User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #13861
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Hi cat,
I'm sorry! As your location says 'Vienna, Austria' I thought you'd be a local from Austria. But have a look for a guy nicknamed 'Neetro' in our German forum. He's a nice guy and lives in Vienna, too. Although his roots are not far from my location here at Linz.
If you don't want to register in a forum with an unknown language, please let me know. I could get you in contact with him. As he's running a PC-service, you might also contact him via his website (afaik he's named it in his signum) ...
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 AM   #13862
treborbig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Treborbig

Hey spen ok pm sent ..?did send i thought, its on my end, obviously not yours.Thanks Again
treborbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #13863
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Page 5 ... that's much too far behind. Time to ride the Queen of thumpers back to front!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #13864
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Guys, I need some help here.
I suspect my Mikuni fuel pump is spoilt.

Is it normal for the fuel to flow through from the inlet and out the outlet when the bike is not running?
I have tried to reconnect it the opposite way, and fuel flows through into the outlet tube and out the inlet tube!!!!

After rebuilding the Mikuni fuel pump using the repair kit with the brown plastic diaphams, I got the same result, petrol flows through as though it was a normal pipe.

Now if the pump is a goner, can this pump be used to replace the original fuel pump?
It's got 2 outlet tubes though and the flow is 65 Litres per hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300801776631...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
Old 12-16-2012, 07:05 AM   #13865
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Hello Silent Hunter,

if you're not in desperate need of your Big as a daily driver: take a short time and wait for comments of wiser fellows here. You probably save some money. As far as I understand it fuel always goes through the pump although it's only needed when the level of fuel in the tank is lower than the position of the carbs. But I can't tell you if there is also a flow of fuel if the engine is not running. Me, I would expect a flow as the SR 41 models suffer from fuel in the engine-oil if the rubber seals of the needle-valves are shot and you forget to turn the petcock to 'off'.

Sorry as I can't give more advice. This is what I know up to this moment. I'm also fiddling in this area as the right half of my tank usually stops providing fuel to the left half and to the carbs if the level gets lower than 2/3s of it's contents. Thus I'm carrying around some 10 litres of fuel for nothing ... At the moment I'm adressing this phenomenon to a partwise blocked fuel-pipe in the tank.

Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-16-2012, 09:38 PM   #13866
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hello Silent Hunter,

if you're not in desperate need of your Big as a daily driver: take a short time and wait for comments of wiser fellows here. You probably save some money. As far as I understand it fuel always goes through the pump although it's only needed when the level of fuel in the tank is lower than the position of the carbs. But I can't tell you if there is also a flow of fuel if the engine is not running. Me, I would expect a flow as the SR 41 models suffer from fuel in the engine-oil if the rubber seals of the needle-valves are shot and you forget to turn the petcock to 'off'.

Sorry as I can't give more advice. This is what I know up to this moment. I'm also fiddling in this area as the right half of my tank usually stops providing fuel to the left half and to the carbs if the level gets lower than 2/3s of it's contents. Thus I'm carrying around some 10 litres of fuel for nothing ... At the moment I'm adressing this phenomenon to a partwise blocked fuel-pipe in the tank.

Kind regards, Bambi
Bro, can you run your bike on reserve until the left tank is totally empty but the right tank is still 2/3 full?
If you can, it means the hose that links the 2 tanks is blocked. It's a simple matter to dismount the tanks and change/ flush the hose.

If you got 1/3 fuel left in both tanks and the bike is starved of fuel. Chances are your fuel pump is shot. :(

I had this problem early this year with the fuel pump. The bike will still run as long as there is enough fuel to provide pressure in the fuel tank.
What my mech did to solve the problem temporally while I order the re-build kit to arrive was to link the hose from the fuel tank to the carb inlet and let the gravity pull the petrol in.

However, once the fuel has 10 Liters or less, it stops running. My mech had advised me to keep the fuel fully topped up, but I figured I should be able to make it back home with 2/3 tank. I found out the hard way when the bike stalled on the way home and I had to push the bike 2km back uphill to the nearest petrol station.

