Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #466
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Cant one of you really smart guys figure out how to get one of these to fit??

Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #467
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,952
where there's a will there must be a way. i was thinking of tapping into the oil circuit with two oil lines with the appropriate banjo bolts and just bolt up to an in line oil cooler like below.

this could just be mounted to the frame but to get any decent capacity you need the 14 inch long one and she won't fit. there's a smaller one that would be easier to squeeze in but it wouldn't hold much extra oil.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #468
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Finn,

What oil are you running to get that mileage? Looked back but couldn't find anything. I am using Rotella T right now. I am thinking it will be easy to find oil to change when out on the road since it is available from auto parts stores. I have a Blackstone Lab oil thingy that I was going to use for my truck but I may have to use this one for my bike to check out how Rotella performs.

Motorex 4T

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #469
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post
Cant one of you really smart guys figure out how to get one of these to fit??

Getting it to fit is one thing....getting it not leak like they do....is another
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #470
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Maybe something like this would work, seeing the connection between the two bikes owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colebatch View Post
Had a fair few questions this year about the oil cooler prototype from Terry Brown that Terry and I were running in Siberia this year ... the round cylindrical thing where the oil filter cap normally lives.

Well the legendary Stephan Scheffelmeier is now set to begin producing a batch, improved and refined from the prototypes we had, to his normal fantasy quality and will kick start the CNC machine for it once there are an initial 20 takers.

In return for being one of the initial 20, he is offering a 20% discount, for a price of 114.24 EUR.

The oil cooler adds a couple hundred ccs to your oil capacity (2.5 litres) and by both increasing oil volume and by proving a finned cooling chamber to reduce the temperature of the oil, the level of protection for the engine is significantly enhanced. One of the few causes of failures on this engine under rallying conditions was losing the main bearings, due to the oil being too hot under extreme conditions and being behind bashplates that cut off any airflow to the bottom of the engine. Increasing the volume also increases the service life of the oil, meaning cleaner, better lubricating oil at any given amount of mileage.

For me personally, fitting some sort of oil cooler has been a goal for several years, both to increase capacity and cool the oil. But there was never an easy or economical way to do it ... until Terry hit upon his simple solution. Rather than 500-600 EUR for an oil radiator,plus plumbing, plus finding some way to tap into the oil circuit twice, this simple easy solution has done exactly what I wanted something to do ... offer both cooling and extra capacity for the oil that is simple to fit and use and is very affordable (much cheaper than I thought it would turn out to be). To get it manufactured with scheffelmeiers quality is the icing on the cake.

So can we have a show of hands .... and when we get to 20 I will tell Stephan to fire up the CNC machine.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #471
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Off the oil capacity subject and on to another.

Well, my travel plans were modified by my riding buddy who was going to ride to Inivuk with me next summer. I was prepping pretty hard and looking at routes including the Canol trail. Then, the guy I was supposed to ride with got himself incarcerated. I hate to say it, but I didn't see that one coming. Well, now I have the time off and the direction still seems to be right for me, I think I might just go it alone.

Has anyone on here ridden north through that country and can you give me some ideas and directions to desolate country and good trails?
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #472
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Personally, I wouldn't ride the Husaberg up there, it's a long ways and there's only 1 or 2 roads you can take to get there and they are all paved (minus construction). I rode to the Arctic Circle in the Yukon a few years back and found very few places to get off the beaten path, let alone on a lightweight ADV bike compared to the lower 48 IMHO. 1 paved road a thousand miles...
I'm not a local though and that's why should ask them if your determined to ride the Husa way up north.

As for desolate country and good trails, the Tour of Idaho takes you through the Lo Lo motorway and is the most remote, continuous National Forest land in the lower 48, connect that ride with the Continental Divide Trail and you have some of the best of the best scenic riding in NA, IMHO of course.
Then there's the Oregon or the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route and the Trans America Trail too... Or just pick any state west of the rockies and wander with the best plan of them all for solo riding - no plan. Lots of tracks on gpsexchange.com and a few on my website too.

I would suggest posting these questions in either Trip Planning forum, or in the correct Regional forums, you should get a wider audience there.

LostRider.com
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #473
Brian011952
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Thanks

I really like that Idaho suggestion, and it's one I've considered before. I know Inivuk is kind of boring, but I want to do a lot longer legged journey and 1200-1500 miles have already been done by me numerous times, so it seemed like a good direction. I'm not that locked into Inivuk, so maybe Idaho with a round trip back through Washington and Oregon.

For me it's gotta be the Husaberg, because I've got nothing else to ride. I'm sure it will be fine. I'll pack enough spares that without a catastrophic engine failure I should be able to keep it going, and If not, I'll always think it should have worked that way.

BTW, thanks for the advice on the other forums to post in.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 AM   #474
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 79
Faux Adventurer

Broke Kati, so had to take the Berg.

3 Days in Victorian High Country - Staying in pubs!

Giant Loop Coyote Loop bag and Fandango tank bag. 4l Liquid Containment fuel bladder.
Riding partner had 38l capacity - fuel mule.

Hard to believe it's summer. Rained for 3 days and snow still on upper peaks.

Picture from Blue Ragg track near Mt. Hotham

Bluetonguejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #475
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonguejak View Post
Broke Kati, so had to take the Berg.

3 Days in Victorian High Country - Staying in pubs!

Giant Loop Coyote Loop bag and Fandango tank bag. 4l Liquid Containment fuel bladder.
Riding partner had 38l capacity - fuel mule.

Hard to believe it's summer. Rained for 3 days and snow still on upper peaks.

Picture from Blue Ragg track near Mt. Hotham

Looks like fun!

Really doesn't feel like summer here either! Lol. At least yours will be getting better soon. Mine is only going to get worse!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #476
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Light Adventurer

Carried clothes for myself and partner in Loop

Tied Loop bag around plastic frame covers (not frame) - plenty strong enough. Never came loose and there was plenty of air being had.

Still waiting on F@#%ing 70 Deg sub tank (Since Feb.) so pissing around with bladder. Straps of Loop bag perfectly through bladder tie-down loops.

Have carried camping gear before, but only on road in SM guise. (Will post photo)

Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #477
Bluetonguejak
Adventure Seeker

Loaded Berg

Carried camp gear strapped to old Loop bag to Phillip Island for MotoGP coupla months ago.

Wouldn't want to carry it like this extreme off-road as they're be a fair chance the arse would break off - no worries on the road though.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #478
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonguejak View Post
Carried camp gear strapped to old Loop bag to Phillip Island for MotoGP coupla months ago.

Wouldn't want to carry it like this extreme off-road as they're be a fair chance the arse would break off - no worries on the road though.

Wow thats the most kit I've seen on a berg so far I think. :-)
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #479
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Here's a few photos from a very cold but fun camping ride around Death Valley on the Husaberg recently, I love this bike!
Riding dirt at night is much less stressful now with the new lights too.

LostRider.com
Old 12-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #480
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,027
Beautiful pics Finn! You have a knack for great photos!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote