Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #436
commander51
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
By the way... Rudy absolutely a top notch guy, former bike racer, super experienced, and I'd say would be super gentle in the truck around bikers. The other driver Mark is a good guy but I do not know his moto background if any.

And being buddies with many car/truck racers, hearing stories, and having ridden in a TT I gotta say it's not all on the drivers shoulders to keep the bikers safe. What some bikers do in front of race cars is absolutly crazy insane. Bikers will try to keep the truck behind them, they'll jackrabbit the truck, they'll do stupid shit like wear headphones for music or ear plugs when racing and don't have a clue, and they'll pull back onto the course after getting passed when it's still dusty without getting a real good look at what's coming from miles OR YARDS back.
Not trying to start a debate, that debate was a few years ago post Baja 500...

I couldn't agree with you more about "What some bikers do in front of race cars is absolutly crazy insane" but I think the issue he had was with one truck in particular and I will tell you Matt is one hell of a rider and knows what these trucks are capable of, so I doubt very highly he was trying to out run or play jackrabbit with the truck. Very poor judgment on someones part driving the truck is all I think was trying to be conveyed. But thanks for the tutorial on what moto guys are capable of Not trying to start a argument, just sayin is all.
commander51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #437
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
By the way... Rudy absolutely a top notch guy, former bike racer, super experienced, and I'd say would be super gentle in the truck around bikers. The other driver Mark is a good guy but I do not know his moto background if any.

And being buddies with many car/truck racers, hearing stories, and having ridden in a TT I gotta say it's not all on the drivers shoulders to keep the bikers safe. What some bikers do in front of race cars is absolutly crazy insane. Bikers will try to keep the truck behind them, they'll jackrabbit the truck, they'll do stupid shit like wear headphones for music or ear plugs when racing and don't have a clue, and they'll pull back onto the course after getting passed when it's still dusty without getting a real good look at what's coming from miles OR YARDS back.
I take some responsibility for what happened and shit happens during a race. It sucked and I'm glad I'm ok. Like I said on another thread he did try and go around me and slide back into the track. I should have been out of his way. So yes it was rider error but in the end he is in a truck, passing a rider, he made a mistake and hit me. Luckily it didn't end my race and just screwed with my head for awhile.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #438
B1KSOLO
1 down 4 up right?

Oddometer: 312
Quote:

Btw Tim..... I don't know this guy and I'm sure he's a solid guy, no ones even sure who was driving at the time, but if and person runs into a biker (a human being) with a 4000lb truck accidentally or prosperously, whether it the riders fault or not and doesn't stop to see if the rider is okay or needs help and leaves him out in the desert to fend for himself, this is -uck up imho. I raced for a lot of years and had my share of mishaps in which with I had to own and I don't see any ownership here

B1KSOLO screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 05:23 PM
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #439
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,744
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #440
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 392
@ strongbad
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #441
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
Sorry... wasnt trying to instigate anything. Just thought that any issues should at least be taken up with the right parties.

Congrats again Matt. And thanks for the race report, cant wait to hear the rest.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:06 PM   #442
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Oddometer: 367
In and out. San Ignacio

This pit was classic. We rolled in at about 1:30-2:00 am and stupidly set up at the end of an outside curve where the course was on pavement. We set chairs up at the tail of the truck facing traffic. Every time a TT or buggy came whipping around the curve Fano and I would tense up and get ready to dive out of the way. Yeah right! The race vehicle would pass and we would both comment " we should probably move" and then we would nod off until the next roar of motor came.

Stikars?
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Kanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #443
dumbgirl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
LOL!! Frog, remember when we were waiting for Philo to come in to the pit some time in the night, and those Mexicans built a fire on an outside corner only to have a TT truck come in hot, spitting a rooster tail 20 feet high of sand, gravel and Tecate cans that put out their fire? We're like "that will teach them". 30 min later, they got another fire going in the same place only to have the next TT come through, put out their fire, sending them all scattering for their lives again??? VIVA MEXICO!! GOD I love that place.
dumbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #444
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Wait'n for Matt

Hello, is anyone out there? The rest must just be a blur?
Has anyone seen Matt? Maybe the RPM goons have take'n him?

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #445
frog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOGOI View Post
Hello, is anyone out there? The rest must just be a blur?
Has anyone seen Matt? Maybe the RPM goons have take'n him?
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.

It's coming. I was a single dad last week so things were a little crazy. I figured it's was in my best interest to give Mrs. Frog a break so I sent her to a Green Bay Packers game and to visit a friend. I have to make sure to keep her happy so when I say "honey, I said if I finished I was done but I think I want to solo the 1000 again" she doesnt leave me. Lucky for me she REALLY wants to chase it so I don't think I'm done.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #446
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Just catching this thread.. That night I was waching the live race results trying to figure out where the hell the coverage and spot links for Matt were.. My buddies were SPT CAR— 3. Marc Van Tassell, Ely, Nev./Ryan Davis, Bountiful, Utah/Dave Helm, Taylorsville, Utah/Darren Webster, Salt Lake City, Utah/Kurt Williams, Sandy, Utah, VW Sedan, 42:02:09. (11 Starters, 3 Finishers)

This is sick. Nice work Matt
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #447
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Sorry Frog, I have been slammed with work but my photo uploads are still coming slowly. I have so much video from the pits that I'm trying to edit also.
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #448
Kanook
Adventure zymologist

Here are a couple pics from San Isidro rm782. After a long hard night on the bike this was our first daylight pit on day two.
In at 9:33 am and out at 9:48
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355869230.985911.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  53.2 KB

Stikars?
'71 SL100 custom
'65 cb160
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #449
Kanook
Adventure zymologist