User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
BikeMan OP
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 258
MC Tents, why so much $$

why do mc tents cost so much? are they somehow better than a regular tent. like the ones ya can get at wal-mart?
http://www.practicalsports.com/motorcycle-tents.html
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,259
I wouldn't necessarily say that an MC Tent is more expensive as I would say that a GOOD tent really does cost some bucks. (*That is, unless they are cashing in on the marketing of the name).

Marmot, North Face, Big Agnes, ERI - the big names in tents cost a lot more money because they are made better. Triple-loc seam construction, extra lightweight materials, better pole-connectors and framework, no seam floors and bath-tub floors, extended rain flys - it all adds up.

I'd suggest looking at Sierra Trading Post and REI-Outlet for good deals on year and two year old models to save some money.

But as to an MC specific tag? I'd say that's just the marketing talking.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
BMW-K said it well. With over 20 years in the camping industry, I can tell you with certainty that the cost is all about the quality of construction, features and design. Any good two person tent will easily hit the $300 mark. I agree that Sierra Trading Post and REI-Outlet.com are two great sources for finding discounted product.

The only tents that I have ever seen specifically designed for motorcycling are the small trailer tents and the Redverz (formerly Nomad Tent Company) http://redverz.com/tents.html.

Otherwise, look for a good, lightweight backpacking tent with a large vestibule. I generally recommend going one person bigger than you need to accommodate your gear. (eg: motorcycle jackets take up much more space than your average TNF Goretex jacket.)
Old 12-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 345
There are many things you can skimpy on but don't on a tent and sleeping bag. Life can seriously suck if either of those suck in shitty weather....even fair weather conditions, a tent that fails just makes the trip a little less fun.

Same goes for luggage, buy the best you can afford.

Trust me, learned my lesson the hard way cause I was a cheap ass on the wrong stuff.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,208
All the guys above said it well . . . . .

good stuff costs, almost always . . .

add to that, good tents (small, light-ish, easily packable, setupable, strikable) . . . . the market simeply isn't very large -- it's not like they make 500K of any particular model . . . .so the cost reflects that small run reality.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,033
http://www.tarptent.com/
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB View Post
These are neat tents. I prefer a floor and suffer the weight penalty. My best tent is a MSR Hubba-Hubba, which is a good mid-range (~$300) price tent. I bought mine on sale online at about 1/3 off.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,556
watch for the $29 deals at the big box stores (usually Coleman or some major name) and leave them setup when you're done with them.

I don't do this, but have met a few guys that do.

I have a bibler... love the tent, HATE the floor they will leak!

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
RogerWilco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
One time when I was assigned to lake patrol duty, there was quite a bad storm that ripped through a couple of the campgrounds. Even some trees were uprooted and vehicles damaged. I noticed the only tents left standing were the good ones, all the cheap stuff had ripped apart at the seams, spars were snapped, outer flys torn up, etc.
The "expensive" tents came through it all: my own Dana Design tent, which I had loaned to a camping friend, was one of the ones left standing.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,833
Been using a $30 tent for well over a decade, still going strong. I shop new tents all the time and see nothing I like better.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #11
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Wind storms

A couple of summers ago, I sat out a thunderstorm with winds so strong I watched a tent in the next campsite lift off the ground with people in it. My forty dollar tent survived undamaged. Part of tent survival is proper set up, allowing for wind direction, and using the right stakes for soil conditions.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Ok here's a diff view. My buddy did a trip to Alaska/ key west. Both ways. He started with 500$ tents and ended up with Walmart 50$ tents. His exact words were they were all the same as far as waterproof and bad weather. he saw no advantage between the high dollar and the Wallmart el cheapos. Oh I forgot he was on his bicycle.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I've been looking as well and the only major difference I've seen between stuff at the "everything costs at least $200 or more" stores and what I can get from most sporting good or big box retailers is the weight and how small it packs. Fairly significant, but if you are on a budget, paying $50 for a Coleman (or whatever) and having to fork over $200-$400 for the average REI (or other fancy shop) tent is a pretty big deal.
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I'm a tent nut still. I have had high dollar and cheaper tents. I am convinced that for 100$ you can get more tent than you will ever need motorbike camping.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #15
Happy Wanderer
Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
I'm a tent nut still. I have had high dollar and cheaper tents. I am convinced that for 100$ you can get more tent than you will ever need motorbike camping.
I'm not convinced. What is this $100 tent you speak of?
Happy Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote