Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #16
dunters
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Thanks for the report Garry. Always great to hear from you and I'm glad your trip was extra special. I hope Cliff is recovering well after the tequila, cowboys and Rodeo. In case he ever partakes in tequila with cowboys again, a little advice I had a hell of a time following... "no menos de dos. no mas de tres" :)

Saludos,
-d
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Slowphil
REALLY Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Hey Garry, great report, glad to see you showed your brother an excellent time It's also good to see you going through the agony of posting a ride report but keep posting on it, seeing Mexico through the eyes of a local is interesting

Philip
Slowphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Phil,

Only a couple more days to go. It hasn't been that painful. The trip was a great experience for the 3 of us. I hadn't ridden for more than 2 days with anyone else in over 30 years! Although I had a great time I thinkl I prefer riding with just Ivonne behind me. I guess I´m just anti-sociel.

Garry
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 315
Miss you guys!

Great Post I as SO impressed!!!!! Great pics. Can't wait to read more. HUGS Sara

worldwideride.ca
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sara and Daniel,

Thanks for the encouragement. I´ll try to finish tomorrow but have to get some Social security payments fixed up. Feel free to post ant pics you have here too along with any of your side of the story.It was a great 4 days with you guys. You are the real deal not like us Brits who just cruised around a tiny piece of Mexico.

Garry
Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Garry,
Good to see you and Yvonne again, if only in pictures.
Xilitla is a strange and beautiful place, no?
Have a merry Christmas. Hope to see you soon.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dick,

Xilitla is indeed a weird and wonderful place. I had been 3 times before and find stuff each time i go. Cliff just loved it. He seems to connect to stuff that rich eccentric English gentleman do.
I have been saving for a big trip starting in 2014. The plan is to go south but we may just go north instead. Either way hope to see you some time in the future.
Merry Christmas.

Garry
Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #23
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We walked around the block the next morning to the secure parking.

We rode up to the hotel to pack. Just before we were about to leave Sara fgound this rather large insect. Damian, the parking attendant, said it was a good omen. He also said his friends called him Satan. I wasn´t sure that Satan would know much about good omens. He said that like us it would travel long distance and fly.

We rode off protected by a bug and Satan´s words.
When we got to El Sanctuary El Rosario there was only 1 horse. Cliff got the horse as he was the oldest.

We walked up the long steep hill. Sara and Daniel flew ahead so maybe Satan was right in their case. I huffed and puffed until I finally got to the top.

When we got to the top the butterflies were not flying as it was to cold. They were hanging in the trees. It was quite a spectacle. The guide let us go a little further into the forest than normal to get a better look.
Although impressive it was not what I remembered from my last visit over 20 years ago.

We then went to Agangeo to find a hotel. We found this very nice sign on the way there. We had wanted to camp but it was really cold and Cliff´s sleeping bag although very large was not very good. We looked for a hotel and at the 3rd try found one that was a reasonable price. $3'00 pesos per room.

We walked up another hill into town and had a very nice meal in the only place in town.

Sara had bought chocalate from Oaxaca for the camping trip she had hoped for. Not wanting to dissappoint her we took out the stove and made it in Cliff´s room.

Cliff and Daniel were in fits of laughter because of the image of the Virgin and Pope JoHn Paul. It looked a little strange as he seemed to have his head buried in her breasts. I tried to explain that it was a miracle but it only made matters worse. Pagans.

garrydymond screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 07:21 AM
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
dunters
Dunters

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrydymond View Post
Dick,
...The plan is to go south but we may just go north instead. Either way hope to see you some time in the future.
Merry Christmas.

Garry
Come on up north. You know you've always got a place to stay in Seattle and I could probably find you a bike if you and Ivonne just want to fly. Sorry I'm gonna miss you this Christmas but hopefully I'll be down in DF soon. Feliz Navidad and thanks for the posts.

Saludos,
-duncan
dunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #25
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

December 12th was the last day of our epic but short trip. I got up early and walked around the little town. It was a glorious clear morning and nowhere near as cold as the previous night.
Ivonne said there was another sanctuary nearbty that we could visit.

The silly dual sport bikes parked on one side of the grass parking lot. We had to ride a couple of kms of gravel and cross a little bridge to get there.

The mighty, true dirt bike, Boulevard parked by itself.

It turns out that Sierra Chincua reserve was a much nicer place. especially with nice blue skies and sunshine.
At 3.300 metres it is pretty high.

This time Cliff and Ivonne got horses for the ride up.

The 2 soul sisters at the view point at the top. My camera wasn't good enough to take decent pics of the butterflies but they were flying around.

Cliff said it was like something out of Lord of the Rings. Yet another breathtaking sight in 10 days of breathtaking sights.

I was offered a horse to come down on. I was tired my heel was hurting from so much walking and I thought it would be fun. It was but my legs hirt for 2 days after.

Sara was very very happy as were we all.

When we got back to the bikes Cliff had left his key in the bike and the kids there had switched on the ignition and drained the bettery. Luckily our Commonwealth contigent had junpers cables and in no time we were off.
On the way back we met a group of well heeled BMW riders who were out for a ride. Sara and Cliff took pics but I didn't. Nice people and some of them spoke to Cliff and I even though we don´t have BMW´s.
We rode the long way home from there and arrived around 7:30pm. There was some criticism of my night riding style that we won´t get into. We stopped on the way to buy some steaks and arrived home safely.
As you can see in the picture Cliff and I look a lot alike but I have the fanciest bike gear. He may have ridden the better bike though!
We did about 1,300 miles in 10 days. It doesn't sound like much but it was a lot of riding on slow mountain roads. I would have liked to have had more days but we filled the ones we had with a lot of fun.

Daniel and Sara came back to Mexico City with us for a tradational Posada. The party would be tomorrow night so the riding may have finished but the fun certainly hadn´t.

garrydymond screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 03:28 PM
garrydymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cliff's last full day we spent going to a fancy mall to try and find presents, which we didn't. We then went home and BSéd with Daniel and Sara.

They wanted us to take some pics for their Holiday card which was a fun thing to do.

At night we had a Posada, This is a tradational Mexican party before Xmas. We had to go outside and sing. In the song you ask for Posada which is a place to stay. It represent Mariy and Joseph asking for a place to stay and being told there is no room at the Inn. This goes on until finally they are recognised and given a place to stay in the stable.

Cliff got to carry Mary and Joseph from Ivonne´s nativity.

Although we sang well it took quite a few verses for the guys inside to let us in.

We then had 3 piñatas. One just for Cliff

Once that was over we went downstairs to eat the not so tradational hot dogs.

It looks like at the end of 2 weeks cliff had become Mexican.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Only the farewells were left.

First Daniel and Sara left. They were great guests at home and fun to ride with. Hast luego amigos

Then Cliff started the Boulevard one last time. (and filled my bedroom full of smoke)

Then he was ready with his bags to go to the airport.
I didn't/couldn't take any pics at the airport. I thought I would be crying all the time but when we got tyo check in we discovered he didn't have an ESTA /electronic Security Travel Authorization) We went to the American Express lounge and applied for one online, paid the $14 dollars and an hour later he was checked in and gone.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #28
garrydymond OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Final words

I'll let Cliff say the final words. He sent me an e-mail soon after getting back to the UK.
This is what he said, "
Just reflecting on my trip and looked through the photos again last night. What a great time. Thanks for organising things so well it was just perfect. What a great bike to do it all on. Great noise. Great handling (if you remember you are a duck). Great look. I'd never buy one but really could not fault it. Just think of all the stuff it had to cope with when all it wanted to do was sit outside a cafe and look cool.

I really had a wonderful time. The riding in the mountains was brilliant. I will remember looking down on mountains which looked down on other mountains forever. It's difficult to imagine another place where half an hours riding takes you from desert to tropical forest and back to English countryside. Amazing.

The things I will always remember are the times spent with you both and with your family which made me feel so welcome. For the first time and after all these years I realise why you chose to live so far away and in such a different country. It's so different than here and so full of life. Your bond with your family is so close and they clearly all love you to bits."
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #29
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

From worldwideride.ca

How lucky to have made friends with the Dymonds in Mexico, especially when Daniel's stator died while we were there. We really enjoyed meeting Cliff too and having the opportunity to spend a few days riding with the gang. We met up with them at the hotel in Morelia.

[IMG]
DSC05505 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr[/IMG]

DSC05509 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here is another shot of the massive Tortas we had for lunch!

DSC05513 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here is a great shot of the whole gang.

DSC05519 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

The bus tour of the city of Morelia took us past all the "sights"

DSC05534 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

We toured a local government building that had lovely murals on the walls and a nice view of the Cathedral.

DSC05552 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Enjoying beers and papas on the Zocalo.

DSC05559 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here is our buddy Damen.

DSC03651 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Taking a well deserved break half way up the brick road to the monarch reserve.

Monarchs 004 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Chilly Mariposa clinging to the trees.

Monarchs 158 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 492 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

If its cold enough for a touque you for sure need hot chocolate. Thanks Garry.

Monarchs 059 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 058 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr
Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Monarch adventure day 2

We awoke in Angangaro to a beautiful sunny and warmer day. My dear friend Ivonne saw how disappointed I was the day before after climbing up a mountain at altitude to see clumps of brown on the trees. She directed us to another butterfly reserve. After another 45 min hike up we arrived to see a sight so amazing pictures can not do it justice.

Monarchs 092 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 091 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

This is the view Cliff was describing.

Monarchs 094 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 315 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here we are all smiles as the Monarchs are flying.

Monarchs 087 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 253 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 410 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 318 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Monarchs 179 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Female Monarch.

Monarchs 019 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Male Monarch

Monarchs 326 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Today the branches were ablaze with colour.

Monarchs 271 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

The horse riders arrived back to the entrance.

Monarchs 497 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Here are the kids "watching" our bikes for us. They are the same ones who killed Cliff's battery.

Monarchs 136 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Cliff relaxing with a pipe while Garry makes us coffee on his camp stove.

Monarchs 233 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

Glad we had jumper cables!!

Monarchs 137 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

We met up with some of the Mexico City BMW club along the road at one of the Pueblos Magico.

IMG_4769 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr

DSC_8652 by Worldwide Ride.ca, on Flickr