Maybe John Lennon was right !

Imagine
Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #11732
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

People are paying attention to that norteno highway murder, but nobody paid any attention to the entire family that was shot and killed south of Veracruz, not far from Tuxtapec that happened just a short while after one rider on this forum passed through there.

Ejecutan a familia en la carretera Tuxtepec, Santa Cruz

ILDEFONSO PACHECO

Tuxtepec, Oax., 20 de Diciembre de 2012.- El pasado martes ejecutaron una pareja sentimental y un menor de edad Ismael Soto, chofer del ex pistolero Andrés Valencia Álvarez del ex tinto líder de la UGOCP, Margarito Montes Parra, cuatro sujetos que viajaban a bordo de un auto compacto de color gris, a la altura del paraje el Zapote pertenece a las Peñitas Veracruz.
MikeMike, are you talking about me? I left Tuxtapec on the 19th, shooting was on the 20th. I seem to be hitting the hot spots this trip - the Creel-Guanchochi road a week before the roadblock and murders there, then just missed out taking this route (from Miguelito "There was a gunfight around Guadalupe y Calvo, (west of parral on rt.24), not long ago and the area is definitely under the influence of cartel(s).") after an old guy at the OXXO, said "solo, no". Now Tuxtepec. And yet I haven't had a moment when I didn't feel safe. Lucky, stupid, or is there really not much the average rider needs to worry about? The way I look at it, your luck might run out one day, but that can happen anywhere anytime...

Oh and PS - this from the Google Translate version;
several shots at Tsuru that was located at the height of the congregation of San Antonio Texas Veracruz.

I nearly stopped there to take a pic of the town name, thought San Antonio Texas was kind of a weird name for a town in Mexico...

dcstrom screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 03:36 PM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #11733
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

San Cristobal looks like it might be a cool place, could be a good next stop, only a few hours from Palenque - anyone know a good place to stay?

BTW Tricepilot, where do I find "your girl" in Palenque?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #11734
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
San Cristobal looks like it might be a cool place, could be a good next stop, only a few hours from Palenque - anyone know a good place to stay?

DC, how long were you in the Veracruz area?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #11735
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Here's a map I just made for you.

The parking area shown on the left is the upper parking area which I've always called the main parking area. It is the parking location closest to the ruins. There is a lower parking area which will bring you in the "back" way to the main plaza, which involves an uphill hike all the way. I recommend the upper parking area which will bring you to the "main" entrance portal to the grand plaza.

Ester is usually to be located selling her artesanias behind The Palace. The dotted blue line is the suggested route from the main (upper) parking lot, past the Temple of the Inscriptions, around The Palace, to the area where you should find her. That spot is depicted by the red circle.

Give me an idea of when you'll be at Palenque and I'll let her know to be on the lookout for you. I'll also verify with her the spot you should find her.

Here is a photo of The Palace with a red arrow pointing behind it to the location I would expect you to find her, and the blue dotted line from the upper parking area. Once you arrive between at the spot between the Temple of the Inscriptions and the The Palace, you'll have to have a pretty good idea of what she looks like, as there are a lot of folks selling artesanias.

Let me know whether or not you have your Spanish down pretty good

tricepilot screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 05:11 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #11736
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

SR, we were only discussing those taxis the other day weren't we? You decided to see what they are made of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE VS. POS MADE IN INDIA TAXI

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #11737
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Here's a map I just made for you.
Ah crap - I missed her! Was at the ruins earlier. For some reason I was thinking she was in town. Good effort on the maps though, I appreciate it.

Today was pissing down rain - disappointing, but not the end of the world :lol

I made the trip out to the Ruinas anyway. I should have taken the underwater camera... I had a plastic sleeve to keep the DSLR dry, which sorta worked.

I felt sorry for the vendors - maybe Esther wasn't even there?

These guys didn't seem to mind.

Trevor
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #11738
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Is that like the german snipers and three cigarette lights... They see you, get excited by the shiny Harley then grab the poor British sap at the end?
And then, BLAMO!!
Someone blasts them with a laser pointer.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #11739
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Ah crap - I missed her! Was at the ruins earlier. For some reason I was thinking she was in town. Good effort on the maps though, I appreciate it.

I felt sorry for the vendors - maybe Esther wasn't even there?
No, she was there.

She said there was a crazed gringo running around naked in the rain, screaming "I am Trevor the Omniscient! The End of the World Is Here!"

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #11740
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
No, she was there.

She said there was a crazed gringo running around naked in the rain, screaming "I am Trevor the Omniscient! The End of the World Is Here!"

Damn ADV'rs have spies everywhere... ok you got me - this is me (naked under the poncho).

Speaking of naked - what's wrong with kids these days? With all the cute hippy girls there, I was hoping for a Woodstock-esque strip off the gear and dance in the rain kind of scene. But noooooo, what a bunch of wimps this generation is eh??
Old 12-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #11741
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
When you come to Mexico you should ride like a local rider. You are expected to because you are on a motorcycle.
Enjoy it. You can't do that in the USA.
Amen to THAT!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #11742
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
SR, we were only discussing those taxis the other day weren't we? You decided to see what they are made of?
Yep, those taxis cost something like 90,000 pesos brand new? I suspect that one reason why they don't import them into the US is that they don't pass the DOTs front impact test.

The safety lesson, if you are going to crash, crash into an Indian taxi not a Jeep. The taxi will take up some of the energy of the impact, the Jeep, not so much.

SR screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 08:50 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:41 PM   #11743
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
DC, yes, you were the rider, but we here in Veracruz never name names, unless you are named Trice, Jimmy, Schizz, Donnie, John, Bob, Shawn, Julio, Graham, Andy, Gregg, Jean Luc, Steve, a Mystery, Raphael, Charlie, Ewan, Arte, Andres, Richard, Danny, Jorge, Oscar, another Andy, a few Daves, and a cast and crew, but no groupies.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #11744
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,556
Jeebus, you guys are a jabbering bunch. I stay away from the thread and It's already multiple pages further down.

Re: below

So now the TVIP and Tourist permit are aligned at 180 days? What was the limit on the tuourist permit before this?

I'm a bit embarrassed that a bunch of pasty white white boys have traveled more and know more about the country of my birth than I do.

Oh, and menudo is awesome (if you grew up with it, otherwise it's probably inedbible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
RE; the UNINTERRUPTED visit of Mexico
.................................................. ..................... precisely worded and nevertheless open to interpretation.
Her is how it works....
When you leave Mexico for an " interruption" back in the USA you DO NOT go to the trouble of getting yourself checked out of Mexico. That is so easy to do, you simply do not go in at the Migracion office to get a Salida stamp in your passport which would require that you also cancel your Tourist Card.
As I explained earlier , when you leave Mexico at the US border the Migracion and Banjercito workers do not come running out of their office to tackle the gringo heading north to take away his documents, nor do they take your temperature and check your diaper ( that is done by US customs when you enter the Homeland ...) . At the Mexican inland Aduana terminals they only check inbound tourist traffic documentation, You are free to cross back and forth between the Zona Fronteriza and the interior as often as you wish while retaining your documents..
When you cross the border to the USA in this manner you are technically still registered as being IN Mexico , legally until the last day of validity of your Tourist Card and TVIP.
When you return to continue your stay in Mexico you are all set up with the documentation. Nobody at the border will flinch if in the cursory random inspection you hold up your current and valid documents. .
Likewise when you get to the inland Migracion checkpoint your documents will be accepted without a problem. .
The only time when you will get yourself into trouble is if you do not cancel the documents before going to the USA and then fail to return at least to the Mexican border terminal with the very same bike BEFORE the expiry date of said documents. That means if you show up with expired documents and you ask that they be cancelled you are exceding the permitted stay period . You will possibly face a fine. You will definitely NOT get your Security Deposit back .
Comprendo ?
This is the detailed background and explains what Kobukan was correctly told . It was also explained in this way to me by the Mexican Migracion worker this past April as I was cancelling my Tourist Card document in order to cross into Belize at Subte Lpoez QRO where cancellation IS mandatory for the Tourist Card but NOT the TVIP.
This also shows that the TVIP is considered to be a multiple entry document , so why would the Tourist Card for the sqme person be any different ? Such variation is illogical. but is applied at te Central American border end of Mexico, not at the USA side.
If the Migracion workers at the USA side of Mexico are going to raise an issue about it the simple way to avoid that is to clam up about your
travels. No need to get chatty and explain that you have been bouncing back and forth between the two countries - just say you had an excelent 6 month stay in Mexico and you forgot where all you have been, so dazzled by the experience are you. .

Old 12-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #11745
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
The little Hyundai Atos is sold all over the world, including in the UK. They offer front air bags in some markets. If the damage did not affect the passenger compartment then all is good. I was once rear ended by a Geo Metro while driving a Subaru Outback. The Metro had similar damage to what is shown in the photos but no incursion into the driver's foot well. I had zero damage to my car. I think the reason thay have not brought the Atos to the US is they they don't want to steal sales from their more profitable small cars and because they would have to add a lot of US mandated stuff thus squeezing the profit margin. There are lots of them buzzing around in Hermosillo, a good city car. Not that great on the killer topes on the secondary roads so we don't see them here too often.

On another note, since the Metro was built by Suzuki, I read today that Suzuki will no longer sell cars in the US after this year.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote