User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #346
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
H-D 883
I've built 70cc scooters that would give the 883 a run for it's money. It's utterly amazing H-D can charge so much for so little. I'm convinced anyone that likes these bikes have never ridden anything else.
scootertrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #347
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
H-D 883
I've built 70cc scooters that would give the 883 a run for it's money. It's utterly amazing H-D can charge so much for so little. I'm convinced anyone that likes these bikes have never ridden anything else.
+1, absolutely the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden, and I've ridden many. The bike is literally bad at everything from comfort to performance. I take that back, it sounds cool.
scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #348
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrog View Post
H-D 883
+1!
I had an Iron 883 and I hated it. Heavy front end, awkward riding position. I have a friend who only swears by Harley (he's got 4 of them). He's never ridden anything else.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #349
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,373
I've had a bunch of motorcycles but Harleys were always my favorites.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #350
scotty918
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
I've had a bunch of motorcycles but Harleys were always my favorites.
I really like most of Harley's line, especially the Road Glide, but the 883 is an abomination.
scotty918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #351
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty918 View Post
I really like most of Harley's line, especially the Road Glide, but the 883 is an abomination.
The 1200 sporty is a hoot!
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #352
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
I purchased my second BMW in 1985, it was a new K100RS. Loved my old R100s but the K bike was a big disappointment to me. Partly due to the performance and partly due to the changes in my needs. I quit going places and started riding in circles around the NC Mountains. My circles seem to be getting even smaller these days...
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #353
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,643
My 02 VFR with GIVI bags, fancy seat, cruise control. Fantastic engine, I just was never comfortable on it and after an hour wanted to get off. Very odd since it's dimensionally similar to my 06 Triumph Sprint ST that I did 700 mile days on. Even more odd is I owned a 94 VFR that was never an issue either.

Only bike that I never missed and was glad to sell it CHEAP. I am still baffled as to WHY is never fit me
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #354
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,355
I'd wanted a CBX longer than I can remember....so when I found this one in Portland with 25,000 miles on it - I did a fly 'n ride.

Halfway back to Denver I was composing the craiglist ad and ebay auction in my head....

It was in great shape, and if it had been a standard one - it might have melted my butter. It just didn't do anything for me, and I found myself nitpicking it's shortcomings all the way back.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #355
ridewv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 441
Is the Burgman a bike? If so it is my choice. I'd sell it but no one wants it.

My second choice is long gone, a Bandit 1200. Heavy, surprising lack of power, a bit buzzy, and very average handling.
Honda: 2000 CB750
ridewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #356
EetsOK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canoehead View Post
Did you ever actually ride one? Sounds like this is a bike you wanted to hate and did as opposed to a "bike you didn't like as much as you thought you would".

IMO, the whole Indian thing was a blatant money grab, but the bike wasn't more disappointing than anyone expected - we all knew it would be crap.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Yes, I did and why would you say such thing? Are you trying to invoke a fight? Or do you own one of these turkeys?

14 years on and can't see any reason why somebody would buy an Indian which is still based on slightly re-arranged HD clone architecture when they could buy a real deal HD for much less money and much better parts/service back up.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #357
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by EetsOK View Post
Yes, I did and why would you say such thing? Are you trying to invoke a fight? Or do you own one of these turkeys?

14 years on and can't see any reason why somebody would buy an Indian which is still based on slightly re-arranged HD clone architecture when they could buy a real deal HD for much less money and much better parts/service back up.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight - the post went on about how bad the company was and made no mention of actually riding it. You and I agree that it was a turkey (I actually called it crap) - I said so in my second paragraph.

Sorry if it sounded like an attack. I just figured that no one here actually thought that they would like that bike so riding it would not have been a surprisingly bad experience, more a confirmation of expectations.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #358
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Kawasaki Ninja 1000. Was exciting for a week having just put the BMW R1100S up for sale. More power, lighter, smaller and more agile, adjustable windscreen and equally comfy ergos for long distance touring but with the addition of the Givi side cases, just as functional as the R1100S with System cases.

123 RWHP but an utterly boring linear acceleration, an annoying intake "wheeze" instead of a howl, and vibes that are much finer but in a frequency that doesn't agree with my wrists, 4 less mpg, fully adjustable suspension that really is just ok.

Just an ok bike, IMO. It actually bores me to tears.

Though my R1100S wore Ohlins, it simply instilled more confidence and I was able to outride the Ninja everywhere I went. Traction with the same Q2s was better. Only sold it because it had 160k miles on it. But I'd love to find a new one in the crate. It was a mighty fine bike and I miss it.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #359
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I'd wanted a CBX longer than I can remember....so when I found this one in Portland with 25,000 miles on it - I did a fly 'n ride.

Halfway back to Denver I was composing the craiglist ad and ebay auction in my head....

It was in great shape, and if it had been a standard one - it might have melted my butter. It just didn't do anything for me, and I found myself nitpicking it's shortcomings all the way back.

A beautiful bike I've lusted after since it came out. 10 years ago I found one, an '83. Tested it out. Determined that the engine simply outperformed the rolling chassis and handle poorly. I was simply in love with the idea of the bike. Was heartbroken when it didn't meet my expectations.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #360
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
A beautiful bike I've lusted after since it came out. 10 years ago I found one, an '83. Tested it out. Determined that the engine simply outperformed the rolling chassis and handle poorly. I was simply in love with the idea of the bike. Was heartbroken when it didn't meet my expectations.
I think a lot of us feel the same way about this bike. I lusted after one as a teenager and couldn't understand why all the real riders chose the CB750F and CB900F over the CBX. I guess they reality is never going to live up to the fantasy.

I test rode a Sabre 750 with that fairing and the buffeting was terrible. I guess you could add that heavy pig to my list of disappointing bikes.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is online now   Reply With Quote