ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:26 AM   #256
Worroll
Studly Adventurer
 
Worroll's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Southern CT
Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Maybe. But unless the nicer Japanese car manufacturers develop a more elegant taste for their interior design, I'll stay with European brands. I looked at the latest Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus models last year and have to say: They just have no taste ...
That comes down to opinion. I've heard comments of BMW's having boring interiors. That's a personal taste thing. The point is that the high end Japanese cars are in fact 'status symbols' and are pretty much right on par with the fancy euro brands. The bigger point is that just cause a bike(company/branch) comes from Japan doesn't mean it can't break the stereotype of being middle class. It just needs something to back up the bigger price tag.
Worroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #257
macrae85
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: New Zealand,Scotland,Arizona USA.
Oddometer: 384
Outwith the new CRF450 'Dakar' bike,and maybe the new RC30 replacement due soon,
is there any bike worth buying.It's time Honda sacked their designer,i mean,who wants
a V4 adventure bike......try lifting that out of a bog?(Crosstourer).
macrae85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #258
cug
--
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sunny California
Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worroll View Post
That comes down to opinion. I've heard comments of BMW's having boring interiors.
I have so far only heard that the Japanese interiors are ugly or that the people don't care. But so what. I don't care for their cars or what others are driving.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #259
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,788
Honda still builds bikes?
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #260
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slowpoke69's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: So. Jersey
Oddometer: 493
Not bad... but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
I like it!

I know the wing has an excellent chassis, engine, etc., but to lose ABS, the trunk,and so on, and STILL want 20K, they can KMA!

I'd go for the Guzzi 1400 Cali way before that. That is one well executed bike!

Granted, it'd look SWEET as a hack after CSM got done with it, and STILL have power to yank a trailer or small camper around!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #261
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Honda still builds bikes?
No, they took two heels off an Accord, cut down the windshield and called it the F6B.
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #262
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: TX
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Honda still builds bikes?
As far as cars go, they seem to be in a race with Toyota to build cars that are the most boring in the world. Let's do a recap of where their interesting cars have gone, shall we?

S2000: Dead. A fantastic ragtop sports car, more fun than the Miata and half the cost of the Boxter.

NSX: Dead.
The first hint that the Japanese were interested in making near-supercars. Imaging how much better the NSR would be over the GT-R if Honda kept making it?

Civic SI: Life support. Bigger, heavier, less powerful.

CRX: Reincarnated as the CR-Z, a prius wannabe.

Is anyone surprised that Honda also makes predictable, reliable, most not very exciting bikes? And if you look at the GT86/FR-S/BRZ, Toyota is showing more signs of life than Honda right now.

OK. 4 Wheels good, 2 wheels better. Back to bikes.
__________________
2013 K1600GT "Coconut"
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #263
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,983
The F6B has a centerstand? How the #^$#@& are you supposed to get that thing up on the stand?
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #264
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
As far as cars go, they seem to be in a race with Toyota to build cars that are the most boring in the world. Let's do a recap of where their interesting cars have gone, shall we?

S2000: Dead. A fantastic ragtop sports car, more fun than the Miata and half the cost of the Boxter.

NSX: Dead.
The first hint that the Japanese were interested in making near-supercars. Imaging how much better the NSR would be over the GT-R if Honda kept making it?

Civic SI: Life support. Bigger, heavier, less powerful.

CRX: Reincarnated as the CR-Z, a prius wannabe.

Is anyone surprised that Honda also makes predictable, reliable, most not very exciting bikes? And if you look at the GT86/FR-S/BRZ, Toyota is showing more signs of life than Honda right now.

OK. 4 Wheels good, 2 wheels better. Back to bikes.


You are pretty far out of touch in regards to the business.

Sports cars typically have a 5 year shelf life before buyers move on to whatever is newer and better. The S2000 was sold for 8 years if I remember correctly. With the increasingly tough safety standards it would have needed a total redesign, and there was enough of a business case for building today, they would.

NSX; same thing, it sold for almost 15 years, and when it was time to decide to build a new one the recession hit.

Civic Si; in its most recent redesign it lost 50 pounds, and gained about 40 ft.lbs of torque, along with 7 or 8 hp.


CRX? There is no such thing. The CRZ is NOT a CRX. How many other successful low priced 2 seaters are available today other than the Miata?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #265
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer
 
Twohondas's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
The F6B has a centerstand? How the #^$#@& are you supposed to get that thing up on the stand?
Piece of cake....just like my 1800....a simple clean and jerk!
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #266
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
How many other successful low priced 2 seaters are available today other than the Miata?
The new Toyabaru BRZ FR-S. Okay, okay, their success remains to be seen.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 AM   #267
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
The new Toyabaru BRZ FR-S. Okay, okay, their success remains to be seen.
That, and they seat 4.
Good try tho.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #268
vicster
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 974
Just saw the new Hondas at the Seattle IMS. Just my opinions, but...
I don't see the stripped Wing selling that well, based both on too much money for what it is (20 grand base, a couple G's more for the deluxe) and listening to the questions being asked of the Honda personnel. 20 grand + the usual is a lot of money for a huge bike with none of the features usually expected by Wing buyers on a bike that looks to me like it will buffet the crap out of you.
The CB1100 is a really sweet bike. Lots of chrome, great paint and build quality and what looks to be upgraded suspension for $9,999. I'll be interested to see if it sells well or remains a niche bike.
I think their 500 twins will sell well in the 5 to $6K price range. I especially like the X version. Economical, reliable and is at least showroom comfortable. I can see myself owning one.
I think with the new 500s and 700s the Chinese will have to work to sell a quality bike for less money than the new Hondas.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #269
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
That, and they seat 4.
Good try tho.
No kidding, didn't realize. Haven't been much into the car world since I got into bikes. Last non-trucks I owned - a Miata and an E30.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #270
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Just saw the new Hondas at the Seattle IMS. Just my opinions, but...
I don't see the stripped Wing selling that well, based both on too much money for what it is (20 grand base, a couple G's more for the deluxe) and listening to the questions being asked of the Honda personnel. 20 grand + the usual is a lot of money for a huge bike with none of the features usually expected by Wing buyers on a bike that looks to me like it will buffet the crap out of you.
The CB1100 is a really sweet bike. Lots of chrome, great paint and build quality and what looks to be upgraded suspension for $9,999. I'll be interested to see if it sells well or remains a niche bike.
I think their 500 twins will sell well in the 5 to $6K price range. I especially like the X version. Economical, reliable and is at least showroom comfortable. I can see myself owning one.
I think with the new 500s and 700s the Chinese will have to work to sell a quality bike for less money than the new Hondas.


The F6B isn't for Current GW buyers, it's aimed at guys shopping Vaqueros, Cross Country's and whatever HD baggies.

I was strangely attracted to the 500X too.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014