Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #50296
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Doesn't look like you have much gear with you for a 3 day ride...
Indeed, I traveled with a light backpack, and stayed in Motel6 for two nights. I used to pack a lot of stuff for even short trips, but I have lately discovered the pleasures of traveling light. While riding off road, I try to stress the subframe of my XR650L as lightly as possible.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #50297
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
Thats because he's a weekend hoteler.

Busted!

I slept on the cold, hard ground too many nights while I was mountaineering! I have since learned to appreciate a nice, soft bed!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 10:06 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #50298
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Does anyone make a decent front disc guard for these pigs?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #50299
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maier makes a front disc guard for the XR600R.

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/hon...orkdisc-guards

However, I believe you must slightly modify this disc guard to make it fit the XR650L. Check out the following thread.

http://www.4strokes.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27471

Spud
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #50300
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
There are a few guards out there. Not really sure they are any good though. I kind of equate them to metal detectors "the illusion of safety".

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #50301
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBike View Post
Nice Pic ... where is that ? Near Sisters or the Steens ?
Steens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
I used to live near Bend OR and if you get east of town about 20 miles, it flattens out all the way to ID or NV. Elevation is between 3-5k. Of course, you have to wait until June if you want a snow-free ride.
This ride was a week out in early May, we had done another in early April. You are correct though, any time that early it can snow on you. The night before that photo we camped near Hart Mtn..... Froze our butts with temps in the teens.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:17 AM   #50302
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnpass View Post
I agree with what others have said. I have two helmets that I use in the dirt. For winter, I use a HJC dirt helmet and for the other three seasons, I use a Klim F4. The Klim is the most comfortable, ventilated helmet I have ever owned. My next helmet will be a Klim as well. You truly get what you pay for however the line is becoming grayer.

What I mean by this is I was a huge Arai fan, and had a XD for road use. I bought a FLY DS helmet on a whim and it has replaced my Arai. Price does not always dictate quality or fit. Helmets are personal. TRy on as many as you can and choose the one that best fits/suits you.

One thing you do not always get more of when you pay big $ for a helmet is safety. A few years agoMotorcyclist Magazine magazine published an article by the renown Harry Hurt, the godfather of motorcycle safety. The two safest helmets were less than $120. A helmet is suspension for your brain, and many Snell helmets are overly compliant-too stiff. Anything over 200Gs and you are in trouble. Many helmets are designed to work effectively way past levels of deceleration the human brain can tolerate. Expensive helmets are generally more comfy, last longer and have better fit-n-finish.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #50303
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Not sure if anyone follows this but.... I just saw a commercial for the season finale of Burn Notice on USA. There is a screen preview where, I believe the main character, rides an XR650L thru a glass window. Pretty cool. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #50304
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

If anyone is interested, I have posted the photographs for day 3 of my ride report. The thread is located at the following link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849601

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 01:39 AM
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #50305
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Question Brake Pads?

I've always been a proponent of the OEM Honda organics. I see many different types nowadays on Fleabay offered for next to nothing for a set of front and rear. Any body tried them? Sudco etc....
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #50306
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
Quick question: I want to get an MX-style helmet to complement my Shoei road helmet. I have a 3x head. Any recommendations? I don't need a hybrid dual purpose lid but a more traditional offroad set up for goggles. For, uh, going off road. Thanks in advance. What does the discerning XRL-rider choose?

Try an Airoh ( pronounced Arrow ):

This is my S4, note the weight. A Shoei weights in at 4 pounds and an Arai XD is 3 7/8 pounds. The Airoh is 1/2 pound lighter!

Link: http://airohamerica.com/index.php?pa...cts&category=1

First it is sold on EBay at a great price, under $300 shipped from the UK.
Next it's a great helmet. Very aerodynamic, super quite, the flip down shield works best of all I have had.
And it seems to be more scratch resistant than those of Sheoi and Arai.
The good aero and light weight make it a very comfortable helmet to wear all day long.
The head shape is same as Shoei or Arai and it is sized the same as these as well.
But best of all it's two helmets in one. Three actually. It comes with all the parts to use it with out the bill as a devilish looking street helmet or you can use it without the shield as a MX helmet with goggles.
Another cool feature is the chin strap has a buckle instead of D rings. A HUGE time saver and can be easely hooked up with gloves on.

Deffiently worth a look. I have had mine for a year now. I commute on my bike daily.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 05:51 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #50307
Rider11x
Resident Hillbilly

Oddometer: 142
I didn't know how to post a thread, so I put this here.

I am the wife of rider11x and wanted to let you guys know that Marc passed away this past Friday Eve in a motorcycle accident. He would of wanted me to tell you how much enjoyed talking bike talk with you and to be careful of other drivers around you. I won't be back on here but wanted to let you know that a vehicle crossed in front of him and with all the protective gear he had on, he still didn't survive, So be careful and ride safe an let your loved ones know how much you love them like he did to me everyday.
RIP Rider11x (Marc)
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #50308
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by my6 View Post
I've always been a proponent of the OEM Honda organics. I see many different types nowadays on Fleabay offered for next to nothing for a set of front and rear. Any body tried them? Sudco etc....
Where were you last night? We were all waiting to see your bike???
Anyway try Ferodo pads. They make an offroad pad that has excellent feel making it difficult to lock up on soft loose surfaces. Now this is an OFFROAD pad. On the street you will need extra stopping distance. I get them here: http://www.indysuperbike.com/

Info here: http://www.ferodo.com/en-gb/Pages/Home.aspx
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 05:56 AM
Old 12-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #50309
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
I am the wife of rider11x and wanted to let you guys know that Marc passed away this past Friday Eve in a motorcycle accident. He would of wanted me to tell you how much enjoyed talking bike talk with you and to be careful of other drivers around you. I won't be back on here but wanted to let you know that a vehicle crossed in front of him and with all the protective gear he had on, he still didn't survive, So be careful and ride safe an let your loved ones know how much you love them like he did to me everyday.
RIP Rider11x (Marc)
I am sure I speak for all here in saying our heart felt sorrow for your loss and our prayers go out to you and your family. Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do for you in this difficult time. Marc has been a great contributor to this site and I am sure he is now in a great and wounderfull place.
Kindest regards
Fritz Huss
Old 12-19-2012, 05:58 AM   #50310
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider11x View Post
RIP Rider11x (Marc)

He will be missed. I'm not quite sure what to even say...
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote