Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:03 PM   #16
///Monster
Does it have wheels?

Oddometer: 56
You should know that the blackhills will be full of motorcycle riders for the annual Sturgis bike rally. I don't know if that is something that you're wanting to hit or not. It could be seriously cool or seriously uncool, depending on your views but one thing is for sure it is huge huge huge and I believe it happens at the end of July.

If you're looking for natural wonders and sites to see. I would suggest these:

Ride across the great salt flats on highway 50.
Ride the tioga pass in yosemite national park.
Ride trail ridge road in colorado
Ride to the top of Mt. Evans, CO - highest paved road in the world. 14,000+ ft.
Ride to the top of Pikes Peak, CO - another paved road to 14,000 ft.
Ride through Yellowstone National Park and see the Old Faithful geyser
Stop and see the Grand Canyon
Mesa Verde National Park has some cool cliff dwellings to look at
Cook your skin in the Mojave Desert or see Death Valley
See giant California Redwood trees
There are a few hot springs around Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota that you and the lady might like.
If you have time ride through the western half of Montana, it is gorgeous country
Depending on when and where or if you'll be in Nebraska, you could encounter the Sandhills Open Road Challenge featuring a 55 mile course of closed off highways. This happens in August.
Countless delicious microbreweries in the rocky mountains states especially

All of those places are west of the great plains states. I'm planning a western US route in June and most of those places are on my list. I've been scouting roads and sights to see for the last few weeks.

///Monster screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 02:11 PM
///Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Ted

Thanks very much for the suggestions. For sure I will be doing the research on them and chances are excellent that some of them will be visited as they lie more or less along the present notional path. The idea of riding at 14,000' appeals, just to say I have done it! I have eleven weeks off work and although I am tempted to ask for more, it could be prejudicial to my continued gainful employment!

Yes, I am aware that Sturgis is on and have timed our arrival in SD for 13 August on the premise that things will be a bit quieter. Am I mistaken? I am also aware that there are some Harley Davidson rides around August/September time and ditto evasive action has been planned!

Best wishes for your own plans! Hope you have a fantastic experience and a safe ride.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #18
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Jacket and Pants - Check!

For a little while already my better half has been equipped with BMW jacket and pants. This was made possible by timely sales events at the local BMW dealership which, on those occasions, just happened to have just one left of her size. Since then I have been hunting for the same outcome for myself, but that hope has not materialised.

I have therefore spent many hours on the internet looking what the market offers. What an amazing array of styles, price-points and - importantly - opinions for and against! The decision had been narrowed to something from Olympia, Tourmaster or, if feeling generous to myself, Alpinestars.

This morning the local BMW dealership had a sale and I debated with myself for some while whether I should lash out on a slightly discounted BMW Rallye 3 jacket, but no matching pants available. The salesman, Stefan, offered suggestions and advice but was not at all pushy, which I appreciated. I decided against it and at home once again jumped on the internet.

Now Stefan had said some rather positive things about the Alpinestars Durban Goretex gear. Google threw up the www.motostorm.it site and... they were having a sale! After deducting the 19% tax and adding a very reasonable Euros39 for postage (jacket and pants) I put them in my cart and checked out! For slightly more than the cost of the Rallye jacket alone, I have a jacket AND pants. That works for me. I hope the sizing is right!

duncanmac screwed with this post 12-08-2012 at 12:59 AM Reason: Corrected the name of motostorm
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #19
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Electronic Cruise Control

My R1200RT came standard with an electronic cruise control, a feature I very much appreciated on the open road. It was a significant disappointment that BMW do not have this as an option on the GSA.

HOWEVER, a number of my fellow BMW Club members spoke glowingly, and pointed me in the direction, of www.mccruise.com which a) happens to make electronic cruise controls for the GSA as well as quite a number of other bikes; b) will fit for a fee c) are located within fifteen minutes of home. Google searching revealed that these guys sell around the world and, surprisingly for a small Australian outfit, seem to be the go-to guys globally for after-market motorcycle cruise controls.

I dropped the bike off on Monday morning and collected it that evening. Great chaps to deal with. The fitting is neatly and professionally done and it works like a charm. They do sell the kit alone and say that anyone who is reasonably competent in reading and basic wrenching can fit it themselves in six to seven hours, which is what some of my club mates have done.

It was not cheap, weighing in at a fraction over A$1,500 fitted, but I know that when laying down the miles across the USA, I will consider it money well spent.

http://www.macofmelbourne.com/photos...-the-bike.html

(One day I will learn how to post pics in the thread. Until then, a link to my webpage will have to suffice. Sorry :-( )
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #20
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
{snip}

http://www.macofmelbourne.com/photos...-the-bike.html

(One day I will learn how to post pics in the thread. Until then, a link to my webpage will have to suffice. Sorry :-( )
If you have a link to a photo, then here is how to post it.
In the editing icons above the text entry area you should see a small square with mountain, yellow sky, and a sun/moon/star in the upper right. If you mouse over it it will say 'Insert Image'.
Click on it; paste the url of your image; click OK.
Your image will appear in the text area where the text insertion point is, like this:

-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink Delorme Inreach Satellite Tracker

My better half is a little anxious about being in the middle of nowhere and me becoming incapacitated. How does she get help? Peace of mind comes with something like a satellite tracker and Delorme seems to be the best on offer for the personal user. BUT.....

For reasons I am still trying to explore, Delorme has different plans for different countries. The USA Seasonal Plan is exactly what I am after in terms of service offering and price yet when I went to open my account my computer was directed to the website of the Australian agent, Pivotel. This is where my blood pressure started to rise and my pills did not bring it down again.

The offering via Pivotel does not include a seasonal plan and those which are and match the Delorme plans are stingier and cost a great deal more, in the main. The Basic plan being the worst offender.

My questions as to why this is so have been answered with what appear to be guesses. As a banker involved in credit assessment and decisioning for corporations, I have a pretty good grasp on what impacts costing and so far all respondees have failed. If I ever get an acceptable answer I will post it here.

Delorme will give me a USA plan if I can give them a USA credit card with a USA address. The latter is easy and the former is more difficult, but I am working on it. There are plan's B and C and I WILL NOT be robbed by Pivotel Australia.

Any suggestions as to the best mount, or should I just put it in my tank bag?

PS Thanks ceej, for explaining how to post photos.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
PS Thanks ceej, for explaining how to post photos.
You are welcome.
Did I miss why you chose Delorian over SPOT? Just curious.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #23
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

DeLorme Inreach Satellite Tracker (Part Two)

Done and dusted, as we Aussies say. The Inreach is connected and working - and on a USA plan, too.

I selected one of my credit card providers, called them up and said I needed to attach a USA address to my card and explained about my impending trip. They were just so helpful, what a pleasure dealing with them. I went back to DeLorme and said I was ready to proceed. They tickled their computer and gave me the green light. I soon had the unit activated and conducted a test message with DeLorme (free) and my son (part of the month's quota). Yesterday I went for a spin with the unit in my pocket (mount still on its way) and it accurately tracked my progress across town. Happy camper!

@ Ceej: the decision favouring DeLorme over Spot was quite easy, notwithstanding the extra cost. The Iridium satellite network used by DeLorme is 100% global, whereas Spot is not. Even where Spot does provide coverage, which is most of the world, satellite acquisition would seem to be less reliable and usually slower, simply because they have fewer birds in the sky.

The clinchers were that DeLorme, operated standalone, acknowledges an SOS; and when paired with a smart phone, one can send AND receive SMS/email. Case closed!

I have until now been focussed on the date of our flight to Los Angeles. This week I realised with something of a start that it is only four and a half months to packing the bike in the container. I have therefore ceased waiting for the price of the Zumo 665 to fall and I placed the order on Friday night. The mounts have also been ordered and within a week or two we will be ready for a shakedown trip up country somewhere.

More photos when the electronics are mounted.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:06 AM   #24
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pillion Comfort

She who must be obeyed will, as perhaps previously stated, be spending four weeks with me on the crossing from West to East, with a significant southerly detour on the way, as far as the Grand Canyon. She has already, with justification, passed unfavourable judgement on the standard BMW top box cushioning. As a happy pillion is an essential on a ride lasting anything longer than about twenty five minutes, something needed to be done.

I called upon a local auto upholsterer who said it was all too easy and produced something far more substantial as can be seen in the photo. It cost twice what BMW charged, but it is tailor made and with a production run of one there are no economies of scale. Indeed, one always pays a premium for a custom job.

Hopefully it does the trick.

duncanmac screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 01:08 AM Reason: Corrected a typo
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #25
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Navigation Aids

The Garmin Zumo 665 and DeLorme Inreach Satellite navigator/communicator arrived a couple of weeks ago and were duly mounted; although I am still awaiting the locable Touratech mount coming from my favourite source in Germany. (NOT Touratech).

I have made the acquaintance of RAM mounts and they delight me with their simplicity, flexibility and effectiveness. I have set a mount under the beak, ready to receive the XM receiver/antenna which comes with the Zumo. I have not yet completed the fitting as, there being no XM service in Australia, I am in no rush.

The Garmin Australia Maps are accurate enough, but the routes they plot/directions they give are, in my opinion, grossly inferior to those provided by Tomtom, which I have in my car.

The Inreach messaging services are a bit hit and miss at the moment, which may be my fault; however I am communicating with DeLorme and I hope to have everything sorted before we leave in July. The tracking, however, works exactly as it should.

Here are some photos of the mounts.

Awaiting the arrival of the lockable Touratech mount for the GPS.

This is awaiting the installation of the XM satellite receiver/antenna
Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Bike is on its way!

On Tuesday I rode the bike to Sydney and on Wednesday I took it to the shipping depot and watched it being loaded into the container for the trip to Portland, Oregon.

In just over two months we will collect it in Portland and commence our odyssey. Patience is not my strong suit.........

I will commence a new thread under Ride Reports and kick it off just before we leave.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #27
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Ride Report

This post is for those who may be subscribed to this thread; or lurkers who may be interested in what comes next. Please feel free to visit the thread 'Bucket List Item - USA on a GSA - Summer 2013' in Ride Reports. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=905889