Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,463
Compact Petrol Burner Cooker Advice Please

Greetings ADVers

We are down sizing our stuff for traveling two up.

Been looking at MSR stuff etc, whisper, universal, dragonfly bla bla bla.

So I would like to hear something from real world users who have them and a not standing on the retail store floor as they always tell you what you wonna hear.

Any other equivalent brands please bring them to the floor.

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,593
I've had an MSR WhisperLite for 20+ years, maybe 30. Always lights, though it's easier with a little alcohol to preheat it. I've been looking at these, though- http://wildernessinnovation.com/surv...folding-stove/ and http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/S...0Resources.htm and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjdpaO03-SA

Not really a stove... no wait, it is but it's a kettle...no... it's cool but doesn't pack down. http://www.kellykettle.com/

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
coleman 550b or 442 or a svea 123 are the best for bike use IMO
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,450
Are you cooking,or just heating water for drinks,pasta dishes,oatmeal?
This info would help us give you recommendations.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,023
Here is a big thread about stoves: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=stove
Old 12-18-2012, 02:04 AM   #6
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 428
Cool2

Found your RR on the HUBB yesterday... awesome!!! Only on pg7 but very well written Fantastic pics too! Hope all is going well
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
I'm another multiple decade user of the Whisperlight, may not be the be all end all but they have never failed me (have one multifuel and one white gas).

I would also agree with the Seva 123 if you can get your hands on one. I had one of these but in a fit of youthful stupidity sold it. I did keep my Optimus 8R which shares the guts of the 123. It's a great pice but a little large for Moto camping.

The thing about the MSR that I like is that it fits in my cook pot so it doesn't take up any more space than just the pot.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,186
If I was buying a stove right now, I already have about a half dozen so I probably shouldnt , it would be either the Whisperlite Universal or the Primus Omnifuel. See here for a comparison http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....isperlite.html The ability to burn any type of fuel is very appealing. I used a Whisperlite international for years and years, and it still sits in a bag somewhere, ready to go, but I switched over to a canister fuel Primus a couple of years back. I would probalby go for the Primus simply for the ease of switching between fuels. I also use cannister fuel whenever possible, it is just so much better than burning petrol. I have seen both of these in action and they work just as great as their single fuel siblings.. cant go wrong with either.. although they are a bit spendy.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,461
MSR XGK II for the last 15 years, I just replaced the pump/valve assembly because it wasn't coming up to pressure as quick as it used to. Its dead reliable and was among the first stoves to have a shaker jet, now a standard feature in liquid fuel stoves. It has a rigid fuel tube, so it won't fit in my pot, but it isn't very large anyway.
I use the smallest bottle available for cooking with and tap my fuel pump's low pressure return when it needs to be topped up.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 8,242
I've been using a coleman 442 . . . . it IS a bit larger than some, but doesn't require a separate fuel source, and, when it runs low on fule, I've got 6 gallons over on the bike . . . .

Been buring lead-free low test for years . . . . . .never a problem (though I DO have a rebuild kit stashed in the bottom of the saddlebag) . .. .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance.” T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #11
Two Moto Kiwis OP
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
Are you cooking,or just heating water for drinks,pasta dishes,oatmeal?
This info would help us give you recommendations.

JR356
Both, boil water and cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
Damn, thanks mate I searched for ages yesterday and could not find it.

Will have a good read
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
I have been thinking about retiring the Coleman 442, little smaller than your Coleman isn't it?

That Primus Omnifuel looks very interesting. Would have to see some heat output comparisons first vs the Colemans,my very beat up 442 sure puts out the heat. Fast on the coffee in the morning. I already have the 1.5L bottle for a Primus.Does come in handy sometimes when it is full and quickly accessible from the saddlebags.....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
trashysquid
Wanna-be ADV Rider

Oddometer: 17
Awesome small stove...

There's a cat on here named ShadyRascal who makes the "Stever Stove." It's an aluminum methyl alcohol burning stove that's super tiny, strong, and does it's job well. I paid something like $9 USD for it. Just do a search for it and read the reviews...great piece of gear. I also use a piece of ceramic tile that I bought at Home Depot for 20 cents as a platform to put the stove on.
trashysquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #14
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I have a number, started with a coleman and have a couple of MSR, of all the MSR dragonfly is the best for cooking on, the Wisperlite is probably the simplist but not much use for more than heating stuff up quickly, but both of the MSR ones are well made and worth the money.
If I could only have one stove I have a freind who has just bought a cheap multi fuel stove from e bay, does gas/petrol/kero. It was cheap and appears every bit as good as the more expensive ones so much so that I am thinking of getting one myself.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
If I could only have one stove I have a freind who has just bought a cheap multi fuel stove from e bay, does gas/petrol/kero. It was cheap and appears every bit as good as the more expensive ones so much so that I am thinking of getting one myself.
Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camping-Stov...item1c27956a87

Sorry can't read specs like that, it hurts.

Then I go there to see where they may come from, hurts even more....!

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/mult...ing-stove.html

Interesting pic there, looks like they copied the Coleman in rather large quantities. Wonder if they have spare parts.....!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/22...uel_Stove.html

I am sure Andi & Ellen will come up with something good, then I'll listen.