ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Link?

Never mind. Found it.

Yeah... I have a sneaking suspicion that's a US$35.00 part he's sourcing, charging US$150.00, and letting you do the work.
I got one. It works.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I always assumed map up dates were largely vender updates.

What he said is what I figure.
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
I got one. It works.

No, no. I'm not saying it doesn't work. I'm saying that I have a feeling he's not doing anything other than re-selling a part he's sourced.

I know there was a thread in "Laying Down Tracks" showing you how to do this yourself. I'll see if I can find it.

Well, here's his website.

http://www.garminych.ru/index.php?productID=829

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 07:32 PM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #19
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Is the 2 gig card compatible with the 478? Garmin's cards only go up to 512. I also found a link that said something about forcing the 2013 update to fit. Something about overwriting some of the chart data? I would love to be able to load some of the free topos i have on my 60csx on to the 478.
There are definitely some states I wail almost never visit so if I can not load those and pretty much have west of the Miss. city navigator on the device, and some topo's on the card that would be awesome...
j
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, answered my own questions.
New question. Has anyone thought of casting the plastic datacard part so you don't have to spend 150.00 twice ( once for the 2 gig upgrade and once for the 512 card just to throw the innards away?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetool View Post
Ok, answered my own questions.
New question. Has anyone thought of casting the plastic datacard part so you don't have to spend 150.00 twice ( once for the 2 gig upgrade and once for the 512 card just to throw the innards away?

You dont need a 512mb one, any card that will fit the Garmin will work with the upgrade
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Joetool OP
Gnarly Adventurer

True, But no one that I can find has anything other than 512's at 15.00! But, I just realized a simple work around. I'll have to confirm this when I get mine; I'm going to order a 2gb card without case. Then I need to find someone near denver with a case. I have a 2 part silicone mold material that I can make a non destructive mold from. then I think I can put the new chip in the mold and fill it with a two part epoxy to encapsulate the chip in a coating of case shaped epoxy. Obviously pics are easier than trying to describe it, so I'll do a build thread as soon as I have all the parts in hand in a few weeks...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #23
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Oddometer: 1,722
478 Question...

I'm hoping you fellas can shed some light... I bought a 478 from a fellow ADV'r who had the Lifetime maps update on it internally.. it has no data card. The Lifetime map updates are not transferrable and for one device only(from what Garmin said). Here's my question....

I can't use my computer to transfer routes until both my computer and 478 have the same maps. So... can I delete his Lifetime maps on the internal storage and then upload my Mapsource maps to it that I previously used for my 60Csx??

Or at least delete his maps, and purchase City Nav 2013 to load up on it.. as that's cheaper than these crazy $$ data cards...What should I do ?? I wanna start using this thing!!

Thanks for the help.....

Adventure Tshirts | 3 Step Hideaway |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #24
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I can't use my computer to transfer routes until both my computer and 478 have the same maps. So... can I delete his Lifetime maps on the internal storage and then upload my Mapsource maps to it that I previously used for my 60Csx??.............
OK, don't delete anything, I m pretty sure you can't buy a CD and load them on the internal memory, you could load them on a data card, but NOT to the internal memory. I am pretty sure the only internal updates have to be done over the internet straight from Garmin.

The lifetime is for one unit only, As is all Garmin Software. All Garmin street maps once registered to a unit, can only be used with that unit.

I am not sure if you re-register the unit, if the map update licenses transfer. The solution for this is to ask the previous owner if you can use his sign in name and password. All you would have to do at that point is plug the unit into a USB Port, and make sure you plug it in to the wall charger as well. If it is not plugged in to the wall charger in the unit goes dead part way through the update. it can screw things up good.

Next make sure you have either base camp or map source loaded in your computer, and the Garmin communicator software, and usb drivers. I think it will prompt you to upload these things when you start the process. Or do a Google search and download and install them before hand.

Go to the Garmin's " my dashboard" and sign in using a previous owners info. Garmin should find and recognize the unit, go to the "my maps" tab. There you can find prompts to reload the maps. A couple of steps in to the process, it will ask if you want too load the maps on the unit, unit and computer, or just the computer.

Depending on your Internet speed it can take over an hour to upload everything.

Once that is done and you have current maps I would have the original owner un-register the unit, and try to re-register in your name. Then see if you still have access to the lifetime updates. I would be curious if the license stays with the unit.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post

Once that is done and you have current maps I would have the original owner un-register the unit, and try to re-register in your name. Then see if you still have access to the lifetime updates. I would be curious if the license stays with the unit.
Thanks! I'm not to sure I can get the previous owner's login info.. so if that is the case.. looks like my only option is to buy a data card, and try to upload the City Nav maps I currently have to it and see if it works. Now.. on this unit, what about the tracks/routes/waypoints are they saved on internal memory?? If I get my maps on the unit, should I then delete the PO's maps to free up internal storage... or don't worry about it??

I have 2010 City Nav and the POs maps are 2013... kinda nice but not if I can't use them.. hehe!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
I just put all of city nav 2013.3 on my 378 it is doable but not the traditional way. There is a thread that says how to do it. Once you figure it out its actually easy. I can now load anything up to about 1.9gb onto my units internal memory.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash3r View Post
I have 2010 City Nav and the POs maps are 2013... kinda nice but not if I can't use them.. hehe!
Before you do that, just register it in your name and buy the lifetime up dates in your name I think $89 which is less than a data card. And NO your maps will not load as they are already registered to your current unit. Garmin maps will only work on one unit, without a hack.

I should ask if you have registered the unit yet?? As I am thinking about it, I am sure that when I have bought 276C's in the past and registered them, they show the current licensed maps associated with that unit, I would think the lifetime updates would be the same, and licensed to that unit.

Plug it in and go to the Garmin site.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #28
bash3r
I ain't no DingWeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
Before you do that, just register it in your name and buy the lifetime up dates in your name I think $89 which is less than a data card. And NO your maps will not load as they are already registered to your current unit. Garmin maps will only work on one unit, without a hack.

I should ask if you have registered the unit yet?? As I am thinking about it, I am sure that when I have bought 276C's in the past and registered them, they show the current licensed maps associated with that unit, I would think the lifetime updates would be the same, and licensed to that unit.

Plug it in and go to the Garmin site.
No.. I have not registered it yet.. I'm wondering if its still registered to the PO. Can I unregister my 60Csx, register my 478 and then load my maps up on it? I'm just cringing at buying a prehistoric data card.. lol

Old 01-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,219
If you use Basecamp instead of Mapsource, you don't need to load the maps on your computer. Basecamp will access the maps on your GPS directly.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #30
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
If you use Basecamp instead of Mapsource, you don't need to load the maps on your computer. Basecamp will access the maps on your GPS directly.
Not a 478. Only units that have the ability to mimic a drive, aka "mass storage mode". The OP's best and most cost effective way to get the same maps on both his computer and the 478 is to purchase the lifetime update.

The Weather in my Backyard
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote