Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 AM   #19
ChrisUK OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by potski View Post
Hi Chris,

Right, so the 650 doesn’t seem anywhere near as economical as the stalwart 600’s... wonder how the 700 would fair... What do you think of them btw? Did you find the African Queens (strange name for a business, but hey ho) tank a worthwhile expensive addition?
I think it was just Moritz's bike that had this issue, that than all 650s. Possibly it needed a tune-up. I think the 700 looks horrid and would never buy one. I got the AQ tank very cheap as part of a whole 1998 bike from a friend. New at about 1000euro for the tank is not justifiable or affordable.

Quote:
Oil consumption: Yes, I have heard that the early bikes had a liking for a drop of the amber lubricant. My 88 bike as yet doesn’t use any that I can see, though it only has 65,000kms on it so I guess it’s early days, also it doesn’t see much constant highway 5/6000 rpm travel…. We’ll see how it pans out in the future as I have no intentions of parting company with it…btw, I have a 16 tooth front sprocket which helps, think you have too?
Just getting decent m/c oil in Mongolia is virtually impossible. I'll be taking 5 litres in my hold luggage when I fly back next summer (2.5 for a change and 2.5 for spare)!

Quote:
Lighter bike: The early Alps are 175 kilos I believe, so not bad at all in their day for a 600 twin… I take it when you say lighter you mean a single like your DRZ? The Alp is such a good mile muncher in comparison, though admittedly not as good/light in the dirt…compromises!

Of course everything is a compromise. Indeed, by light bike, I meant DRZ or something like a reliable (an oximoron, I know) ktm690

Quote:
So, you are not so much munching on turkey as driving on Turkey this year…sounds like a pretty good jolly to me …May your wishes come true and you find “beer and dancing girls” in the land of “Turkish Delight”…..Ride safe and I hope your festering is minimal but fun and ADVenture maximum…

Just looking at the weather forcast: In Bulgaria, where the "spare/other" Transalp is parked has for 23rd Dec got a high of 0 degress centigrade and a low of -10

Quote:
Keep us all posted here; the scenery, colours and characterfull images are making for a superb RR Looking forward to BUT…. watch out for cliff’s, corrupt/fat cnutstables and shallow but DEEP river crossings. …how about a few photos from your RR on the “show us your best ever Transalp photos” below?
Quote:

Cheers
Potski
Will do more on the RR when I have a moment. The (in)famous Mongolian river crossing is still to come. I'll try to post some Trannie pics on the "best ever" thread too.

Merry Christmas and all the Best for 2013 to you sir, and all inmates on advrider.
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote