Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

Oddometer: 99
The reason I use avgas 100LL is because it has no ethanol and will last a long time. Remember VP racing at the pump (tanks in the ground) it will have ethanol in it. Now if you buy it by the drum or out of a drum all is good.
TXNMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNMGUY View Post
The reason I use avgas 100LL is because it has no ethanol and will last a long time. Remember VP racing at the pump (tanks in the ground) it will have ethanol in it. Now if you buy it by the drum or out of a drum all is good.
Do you have any documentation to this or just heard it from someone?

I know our local in ground, pump dispensed, VP race gas is ethanol free. I took a sample to work and had them run it through the fuel lab. They typically just test pump gas. He came back asking what this stuff was? I told him and then he went "oh, that makes sense then". Something about no ethanol and off the chart on octane as he wasn't expecting it to come in that high. I didn't bother having him to run it again. I also got ahold of VP and got a fuel report about the load in the ground once. Took a talk to the store manager to get the VP contact for that store, but I got it.

Yes, I have done way more research on the in ground VP gas then most people would do. Cleared up some local rumors as well.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Tosh Togo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,594
Quote:
Just because the vendor puts the fuel in an underground tank does NOT mean that there will ethanol in it. If you stop for a second and think about it, doing so would be setting the stage for water absorption, tank problems from rust, and a lot of PO'd racers.

-If you find an underground tank of VP race fuel mit ethanol, please feel free to supply a pic of the tank label and the product number from the vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Do you have any documentation to this or just heard it from someone?
Documentation, as requested- MSDS Avgas 100LL - Shell

Shell Avgas 100ll Piston Engine Aircraft Fuel

Avgas sold for general aviation has to be stable in storage, as most small private aircraft will spend a lot of time in a hangar.

There's no need to pickle the gas, unless it's gonna be a hangar queen for a long time.

Tosh Togo screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 02:59 PM
Tosh Togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

I was refering to documentation to ethanol in the in-ground VP tank
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #20
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,616
Be very careful not to run 100LL in a road vehicle. There's a $10,000 fine if you're caught.

The LL designation is only low against straight 100 avgas. 100 LL has approximately four times the lead of leaded premium motor gas when it was available -- 1.2 to 2 grams per gallon.

Be careful handling parts that have come in contact with 100LL. This is toxic stuff.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

I do not have documentation, just heard it from a local VP dealer that sells it by the drum and I asked the store manager and he said it had ethanol in it. He stated if the tanks are in the ground it is a govt. requirement to have ethanol in it.

Do not use avgas in a street vehicle, just a little 2 stroke ty250.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,616
Quote:
I do not have documentation, just heard it from a local VP dealer that sells it by the drum and I asked the store manager and he said it had ethanol in it. He stated if the tanks are in the ground it is a govt. requirement to have ethanol in it.

Even autogas (some planes are certified for it under a special type certificate) used in aviation is not allowed to have ethanol, and it is certainly not in 100LL. If you think ethanol is a horror story on bikes, the effects would be far worse on aircraft. That's the type of thing that causes 'em to fly like a piano.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #23
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I spent a little time searching for any laws that require underground tanks to contain ethanol. I can't find any.
Having the local by the drum dealer make that comment wouldn't surprise me, it helps his sales and is hard to disprove. As for the station manager comment, he may be a big enough idiot to order oxygenated race gas. The local VP dealer may have talked him into it just to keep the by the drum sales up.

There are simple ethanol tests that can be done to see if the claim is true. Measured amount of water, add measured amout of suspect fuel, mix (shake), let settle. The water will pull the ethanol out of the hydrocarbons. Increase in water(/ethanol) can be used to calculate the percentage in the sample.

Unless someone can find a copy of some wierd law in print I call BS on that one. There are too many rumors, heard it from (someone who may not know, has a reason to say that for his own gain, etc.) for me to be comfortable with. I know I had to work hard to get contacts, printed documentation, even independant testing. The station may in fact be selling oxygenated fuel, but I can't find anything that says they have to (unless they are selling it for street use).
Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
TXNMGUY
dirt dobber

I think you just nailed it. A person can pull up to the VP pumps I am talking about, fill the tank and drive off into the sunset on public highways. These pumps are next to the motorsports ranch in Cresson, Tx.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #25
laser17
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
You can buy straight unleaded gas via pumps w/o ethanol, so would have to assume race gas would be OK too.
http://pure-gas.org/
laser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #26
nwcycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I have been way off.....

I have been using off road diesel in mine...
nwcycle is offline   Reply With Quote