Silent Hunter screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 10:46 PM
Silent Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #13867
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
Guys, I need some help here.
I suspect my Mikuni fuel pump is spoilt.

Is it normal for the fuel to flow through from the inlet and out the outlet when the bike is not running?
I have tried to reconnect it the opposite way, and fuel flows through into the outlet tube and out the inlet tube!!!!

After rebuilding the Mikuni fuel pump using the repair kit with the brown plastic diaphams, I got the same result, petrol flows through as though it was a normal pipe.

Now if the pump is a goner, can this pump be used to replace the original fuel pump?
It's got 2 outlet tubes though and the flow is 65 Litres per hour.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300801776631...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr
dont know about that model pump..

i have this one on my bike this last 18 months and its working well
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kart-Rotax...item53f02b2427
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #13868
Silent Hunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Kyle.
Can you check to see if the fuel starts flowing through the pump and out the other end when you turn the fuel cock on, even with the engine off?

My pentagon shaped fuel pump does that and even after a rebuild using the 'Polaris' rebuild kit, it still allows fuel to flow backwards the other way, (which I feel should not be the case with the 1-way valves) although after the rebuild the petrol does not flow backwards in a stream, but as a slow trickle.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #13869
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Hello Silent Hunter,

the easy things are all checked, the rubber-pipes are all free, the pet-cock provides a good flow as long as the tank is full of petrol, the air-valves of the filler-caps are not blocked. As far as I understood the system, there could be only 2 more possibilities:
No. 1: The quick-detachable connector has collected dirt. I forgot to check it when I checked all the other components.
No. 2: There are some small diameter metal-pipes inside of the tank on both sides. You can see them leaving the tank were the rubber-pipes are connected. It seems to be a common failure that these metal-pipes get blocked by dirt. As they are of very small diameter it's not easy to push a wire through them, especially because of the double-curve at their entrance into the tank. I once tried and it seemed to work but only one or two times. Then it seemed that the dirt had found it's way back into the pipe.
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #13870
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Hi guys Mark (800rider) has his DR going again for those of you who remember Him (op of this thread)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130451154

He also says hello to you all
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #13871
kyle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter View Post
Thanks Kyle.
Can you check to see if the fuel starts flowing through the pump and out the other end when you turn the fuel cock on, even with the engine off?

My pentagon shaped fuel pump does that and even after a rebuild using the 'Polaris' rebuild kit, it still allows fuel to flow backwards the other way, (which I feel should not be the case with the 1-way valves) although after the rebuild the petrol does not flow backwards in a stream, but as a slow trickle.
yes petrol will pass through even with engine off..i just got intohabit of turning fuel tap off when i stop
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #13872
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
yes petrol will pass through even with engine off..i just got intohabit of turning fuel tap off when i stop
+1 ...

also, the o-ring in the carb tends to get square ... I had a small leak for hundred of miles, just turning of the tap off was fine. and then one morning it was litteraly flowing on my feet when opening the tap.
MrPopples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #13873
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Hi there,
problem is, that on the SR 41 (and 42 - I'm not quite sure?) with a worn o-ring in the floating-valve the petrol gets into the engine oil as there is no overflow from the carb to the outside. The level of fuel rises until it reaches the inlet, passes the valves and the piston-rings and mixes with the oil. So always close the petcock on the early models!!!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 12-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #13874
Resi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hi there,
problem is, that on the SR 41 (and 42 - I'm not quite sure?) with a worn o-ring in the floating-valve the petrol gets into the engine oil as there is no overflow from the carb to the outside.
Sadly including the SR42. If availlable change float bowl to a SR43 type carb to prevent the engine oil thinned with gas...

Cheers,
Lars
Resi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #13875
ausibatla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Re Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
Hi guys Mark (800rider) has his DR going again for those of you who remember Him (op of this thread)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130451154

He also says hello to you all
Thanks Dino. This is a message to 800 rider.

G'day Mark,
good to see you got the old girl up and running again. I knew it wouldn't take too long.
All the best to you and yours for Chrissy and the New Year.
Cheers,
Lloyd.

ausibatla screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 04:52 PM
ausibatla is offline   Reply With Quote