ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #181
Some Dude
what attitude problem???
 
Some Dude's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
read the pdf from the website...didnt get the answers to these question..

IF I ride this event, it will be my first official rally....how is it for newbies

if i ride the 690, can i still be in a slower group of the adv riders? or maybe at the end of the fast pack, so that i dont get run over

Cars, how many motorcycle have been run over by them....i mean i will be scared to see a 60mph rally car in my rear view...are the roads wide enough?? or are the motorcycles faster?

My experince with sand has been Pine Barrens....did 2-3 PB300 in the last few years.

Support vehicle, why do we need one? i mean this event is for one day (right) are there chances of break down...i have a new well maintained 690....other than tires what else i need to be aware of?
The course is cleared after the last motorcycle to make sure no bikes get run over It's not like Dakar or an endurance rally or even like Baja, so probably the safest possible first moto rally you could enter in those regards.


As far as support goes, you need a base camp at the designated service parking lot and you'll have to have a "service vehicle" registered in order to even park it let alone have someone leap frog the route if you want big pimp'n support (not typical in RallyMoto) Chances are if you have a mechanical or even a flat it can be a rally ender and you'll be riding for fun after that if you manage to fix in a timely manner. If it can't be tie wrapped or duct taped in minutes you'll miss your checks and face a downward spiral competitively speaking, but you can still enjoy the ride!
__________________
Just some dude on the internet,..
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #182
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Thanks, Stage. To make sure I understand this, I should go ahead and sign up online then wait for NASA to mail me all the paper work to fill out which will include the 2013 membership form and the racing license form?
Good I was going to send you here:

http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/license
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #183
AnyDay
Wants more time off
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: New Paltz, NY
Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
IF I ride this event, it will be my first official rally....how is it for newbies

if i ride the 690, can i still be in a slower group of the adv riders? or maybe at the end of the fast pack, so that i dont get run over

Cars, how many motorcycle have been run over by them....i mean i will be scared to see a 60mph rally car in my rear view...are the roads wide enough?? or are the motorcycles faster?

My experince with sand has been Pine Barrens....did 2-3 PB300 in the last few years.

Support vehicle, why do we need one? i mean this event is for one day (right) are there chances of break down...i have a new well maintained 690....other than tires what else i need to be aware of?
This will be my first SB, too but my husband has done it twice. Very friendly. The Adventure Class is the newbie class, doesn't matter the weight or style of the bike, it just means we can't accumulate points towards a rally season. The other classes are by weight.
It is timed starts, so everyone starts the stage solo. All the bikes go before they start any cars on the stages. Sometimes other bikes will pass you, but then they re-seed (or whatever) at the next stage so you would start after who passed you.

Experts, please fact check me on above. :)

My sand experience is PB300 and out west. Going to try to go to NJ a few times before March to practice.
__________________
'01 F650GS
'06 KLX250
'01 F650GS (one wasn't enough!)

AnyDay screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 08:37 AM Reason: no support
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #184
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer
 
rudyunknown's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Phoenixville
Oddometer: 712
thanks for the replies...i am getting excited here....

wife and one year old need to be convinced now....i am not entirely sure if this is going to fly....but time for crying begging cribbing and last option bribing
__________________
Indian among Americans
Husky 250 "hit that tree"
Adventure bike KTM 690e
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #185
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,731
You could think of it as a two hundred mile dual sport, with a lot of paperwork.

Mostly, the stages are short enough that there isnt enough time to pass, youre through the stage in a matter of 10-25 minutes, and if the guy behind you would have to be going significantly faster to catch up to you, if you start a full sixty seconds ahead. If your average speeds are with 5 mph of each other, you'd have to go over twenty miles before you made up a full minute on the guy ahead, unless something goes awry like a getoff or wilderness exploration, or run out of gas

Yes you can often re-seed yourself if someone behind you is consistently faster.

Just ride the first one to have fun, and get used to the time cards and volunteers, and see how the whole thing shakes down admistratively. By the end of the day you'll have figured out the deal.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.

Stagehand screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 08:45 AM
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #186
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$
 
Entrepre-neer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
read the pdf from the website...didnt get the answers to these question..

IF I ride this event, it will be my first official rally....how is it for newbies

if i ride the 690, can i still be in a slower group of the adv riders? or maybe at the end of the fast pack, so that i dont get run over

Cars, how many motorcycle have been run over by them....i mean i will be scared to see a 60mph rally car in my rear view...are the roads wide enough?? or are the motorcycles faster?

My experince with sand has been Pine Barrens....did 2-3 PB300 in the last few years.

Support vehicle, why do we need one? i mean this event is for one day (right) are there chances of break down...i have a new well maintained 690....other than tires what else i need to be aware of?

You don't have to run the ADV class as a newbie. SandBlast was my first RallyMoto so I was seeded near the back but I still got points that counted toward the season total because I signed up in a points class. Since I ran Rally WV as well I was glad that I got those points to count toward the season total. If you end up doing more than one rally you could end up with enough season points to get an overall trophy in your class or for the overall points. Just a thought in case you get bitten by the Rally bug(you probably will).

I didn't bring a support crew last year so my support vehicle stayed in the service area. I basically just stored my gas and food in the car so it was ready any time we had a service break. I had plenty of spare parts and basic tools too. This was handy because stuff tends to loosen up due to the high speed vibration. I also used it to jump my bike the morning of the race because my DRZ battery was dead (every dirt bike should have a kick start....).
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #187
toro618
Studly Adventurer
 
toro618's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 949
rider carry ons

Just to help us first timers:

What is a No Motion detector devise? I remember reading about this last year in one of these threads.

Which warning triangle is recommended for easy packing?

Thanks in advance
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #188
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,731
No worries onteh No MOtion, its not a required just a recommended. Just buy a pair of those bicycle LED tailights with the bright flicker option, so we can find you in the woods after dark.

Pep Boys or ADvance Auto or Wallyworld will get you the Triangle.. the standard auto size, 12" or something with the sand in the base, take the sand out of the base
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #189
toro618
Studly Adventurer
 
toro618's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
No worries onteh No MOtion, its not a required just a recommended. Just buy a pair of those bicycle LED tailights with the bright flicker option, so we can find you in the woods after dark.

Pep Boys or ADvance Auto or Wallyworld will get you the Triangle.. the standard auto size, 12" or something with the sand in the base, take the sand out of the base

Thanks. Just one triangle, or 3 of them as stated in the rules?
toro618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #190
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by toro618 View Post
Thanks. Just one triangle, or 3 of them as stated in the rules?
3 triangles is for the cars, I think? Bikes only need one.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #191
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motorfiets's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: North of Jack Daniel's, South of Country Music
Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
take the sand out of the base
YES
__________________
Ben
My Photo's
Motorfiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #192
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!
 
hiawassee's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: O-H!.....for now
Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyunknown View Post
read the pdf from the website...didnt get the answers to these question..

IF I ride this event, it will be my first official rally....how is it for newbies

if i ride the 690, can i still be in a slower group of the adv riders? or maybe at the end of the fast pack, so that i dont get run over

Cars, how many motorcycle have been run over by them....i mean i will be scared to see a 60mph rally car in my rear view...are the roads wide enough?? or are the motorcycles faster?

My experince with sand has been Pine Barrens....did 2-3 PB300 in the last few years.

Support vehicle, why do we need one? i mean this event is for one day (right) are there chances of break down...i have a new well maintained 690....other than tires what else i need to be aware of?


RallyWV '12 was my initiation into RallyMoto. As a newbie I ran the Adventure class, but wasn't necessary. Should've run the Dakar class. Performed well enough (minus the stage 12 get-off which ruined my overall times) to be in Dakar and give Entrepre-neer a run for his money next time .

Support needs are minimal. If you get stuck on the course, there's a sweeper car that comes thru to handle any mishaps and get you moving in the right direction (whether back on course, back to your support crew/fans, or presumably, to the hospital if necessary).

And all the bike competitors are great people. they take care of each other. if someone goes down, word gets relayed along to make sure the downed rider is accounted for. ....just make sure that if you go down, you're visible in some fashion to the other riders. All of this will be covered in the mandatory newbie meeting the night before the race. don't sweat it.
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #193
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!
 
hiawassee's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: O-H!.....for now
Oddometer: 199
good question about how the cars and bikes will run at Sandblast. will we use the same format as we did in WV where the bikes are timed far enough ahead of the cars that there is virtually no possibility of getting mixed in with them?

that was an excellent format....hint hint, Anders.
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #194
AnyDay
Wants more time off
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: New Paltz, NY
Oddometer: 247
Are all Adventure Class riders seeded behind the other riders?
__________________
'01 F650GS
'06 KLX250
'01 F650GS (one wasn't enough!)
AnyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #195
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiawassee View Post
good question about how the cars and bikes will run at Sandblast. will we use the same format as we did in WV where the bikes are timed far enough ahead of the cars that there is virtually no possibility of getting mixed in with them?

that was an excellent format....hint hint, Anders.
No chance of getting run over by the cars. They run combo cars, like a course sweep, in between the bikes and car groups.
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014