't got the jacket/pants,or gloves yet. I should have at least a few weeks before I can pick it up, so will get those next.

Speaking of gear, has anyone here ever used, or know someone who has used, "motorama.it" ? They have Clover gear much cheaper than the British sites, and that is my first choice. Just not sure about overseas ordering, even though they rate well as a website (security, etc..).

Again, thank you all for your help....I really do appreciate it.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #161
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Speaking of that, I figured that when I pick it up at the dealership I would put it in "tour mode", in hopes that it wouldn't have an abrupt throttle response.
That's a great idea too. You want to be as comfortable, confident, and have good control 'til ya get yer riding wings back. (Then you can cut loose.)
Dunno 'bout Clover gear, all I know is properly fitting gear is the best.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #162
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Thanks for the advice and tips, as I'm a sponge right now about all things concerned with riding. I have vacation next week, so I had already planned to take the basic riding course, just to get the feel again if nothing else. I did ride my son's Harley from the shop to his house a couple of years ago, but that's been about it, as my wife isn't too keen on bikes. I'm trying to be careful, and take it slow and easy.

Speaking of that, I figured that when I pick it up at the dealership I would put it in "tour mode", in hopes that it wouldn't have an abrupt throttle response. That way I might find it easier to take off w/o any issues. I sure don't want to screw the pooch the first day!

I expect my boots and helmet Wednesday, but haven't got the jacket/pants,or gloves yet. I should have at least a few weeks before I can pick it up, so will get those next.

Speaking of gear, has anyone here ever used, or know someone who has used, "motorama.it" ? They have Clover gear much cheaper than the British sites, and that is my first choice. Just not sure about overseas ordering, even though they rate well as a website (security, etc..).

Again, thank you all for your help....I really do appreciate it.
Definitely take the rider course, but then get your gear (helmet etc.) take your new motorcycle cert to a dealer and test ride a bunch of bikes before you start riding you brand new $$$ one. Maybe some old FJR if you can find one. It is so easy to make a bonehead move after 20 years off, would be a shame if it happened on your brand new bike.

Direct experience here, I took close to 30 years off, did my MSF, then test rode quite a few new & used bikes. Slooooowly. Wore off some of the newb jitters on them. But it took quite a few miles to get most of the skills & comfort back (esp in traffic), and modern bikes are so much more capable than mid 70's "sportbike" iron that I used to ride. Most modern big touring bikes are 11 sec 1/4 mile machines, just unbelievable. And the liter bikes are mid 9's off the showroom floor. Handling and brakes just light years ahead.

True story. I was test riding an 08 ZX14 one day, got it out into the country and cracked it open a bit. Thought I was maybe doing 90MPH. Looked down at the speedo. 140. Just nuts. This was after I'd been back to riding for 3 yrs and owned a CBR1100XX. These new bikes are deceptive and you can get over your head real fast.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #163
AKjitsu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
To what the others have said: Get in an MSF safety course before you get near that bike. When you pick it up, make sure it’s in Touring mode. Yamha’s are famous for very abrupt on/off throttle response. And the FJR engine braking map is pretty severe.

And WATCH YOURSELF. If you’re used to Harleys, a velvet beast like an FJR will hurl you into three digits so effortlessly and with such little noise and commotion that, with no intent on your part, traffic and landscape are coming at you a lot faster than you’re prepared to deal with.

Good luck. Take your time. You’re gonna love it.

AKjitsu screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 09:57 AM
AKjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #164
Data
Chameleon

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
Definitely take the rider course, but then get your gear (helmet etc.) take your new motorcycle cert to a dealer and test ride a bunch of bikes before you start riding you brand new $$$ one. Maybe some old FJR if you can find one. It is so easy to make a bonehead move after 20 years off, would be a shame if it happened on your brand new bike.

Direct experience here, I took close to 30 years off, did my MSF, then test rode quite a few new & used bikes. Slooooowly. Wore off some of the newb jitters on them. But it took quite a few miles to get most of the skills & comfort back (esp in traffic), and modern bikes are so much more capable than mid 70's "sportbike" iron that I used to ride. Most modern big touring bikes are 11 sec 1/4 mile machines, just unbelievable. And the liter bikes are mid 9's off the showroom floor. Handling and brakes just light years ahead.

True story. I was test riding an 08 ZX14 one day, got it out into the country and cracked it open a bit. Thought I was maybe doing 90MPH. Looked down at the speedo. 140. Just nuts. This was after I'd been back to riding for 3 yrs and owned a CBR1100XX. These new bikes are deceptive and you can get over your head real fast.
You can get some valuable cross learning from riding a bicycle too (yeah the ones you have to pedal). Seriously they help with balance, counter steering, and picking your lines. The physical conditioning doesn't hurt either.
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #165
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,812
Quote: