Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #11716
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,793
Just curious as to why those four ladies were carrying "substantial" amount of cash while traveling to a funeral. I usually don't find much need for substantial cash when I attend funerals.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #11717
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Just curious as to why those four ladies were carrying "substantial" amount of cash while traveling to a funeral. I usually don't find much need for substantial cash when I attend funerals.
Speculation of this sort is pretty much useless. People carry cash for lots of reasons, not all of them suspect.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #11718
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
RE; the UNINTERRUPTED visit of Mexico
.................................................. ..................... precisely worded and nevertheless open to interpretation.
Her is how it works....
When you leave Mexico for an " interruption" back in the USA you DO NOT go to the trouble of getting yourself checked out of Mexico. That is so easy to do, you simply do not go in at the Migracion office to get a Salida stamp in your passport which would require that you also cancel your Tourist Card.
As I explained earlier , when you leave Mexico at the US border the Migracion and Banjercito workers do not come running out of their office to tackle the gringo heading north to take away his documents, nor do they take your temperature and check your diaper ( that is done by US customs when you enter the Homeland ...) . At the Mexican inland Aduana terminals they only check inbound tourist traffic documentation, You are free to cross back and forth between the Zona Fronteriza and the interior as often as you wish while retaining your documents..
When you cross the border to the USA in this manner you are technically still registered as being IN Mexico , legally until the last day of validity of your Tourist Card and TVIP.
When you return to continue your stay in Mexico you are all set up with the documentation. Nobody at the border will flinch if in the cursory random inspection you hold up your current and valid documents. .
Likewise when you get to the inland Migracion checkpoint your documents will be accepted without a problem. .
The only time when you will get yourself into trouble is if you do not cancel the documents before going to the USA and then fail to return at least to the Mexican border terminal with the very same bike BEFORE the expiry date of said documents. That means if you show up with expired documents and you ask that they be cancelled you are exceding the permitted stay period . You will possibly face a fine. You will definitely NOT get your Security Deposit back .
Comprendo ?
This is the detailed background and explains what Kobukan was correctly told . It was also explained in this way to me by the Mexican Migracion worker this past April as I was cancelling my Tourist Card document in order to cross into Belize at Subte Lpoez QRO where cancellation IS mandatory for the Tourist Card but NOT the TVIP.
This also shows that the TVIP is considered to be a multiple entry document , so why would the Tourist Card for the sqme person be any different ? Such variation is illogical. but is applied at te Central American border end of Mexico, not at the USA side.
If the Migracion workers at the USA side of Mexico are going to raise an issue about it the simple way to avoid that is to clam up about your
travels. No need to get chatty and explain that you have been bouncing back and forth between the two countries - just say you had an excelent 6 month stay in Mexico and you forgot where all you have been, so dazzled by the experience are you. .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 07:59 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #11719
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Imagine this smothered in maple syrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Gives me a woody just imagining it.

Woody is flattered that you think of him at such a time
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #11720
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Ace asked a valid question.

Things are different here. Some people have a hard time using banks due to proximity problems and taxation. I doubt most Americans would use banks if the government monitored your deposits and automatically taxed you if you exceed a certain amount of deposits per month. In fact, I doubt most Americans would tolerate most of the government controls here like on traveler's checks, etc...

This time of year, some businesses accumulate a lot of cash selling certain goods only for December, like salted cod for the Christmas table, kid's toys for Christmas and 3 Kings Day, cases of liquor that have fallen out of container shipments in the port, etc...

Deposits are not the easiest thing to do in a lot of banks because of the insane lineups. Carrying that amount of cash is not that big a deal here or really something that is out of the ordinary. A lot of people prefer cash here, you get a better price on things. The government has put a limit on business cash purchases but for private use, cash is king.

What was out of the ordinary is that they elected to disregard some info, they didn't have a driver or even another male occupant in the vehicle. It is not usual to see that many women in a car without a male in the vehicle, unless they are nuns, and they don't drive very much.

People are paying attention to that norteno highway murder, but nobody paid any attention to the entire family that was shot and killed south of Veracruz, not far from Tuxtapec that happened just a short while after one rider on this forum passed through there.

Funny how some people react to one killing, but on another stretch of highway that is frequented fairly often by riders, nobody pays attention to the events.

Keep an ear to the ground throughout your trip, listen to the locals, make your risk assessment as Trice would say, and then plan your ride and ride your plan.

Simple as that.

That is what people do that live here, you should do the same.

When you come to Mexico you should ride like a local rider. You are expected to because you are on a motorcycle.
Enjoy it. You can't do that in the USA.

Will I avoid the Tierra Blanca/Tuxtepec area? Probably. But not because of some politically related murders, I really don't like the Tierra Blanca stretch because there are way too many accidents and hit and runs. Tuxtepec to Oaxaca is better, you can access it via Tlacotalpan instead of Tierra Blanca and it is a nicer ride.

I avoid Tierra Blanca more for the traffic incidents, but I avoided Martinez de la Torre for a few months when things were hot up there. Now, I've been there 3 times in the last 3 weeks because they've cleaned out most of the problems.

Again, local citizen or local rider info will trump Borderland Beat or any other slow news gathering agency (relatively speaking). Though, to be fair to Borderland Beat, they don't really specialize in all of Mexico. Notimex will get you that. I never read Borderland Beat because it is too slow in reporting things. I think of it as the Guia Roji of news agencies. It is popular with some people because it is in English.

Here's what most people and Borderland Beat missed:

Ejecutan a familia en la carretera Tuxtepec, Santa Cruz

ILDEFONSO PACHECO

Tuxtepec, Oax., 20 de Diciembre de 2012.- El pasado martes ejecutaron una pareja sentimental y un menor de edad Ismael Soto, chofer del ex pistolero Andrés Valencia Álvarez del ex tinto líder de la UGOCP, Margarito Montes Parra, cuatro sujetos que viajaban a bordo de un auto compacto de color gris, a la altura del paraje el Zapote pertenece a las Peñitas Veracruz.

Según los hechos se registró alrededor 10.15 de la mañana de ayer en el kilómetro 175 de vía federal Tuxtepec Santa Cruz, a la altura del Zapote, una camioneta con caja metálica de color roja la cual transportaba pertenencias diversas que se dirigía para esta ciudad fueron alcanzados por cuatro sujetos que venían a bordo de un Tsur de color gris con placas de circulación MKT 80-24 del estado de México el cual tiene reporte por robo.

El vehículo donde viajaban las familias de Valencia una camioneta Dodge media cabina color rojo placas XV 375 573 del estado veracruzano.

Pero según testigos que pasaron por el lugar señalan que el conductor de la camioneta respondió la agresión armada por lo que los sicarios abrieron fuego con sus armas hasta darles muertes a los ocupantes de la unidad entre ellos un menor de edad.

En el lugar se encontraron 38 casquillos percutidos de calibre 9 mm., los abatidos por los grupos de los sicarios respondieron a los nombres de Andrés Valencia Álvarez que reportes policiaco lo señalan como ex pistolero del extinto Montes Parra quien fue líder de la UGOCP aquí en la cuenca, en donde también fue acribillado el mes de octubre del 2009 en su estado Sonora.

De la misma forma perdió la vida Ana Mijangos Méndez de 25 años con domicilio calle 5 de febrero colonia 20 de noviembre de Tres Valles Veracruz, así mismo Andrés Valencia Mijangos edad de 7 años que desafortunadamente las balas las alcanzaron .

Al lugar hizo su arribo la subprocuraduría de justicia de Cosamalopan y personal de los servicios periciales.

L a unidad en que se desplazaba los sicarios recibió varios impactos de bala por lo que se cree que Andrés, aun herido de muerte logró asentar varios disparos al Tsuru que fue localizado a la altura de la congregación de San Antonio Texas Veracruz.

Por lo que los occisos su pareja eran comerciantes tianguistas que se instalan en Ciudad Alemán y territorio Oaxaqueños y que pertenecían a la UGOCP por lo que se supone ya lo traían cerca.

Por lo que los jefes policiaco pues trataron de impedir los trabajos de los medios de comunicación, esto lo tenían que hacer con el crimen organizados que tiene aterrorizado al estado vecino de Veracruz.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #11721
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I avoided Martinez de la Torre for a few months when things were hot up there. Now, I've been there 3 times in the last 3 weeks because they've cleaned out most of the problems.
So that's why you had me wear the Evil Kinevil suit and ride point!
Old 12-21-2012, 08:24 AM   #11722
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Actually, that is why the Mystery Rider and I had you ride at the back. We needed fresh bait.
I think that decal on the V-Strom scared them off.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #11723
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Actually, that is why the Mystery Rider and I had you ride at the back. We needed fresh bait.
I think that decal on the V-Strom scared them off.
Is that like the german snipers and three cigarette lights... They see you, get excited by the shiny Harley then grab the poor British sap at the end?
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #11724
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhode trip View Post
Thanks, Miguelito, for the info.
Are you referring to the road between H. del Parral and Creel that looks like it continues on from the end of Mex20?
Is there a RR or vid of that route? And is that the one in the news lately with the roadblock? Still waiting on the arrival of some better maps. I find Google maps tough for planning as there's little detail until you are zoomed in so far there is no sense of scale.
Not sure, but the road block took place about 20 miles or so from Guachochi. I'm assuming the women from Cuahtemoc were traveling south to Parral then west to Guachochi. If they went another way, it would involve taking their new Jetta on a lot of dirt roads. There was a gunfight around Guadalupe y Calvo, (west of parral on rt.24), not long ago and the area is definitely under the influence of cartel(s). I've ridden around those parts in the past few years with no problem. YMMV. My guess, is that since this incident, there is more of a police presence in the area, and it would not be as dangerous to travel there at present, but I'm just guessing really. I would definitely not be riding around after dark here, or just about anywhere in Mexico if for no other reason than the surplus of livestock on the roads. If you had more time, I'd recommend coming down further south and exploring the Sierra Gorda.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #11725
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Speculation of this sort is pretty much useless. People carry cash for lots of reasons, not all of them suspect.

All I said is I am curious. I happen to think curiosity and speculation are healthy traits.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #11726
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,303
Quote:
..........curiosity and speculation are healthy traits.
Happens between men and women all the time
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #11727
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
All I said is I am curious. I happen to think curiosity and speculation are healthy traits.
We all speculate, it can be fun but it is essentially useless. No offense intended
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #11728
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
We all speculate, it can be fun but it is essentially useless. No offense intended
No offense taken. You are wrong that speculation is useless. It is the very beginning of discovery and understanding.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #11729
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Old 12-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #11730
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Imagine this smothered in maple syrup