Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #2941
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I've had the 60's on my KLR for quite a while------forget HID---forget Halogen--these make daylight out of dark

Rode my new Husqvarna TR650 Terra last night in the dark-------never do that again.
Frickin' deer everywhere.

I just ordered another pair------they are awesome.
Thanks for your business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOco.moto View Post
While I have read a good portion of this thread, I still need to ask this: In a strictly street application will a pair of 44's with a dimmer set-up to go lower power on low beam still annoy oncoming drivers?
No, I run the lights on several vehicles as a DRL and no issues thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOco.moto View Post
I don't plan on aiming the lights too high as I really want more light off to the sides ( on my twisty road commute I have blind apex points right now with stock headlight, staring into a black hole). I don't want to turn the lights off completely when oncoming traffic approaches as I am totally lost then. I know they don't have any sort of "cut-off" so I'm wondering if anybody has feedback on this. I'd like to know how they work with fog too (in a dimmed mode with low beam) as it is always a winter early morning problem here. This will be used on a DRZ400sm, so not stellar lighting to begin with. Thanks.
The lights don't perform very well as a "fog" light as the light tends to get reflected. They will however fill in all the gaps and allow you to see through corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I did it really simple and didn't use the dimmer. Some would say this is not recommended I suppose, but I simply tied into the wire going to the high beam--------right at the headlight bulb plug------and powered the lights from there. It works perfectly and the LED's come on with the regular high beam. Wires are always oversized a bit and I think this is fine.

I'll do the same with the Husky.

The dimmer provides good visibility when on low beam as Sanjoh recommends----but I just didn't go that way.
I"ve ridden with him and seen his setup --------really nice.

BigDog
PM sent
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #2942
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,099
When is the new spots slated for release? I'm going to need a pair of spots and a pair of floods. But I can wait for the new ones....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #2943
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
When is the new spots slated for release? I'm going to need a pair of spots and a pair of floods. But I can wait for the new ones....
Thanks for the interest. Planning on middle of January.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #2944
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 848
F800r

Here's how I mounted the 30 spots on the F800R. This bike won first place in the bike show last year.

I don't have any pics of the bike going down the road, but the 30's can be seen waaaaaaay in the distance and work very well for conspicuity.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #2945
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVBMR View Post
Here's how I mounted the 30 spots on the F800R. This bike won first place in the bike show last year.

I don't have any pics of the bike going down the road, but the 30's can be seen waaaaaaay in the distance and work very well on the trailer.
Fixed.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #2946
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Thanks for the interest. Planning on middle of January.

good to know. Thanks. I have some $ set aside when that happens.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #2947
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,604
Quote:
How about some pics

It uses Cree XML T6 leds and a great reflector design. Due to the length of the reflector/optics, we will not use our current form factor / housing. The multiple led lights are larger than our current lights. More to come......

The XML line is amazing. Just look into other binnings too sanjoh. The t-6 series can throw more lumens,but many many many times you cant tell the difference between them and a t-5 with your eyes. Or if you really want more power, XML T-6 U2. Up to 1040 lm per die. Any projected/estimated price yet?
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #2948
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
The XML line is amazing. Just look into other binnings too sanjoh. The t-6 series can throw more lumens,but many many many times you cant tell the difference between them and a t-5 with your eyes. Or if you really want more power, XML T-6 U2. Up to 1040 lm per die.
Have used the U2 extensively, 4 of 5 friends can not tell any difference from the T6. Both of the LEDs are amazing! Can't wait for the next gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Any projected/estimated price yet?
Not set yet, but some will be lower priced than our current lights and some will be more.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM   #2949
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Have used the U2 extensively, 4 of 5 friends can not tell any difference from the T6. Both of the LEDs are amazing! Can't wait for the next gen.

Not set yet, but some will be lower priced than our current lights and some will be more.

I want the ones that are lower...
Old 12-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #2950
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
I want the ones shown in the earlier picture!

I"ll wait.

PM me when you get them ready and the prices set.

-Edit-

Can one dimmer / bypass handle both of those lights?

Thanks
Rick

WindSailor screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 10:05 PM
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #2951
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Hello,

I am looking at buying a set of lights shortly after the holidays. I ride a Honda 919 and its all on the highway. I was curious if two spot lights are best, or one spot and one flood? I was going to plan on getting two spot lights, but I figured that asking the "experts" first might save me some headaches.

thank you
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #2952
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
Opinions are like a$$holes

Everyone's got one. Wait, isn't that Advrider's subtitle?
Anyway, some think the wide/spot combo is the best of both worlds. The 44s, even though they are floods, on paper actually do better than the spots at any distance just because they have more lumens (the 60s better yet) My reason for having the lights is deer. I am very happy with my pair of 44s...Sanjoh has a great product and exemplary customer service...as they light up the ditches and the middle distance very well. I still dream of the range of high quality 6" driving lights so I could see animals 3-400 yards down the road, but my grasp of physics tells me this is nearly impossible with anything small enough that I would want to hang on a bike. Big reflectors will always outperform small ones. Life is a compromise.
Definitely offroad the wide beams rock!
Where I believe a spot has an advantage over a flood is that it doesn't light up reflective signs at the side of your vision as much. I believe my eyes may be more sensitive than others to this but I find anything bright in my peripheral vision kills my night vision (I even cover the blue high beam indicator on long trips!). Understand this is just me...I haven't found too many who share this opinion.
So you need to light up the distance AND the ditches, without lighting them up so much that road signs are all that you can see? I am very keen to read the reviews on the new spots! It looks like they might be the answer.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #2953
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I want the ones that are lower...
You are on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
I want the ones shown in the earlier picture!

I"ll wait.

PM me when you get them ready and the prices set.

-Edit-

Can one dimmer / bypass handle both of those lights?

Thanks
Rick
Yes, one dimmer can handle a pair of the lights.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #2954
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Dibs on the lower priced ones ;-)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #2955
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundOz View Post
Everyone's got one. Wait, isn't that Advrider's subtitle?
Anyway, some think the wide/spot combo is the best of both worlds. The 44s, even though they are floods, on paper actually do better than the spots at any distance just because they have more lumens (the 60s better yet) My reason for having the lights is deer. I am very happy with my pair of 44s...Sanjoh has a great product and exemplary customer service...as they light up the ditches and the middle distance very well. I still dream of the range of high quality 6" driving lights so I could see animals 3-400 yards down the road, but my grasp of physics tells me this is nearly impossible with anything small enough that I would want to hang on a bike. Big reflectors will always outperform small ones. Life is a compromise.
Definitely offroad the wide beams rock!
Where I believe a spot has an advantage over a flood is that it doesn't light up reflective signs at the side of your vision as much. I believe my eyes may be more sensitive than others to this but I find anything bright in my peripheral vision kills my night vision (I even cover the blue high beam indicator on long trips!). Understand this is just me...I haven't found too many who share this opinion.
So you need to light up the distance AND the ditches, without lighting them up so much that road signs are all that you can see? I am very keen to read the reviews on the new spots! It looks like they might be the answer.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your input!