ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #451
B1
Carbon-based bipedal
 
B1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Arse-trailer
Oddometer: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I finally got the Baja Designs SII LED Combo Lights wired up, needless to say it's just what the doctor ordered and am VERY happy with their output.
nice setup, lost. strangely that pic reminded me of an alien encounter on an adventure ride last year. he (or it) was very nice about it... a glass of wine, a bit of chit chat before the probing started, and even let me take a photo afterwards. but your lighting setup makes me think it wasn't a alien craft he was riding but just a dolled up berg? who knows...

__________________
Sure we trials riders have smaller knobs but we know how to use them - get into trials here
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #452
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!
 
Mr_Chris's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post

Looks exactly the same ignition as mine, here's where the North America FE570S plugs in:
I traced it and the wires get lost going into the main harness.


Mine looks much different than that. I have a couple wires (starter button) wired to a homemade key mounted in the mask at present. But I wanted to interrupt the ignition, not just the starter motor, which is what I think the other pair in the key switch is for... I have no 4-pin square molex-looking connectors like that in my front harness other than the headlamps, though... The starter button is off an inline-4 connector on the main bracket. I will probably have to hook up with an electrically oriented berg mechanic or something. Mines almost as messy as yours.
__________________
Lusting for: 2015 Tiger XCX (Ordered, Blue)
Current: 2012 Berg FE570, 2010 Street Triple R (wifey), 2011 Tiger 800 XC -- O YEA!
Sold: 1975 CT90, 2008 XVS650, 2007 Rocket III Classic, 2010 Rocket III Roadster
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #453
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 260
Snow Riding

So, I've decided to ride my FE570S the entire winter this year to work every day if at all possible. So far, it has been seven degrees on morning, raining another, and snowing this week resulting in riding on solid ice. You know what, it has been fun and a little challenging, but the weight distribution on this bike makes it handle quite well, even on the ice.

I have no real good reason for doing this, I have two 4x4 pickups sitting at home, but I'm enjoying the challenge and it is amusing me. Besides, I truthfully love riding, even in the cold, wet, and in the snow too.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #454
D K
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: On a big white boat with 2 Gas Gas 300's
Oddometer: 463
Mine is an 09 USA with no key..

Does the above kit work for mine as well?

David
__________________
------------------------
'13 EC300 Racing
’07 950SE - sold
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #455
70°Stefano
n00b
 
70°Stefano's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Germany/Sauerland
Oddometer: 3
What a nice thread here.
Best regards from the cold and wet germany.
70°Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #456
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,146
That's great B1!




Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Besides, I truthfully love riding, even in the cold, wet, and in the snow too.

Hey Brian, that'a a great idea to commute on your 'berg year round to get a mini-adventure in each day. Cold, Wet, frozen? sounds like a good day riding to me, will make those times between "free" rides more enjoyable. I rode year round when I lived in Chicago and understand completely.

I actually just wired up my Gerbings gear on the Husa seeing as I already had the stuff, my heated jacket fits under my hard armor... only need to run the jacket on low setting. yeah I'm a pussy but it's been very cold at high elevations nearby and makes cold riding completely comfy and will be awesome for my upcoming winter travels. Gerbings goes into backpack when I get to the trail or not needed. I do have to keep an eye on my power consumption, but i can run heated grips + jacket on high and one of my lights at once, or dial them back to run all 3 lights. I love this bike!





Been riding quite a bit lately, loving the new light setup, I aint' scared of the dark anymore!

Loving the Tractionator tires too. Awesome traction on terrain they intended for, not bad in SoCal desert mud considering folks say they are just horrible, they clear out once you get moving just a little bit. We don't have much mud riding in the area very often, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews would have had me believe.
Was on wet/snow covered, very rocky and a little muddy/hardpack single track yesterday too, Tractionator's were great. Been riding on wet twisty paved mountain roads a little to get to the trail, I can't feel a bit of difference from any other aggressive DOT knobby on wet or dry pavement. Not scary for me, just normal.
Should be a good all around tire for me for traveling in this area.


Good things planned for this winter on the Berg...



__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 07:14 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #457
crazyshannon
Adventurer
 
crazyshannon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 49
Hey guys... I started a thread in the tech section but haven't gotten a lot of responses. I'm looking to to increase oil capacity for my adventure Husa. I'm sort of intrigued by the frame job solution by Cyrus Anderson, and I found a motorcycle frame guy who said he would do it. But someone else suggested an oil cooler, then someone else on the thread I started said that my oil can be overcooled to negative effect.

What do you guys think?

oh and here's what my husa looks like, for good measure


crazyshannon screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 11:25 AM
crazyshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #458
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 260
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshannon View Post
Hey guys... I started a thread in the tech section but haven't gotten a lot of responses. I'm looking to to increase oil capacity for my adventure Husa. I'm sort of intrigued by the frame job solution by Cyrus Anderson, and I found a motorcycle frame guy who said he would do it. But someone else suggested an oil cooler, then someone else on the thread I started said that my oil can be undercooled to negative effect.

What do you guys think?
Like yourself, I like the oil cooler and frame idea, but I have heard of the issue with the negine oil overcooling. I would love to find out it that would be an issue. My bike runs great and heat really hasn't been an issue for me, so I think it might be a possibility. Largere oil capacity for more life betweenn changes would be really nice though. I like what you are thinking.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #459
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead
 
mrt10x's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshannon View Post
then someone else on the thread I started said that my oil can be undercooled to negative effect.

What do you guys think?
Everyone here is sort of waiting for an "Oil solution" .. Has anyone ever tried to get in touch with the guy who actually did the oil in frame solution? I know that Bajadad talked about working on an oil cooler, and if your read Walter Colebatch's current ride report he discusses using his 570 more in the future as an adeventure bike and I know LukasM is planning a RTW trip on his 570.

This has been discussed many time on all the Husa forums/threads I follow,,,here, TT, and husaberg.org, but no one has come up with a real solution yet... I am betting on Lukas and Walter getting someone to take it on..they seem to get things done.

I am not sure what you mean by the above quote?
__________________
We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.
mrt10x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 AM   #460
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
That's great B1!







Hey Brian, that'a a great idea to commute on your 'berg year round to get a mini-adventure in each day. Cold, Wet, frozen? sounds like a good day riding to me, will make those times between "free" rides more enjoyable. I rode year round when I lived in Chicago and understand completely.

I actually just wired up my Gerbings gear on the Husa seeing as I already had the stuff, my heated jacket fits under my hard armor... only need to run the jacket on low setting. yeah I'm a pussy but it's been very cold at high elevations nearby and makes cold riding completely comfy and will be awesome for my upcoming winter travels. Gerbings goes into backpack when I get to the trail or not needed. I do have to keep an eye on my power consumption, but i can run heated grips + jacket on high and one of my lights at once, or dial them back to run all 3 lights. I love this bike!





Been riding quite a bit lately, loving the new light setup, I aint' scared of the dark anymore!

Loving the Tractionator tires too. Awesome traction on terrain they intended for, not bad in SoCal desert mud considering folks say they are just horrible, they clear out once you get moving just a little bit. We don't have much mud riding in the area very often, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews would have had me believe.
Was on wet/snow covered, very rocky and a little muddy/hardpack single track yesterday too, Tractionator's were great. Been riding on wet twisty paved mountain roads a little to get to the trail, I can't feel a bit of difference from any other aggressive DOT knobby on wet or dry pavement. Not scary for me, just normal.
Should be a good all around tire for me for traveling in this area.


Good things planned for this winter on the Berg...
I like the heated riding gear idea. Keep us posted about how that works out please. I've been considering that, and I found a suit that only used 65 watts on the high setting, then I lost the link. I'll check out the Gerbings.

kaia screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:49 PM
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #461
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshannon View Post
Hey guys... I started a thread in the tech section but haven't gotten a lot of responses. I'm looking to to increase oil capacity for my adventure Husa. I'm sort of intrigued by the frame job solution by Cyrus Anderson, and I found a motorcycle frame guy who said he would do it. But someone else suggested an oil cooler, then someone else on the thread I started said that my oil can be undercooled to negative effect.
What do you guys think?
I have a few goodies in the garage and will be testing soon.

My goal is extra capacity.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #462
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post

I like the heated riding gear idea. Keep us posted about how that works out please. I've been considering that, and I found a suit that only used 65 watts on the high setting, then I lost the link. I'll check out the Gerbings.
The Gerbings jacket liner is listed at 77 watts, but with the jacket under my armor directly compressed against my skin it's only been needed to run it at 5-25% on the controller so far. I haven't tested the draw with my amp clamp, but I'd imagine it's not pulling anywhere near 77 watts at these low settings.

Warm and comfy without needing to bulk up with layers works for me.




I've PM'd Cyrus a while back about his oil mod, never heard back from him...



After my last Baja run with 2800 miles on the oil, the analysis came back OK once again except for my high levels of lead caused by running a tank of race fuel and questionable mexican gasoline.

It wouldn't take much additional oil in the Husa's to have safe 3000 mile intervals between changes I believe.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #463
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
The Gerbings jacket liner is listed at 77 watts, but with the jacket under my armor directly compressed against my skin it's only been needed to run it at 5-25% on the controller so far. I haven't tested the draw with my amp clamp, but I'd imagine it's not pulling anywhere near 77 watts at these low settings.

Warm and comfy without needing to bulk up with layers works for me.




I've PM'd Cyrus a while back about his oil mod, never heard back from him...



After my last Baja run with 2800 miles on the oil, the analysis came back OK once again except for my high levels of lead caused by running a tank of race fuel and questionable mexican gasoline.

It wouldn't take much additional oil in the Husa's to have safe 3000 mile intervals between changes I believe.
Thanks for doing those oil analysis tests by the way. I've just extended my mileage between oil changes based on your data. I'm running Motorex as recommended by Husaberg. I'd been changing it at 1200 miles, but I just went 2000 based on your data. I didn't have it tested, but no debris period in the screens or in the filter which I cut open and checked. The magnet had the normal grey powder on it, but nothing else. I think I'll run a little further on the oil, the stuff aint cheap these days.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #464
crazyshannon
Adventurer
 
crazyshannon's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Has anyone ever tried to get in touch with the guy who actually did the oil in frame solution?....

I am not sure what you mean by the above quote?
whoops sorry I meant overcooled. haha.

I have tried to contact Mr Anderson the frame guy, haven't had much luck. I did read somewhere that the bike was sold, not sure if that is true or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I have a few goodies in the garage and will be testing soon.

My goal is extra capacity.
nice!! Like... a liter of extra capacity? Cuz that's what I'm looking for. In something you can put in a UPS box and sell to me? Because I'm likely not handy enough to work it all out on my own

What do you guys think of the frame thing? What sort of things could go wrong with this situation? Will I be able to "drain" the frame when I go to change my oil? I think it's a gorgeous idea, but I'm not mechanic, and so I don't fully understand what the cons are so to say.

In other news, I haven't yet decided on my luggage options. I wrote Wolfman asking what the closest rack would be to the Husa for the Expedition Dry Saddlebag, as it seemed like a more elegant solution than the Rolies... you can pack a bigger bag, and be less fussy with clips and straps which gets tedious when you have to do it weeks on end... and they told me they sell rack components which fit perfectly into their clips! So I will order those and have a rack made for the bike. I think I could make it myself out of PVC piping too, but first I will check the price on what a welder would want to do a nice job.
crazyshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #465
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
RememberTheFallen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 374
Finn,

What oil are you running to get that mileage? Looked back but couldn't find anything. I am using Rotella T right now. I am thinking it will be easy to find oil to change when out on the road since it is available from auto parts stores. I have a Blackstone Lab oil thingy that I was going to use for my truck but I may have to use this one for my bike to check out how Rotella performs.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014